The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Waves plugins worth buying?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl4311 View Post
Bumping this because of the $29 with second plugin for $1 sale. I picked up the Abbey Road J37 and REDD console for $27 and change over on Audio Deluxe. Anything else worth getting? Looks like the sale has been held over for another couple of days.
Read through the thread you will got lots of ideas for other good ones.
Old 6th September 2019
Abbey Road Studio 3 and the head tracker, for those with less than perfect rooms this actually really works.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Abbey Road Studio 3 and the head tracker, for those with less than perfect rooms this actually really works.
Absolutely.

A second plugin for $1 is effectively the same as a 2 for 1 deal. That’s inconsequential though. A good deal is a good deal!! Gotta grab some of that Waves goodness before this deal passes!!
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

so far I grabbed:
lo air
rbass
bassrider
hreverb

I'm about to grab
J37
kramer tape

Kramer tape is an old friend for me. it just is. I get that Softube and u-he supposedly have better tape plugins, but Waves remains my favorite. It sounds the best, feels the best and is the most enjoyable to use.

Waves gets a lot of crap but now that I've used so much stuff, I actually think they're probably overall the best plugin company when it comes to actually usable good sounding and CREATIVE stuff that just works for you.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

I almost hate that Waves has been tarnished in my head by the jibber jabber. I really do enjoy a lot of their plugins.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Bauer Motion
It's Brauer Motion of course. I totally agree it's wonderful when you need it. It saved one channel of mine yesterday that needed more variation and not only gave the part movement, but placed it in the mix as well with some saturation.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

I like F8 (Dynamic EQ), Codex (wavetable synth) and Flow Motion (FM synth).
Old 10th September 2019
No more Waves plugins for me - Just bought Schepps Omni Channel....

So I could have one plugin, which has most of the features I need, and I could work on each channel to a decent extent, without having to switch from one plugin to another.

Something I could definitely use when doing a quick demo, and quick mix as I record., Which I could replace with other plugins if I needed to, later on.

Just something to improve my workflow, and a bit more than the basic channel plugin from Waves... which is also quite ok.

Some of this is just gear lust, hard to resist for the discounted price.

But I see myself giving Waves plugins a holiday for at least 2 years, further to this acquisition, I am sure I have all that I need, for 99% of anything I could wish to do. (along with other plugins from Waves and others which I already own).

No more plugin purchases for me, from Waves or anyone else, definitely need to reign in the impulse buys. No more, not even if they offer them for $10.

Must discipline self....Its not just about the money, but the principle. How many more EQ's and compressors will make any difference - We all have far more than we need.
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hello, No more Waves plugins for me too !
By reputation, the first plugins I bought were Waves. In several years, I bought more than 30 plugs: Expensives, to update very often (= +/- buy them again). And then I changed my computer (from iMac to MacBook Pro) downgrading under El Capitan (10.11.6), the latest most stable version IMO.
Since then, Logic Pro X does not recognize and can not find Waves plugins (it recognizes those of Flux, IKM, InaGRM, Izotope, Kilohearts, Klevgrand, Melda, MH, NI, PA, PSP, Soundspot, Soundtoys, Traktion, WAP , ...).
I have contacted Waves Customer Service Hotline several times. They either did not answer or did not solve the problem. It's crazy, there are plugs that I bought and have never used!
So Waves today: NO THANKS!
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemme View Post
Hello, No more Waves plugins for me too !
By reputation, the first plugins I bought were Waves. In several years, I bought more than 30 plugs: Expensives, to update very often (= +/- buy them again). And then I changed my computer (from iMac to MacBook Pro) downgrading under El Capitan (10.11.6), the latest most stable version IMO.
Since then, Logic Pro X does not recognize and can not find Waves plugins (it recognizes those of Flux, IKM, InaGRM, Izotope, Kilohearts, Klevgrand, Melda, MH, NI, PA, PSP, Soundspot, Soundtoys, Traktion, WAP , ...).
I have contacted Waves Customer Service Hotline several times. They either did not answer or did not solve the problem. It's crazy, there are plugs that I bought and have never used!
So Waves today: NO THANKS!
I have to disagree. from ALL of the companies out there for our line of work. Waves tech support is TOP NOTCH, I'm in Southern Cali and they are open weekends and till late and extremely helpful and will not get off the phone till the issue is addressed. I finally worked my way up to Mercury and yes I am was and still am a little bummed that I did not get EVERYTHING. Back in the early 2000 Mercury was the mother load, yes it was around 8K or so but you would get everything they had, so I thought. But no Abbey, no DTS surround, no that or this. Ugh. So I had to buy some of those separately. But having 90% of all waves I WUP up every 2- 3 years and get a ton of free plug ins that came out during those years I was out of wup and the latest ver.

Any issue either technical or sales or what does this do, etc they are easy to get hold of, Sales in the US, Tech support is overseas and even if your out of WUP they somehow manage to help with getting Lic issues, installs, etc.

In fact from all of the audio companies out there, their tech support is one of the best in the industry. Something other companies can learn from.

I would give them another chance and call waves at 865-909-9200
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

I have some Waves plug-ins that will expire in the next few days unless I renew the WUP. What is the best strategy for these? I'm not inclined to renew until something breaks or they come out with V11 or there is some other compelling reason to upgrade.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have some Waves plug-ins that will expire in the next few days unless I renew the WUP. What is the best strategy for these? I'm not inclined to renew until something breaks or they come out with V11 or there is some other compelling reason to upgrade.

They will expire? I have 90% of their stuff and when WUP runs out I keep them for years and years and use them and re-wup every 3-5 years when I need the latest ver sor OS/PT ver compatibility or because so many new plugs where introduced that I would get for free and WUP'ing would give me another year of free stuff that comes out in the year. Nothing expires, are you on a rental/subscription plan?
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
They will expire? I have 90% of their stuff and when WUP runs out I keep them for years and years and use them and re-wup every 3-5 years when I need the latest ver sor OS/PT ver compatibility or because so many new plugs where introduced that I would get for free and WUP'ing would give me another year of free stuff that comes out in the year. Nothing expires, are you on a rental/subscription plan?
Sorry, no, I meant to say the WUP expires this month. I assume the plugs will keep working, they will just be out of support/upgrades.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, no, I meant to say the WUP expires this month. I assume the plugs will keep working, they will just be out of support/upgrades.

Depends, do you have a bundle?
Which one?

I have mercury, which is pretty much the mother load and SSL collection and almost all the abbeys and a few others. They come out with a few new plugs every year and unless I HAVE TO have it for a project, it is only nice to have (please keep in mind this "nice to have" applies to almost all plug ins from everyone). So I personally would say no. And if something new comes out and you're not under WUP, it'll be on sale when it comes out anyways.

IMHO Wup is ONLY for needing to upgrade to the latest ver due to incompatibly issues with your OS/PT ver or if there's a handful of plugs that have come out that would greatly affect your project.

Also keep in mind, when you re-wup, you get like some huge $200 or something like that 45 day coupon towards more stuff, if you play your cards right you can really get some serious plugs at dirt cheap prices and if you play the game and time it, you can use what you have when you're logged in to upgrade to bigger bundles and huge discounts even when they are on sale to eventually get mercury. I played that game 10 years ago
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

H-Series is the only bundle. The other plugs up for renewal this month are just singles:

Scheps Omni Channel
Grand Rhapsody Piano
Electric 88 Piano
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I have to disagree. ... I'm in Southern Cali and they are open weekends and till late and extremely helpful and will not get off the phone till the issue is addressed. ...
Hmmm ... strange post ... strange message...

This is my real lived experience, my testimony.
You do not have to agree or not.
+ I don't live in US. I mean I'm not a resident of one of the united states in the center of North America. I live in France ! (It seems that Waves is partly French ... but does not answer in French...)
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

... but i will try the phone number you gave me
Old 13th September 2019
Quote:
H-Series is the only bundle. The other plugs up for renewal this month are just singles:

Scheps Omni Channel
Grand Rhapsody Piano
Electric 88 Piano
Excellent plugins to own, and I love all of them......

Waves does make some pretty decent plugins. Of course they cannot be the best at everything so we also need some plugins from other developers, at the very least for variety, and also cos the other developers come at the solution from a different perspective.

When the WUP period ends, the plugins will continue to work forever, and you only upgrade when you think there is something in the new version which you find absolutely essential.

Generally Waves plugins do not add new features, and are relatively stable. Which means most of the time, there is no real benefit to the WUP. For me every 5 or 6 years, maybe I'll pay for the WUP, for the Waves plugins I own, but even that is for me optional, I may never need to do this. IMHO Waves plugins are that stable and reliable.

So on the one hand their lack of new features may be seen as a bad thing, by some, but on the other hand it demonstrates a philosophy of Waves taking their time to get things right, and releasing a stable product. In a way I prefer the Waves approach. It's more like buying hardware - pay once, own it forever.

With bundles, yes WUP entitles you to get some additional plugins that were added to the bundle. You decide if you need these additions.

Rhapsody and Electric 88 have some serious memory management issues, which I hope will get fixed, but in all fairness, we should get these fixes for free, without having to pay anything more, cos these are fixes of their bugs, and not any new feature. The recent posts at this thread (link below) discuss this issue, which affects all Rhapsody and Electric versions on Windows and Mac.

Waves Grand Rhapsody, piano VI
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head

I use the J37 on every channel, almost without fail. I love what it does to the sound of pretty much everything.
I use the REDD .51 heaps, same as above really.
I am growing to love the Scheps Omni. I've found it really flexible and that saturation knob. Bloody hell that's good for invigorating things!
I like Brauer Motion plugin as well for exciting-up pads, verbs, delays. Brilliant!

But nothing for me beats FabFilter's Q3 Eq. That's been worth all the pennies I put into it.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Woller View Post
I use the J37 on every channel, almost without fail. I love what it does to the sound of pretty much everything.
I use the REDD .51 heaps, same as above really.
I am growing to love the Scheps Omni. I've found it really flexible and that saturation knob. Bloody hell that's good for invigorating things!
I like Brauer Motion plugin as well for exciting-up pads, verbs, delays. Brilliant!

But nothing for me beats FabFilter's Q3 Eq. That's been worth all the pennies I put into it.
Never was able to get into J37. I like softube tape and AA Taupe but J37 I can’t figure out. What settings do you use and for what?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just called waves last week 2nd time I maybe 10 years
. Got someone on the phone within minutes and it’s was long tech support but they solved it
So yeah they are good I think ..
I didn’t wup for years then went to Mojave’s so needed v10

As a side note the few times I’m at another persons studio I end up using waves if they have some they work and are easy to transfer sessions

Gold is worth having no matter, I’ve seen it for 99 on sale lots of great pieces in there, rcomp, maxxbass ir convo rev with 3gig ir , ren eq mv2 really great deal
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never was able to get into J37. I like softube tape and AA Taupe but J37 I can’t figure out. What settings do you use and for what?
I love J37, though IK Tape has somewhat replaced it as my goto tape emulator.

I pretty much always run it normal bias, 15 ips, 811 tape, with noise, wow, and flutter set to 0. I try to keep the input and output to 0 and just adjust the level feeding into it until there's way too much saturation, then back it down until the saturation is subtle.

I just talked about this in another thread, but I also like to group instruments into one tape plugin, so I'll route multiple tracks into one instance of J37 and usually a console plugin like TG12345, then adjust to taste. Running different instruments thru the same tape and console emulator helps glue things together.

Then I usually put another instance of J37 on the main buss set up the same way to act as the master tape deck.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can still update your plugins via Waves Central if the WUP is expired. If and when V11 were to come out you would need to pay to upgrade to that.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
You can still update your plugins via Waves Central if the WUP is expired. If and when V11 were to come out you would need to pay to upgrade to that.
Thanks. Good to know I can get fixes. I just updated using Waves Central about 11 days ago.

Just curious, does anyone know what's up with the multiple Waveshell VST files on Windows?

I have files named WaveShell1-VST 10.0_x64 as well as WaveShell2, 4, and 5. Both dll and vst3. I just got Voltage Modular and I'm not sure which WaveShell to use for their plugin host. They don't have a typical plugin browser. You have to select a dll or vst3 from the file system.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
It depends on what I'm doing with it, but I often bounce between tweaked versions of a couple of presets to help place elements from front to back (in addition to EQ of course).

I've found "Mastering Fat and Tight" to be great for pulling things forward, but I have to drag down the Noise Level and I prefer to bring down the Input and bring up the Output so the signal stays a bit cleaner.

I love "Mastering Hi Freq Smoothing..." for pushing things back in the mix a bit and helping to control anything too toppy in drums, for instance. That one usually needs a tweak to Input-Output as well.

That a big part of getting the most out of it for me, I think. Pulling back the Input so it's not breaking up so much otherwise I find it's unusable, though someone else might love that!! :D

I also use it HEAPS for vocal slap delays because it disappears backwards into the mix nicely.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
I love J37, though IK Tape has somewhat replaced it as my goto tape emulator.

I pretty much always run it normal bias, 15 ips, 811 tape, with noise, wow, and flutter set to 0. I try to keep the input and output to 0 and just adjust the level feeding into it until there's way too much saturation, then back it down until the saturation is subtle.

I just talked about this in another thread, but I also like to group instruments into one tape plugin, so I'll route multiple tracks into one instance of J37 and usually a console plugin like TG12345, then adjust to taste. Running different instruments thru the same tape and console emulator helps glue things together.

Then I usually put another instance of J37 on the main buss set up the same way to act as the master tape deck.
IK Tape! I just got them. Plugged in 440 literally 10 mins ago and I'm stoked on the sound.

Not to to go too off topic but which IK tapes do you favor?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Most use 80. 99 and 440 also great. 24 is also great but till now get the least use.

Really a great plugin bundle. High quality sh**
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Waves plugs are great if you are in the business long-term. They are very much backwards compatible, they load up without much hassle. The guys at the company are very cool too.

I mostly use
The DBX 160
MV2
H-Delay
R-Vox
R-Comp
CLA76
Torque
Smack Attack
I love the new CLA Mixhub Channel strip.

I don’t really use WAVES much on my own personal work too often, not in comparison to say UAD or Plugin Alliance who just have more exciting products to me. (even the new Arturia compressors and EQ's are fantastic!)
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

What positive Effect bring's the CLA mixhub for you?

I absolutely love the Omni channel. Such a great great tool with a wonderful sound
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

Omni Channel is mind blowing in terms of results. I'm too ADD to use it on every track though with so many other options.

CLA Mix Hub is a good smooth sounding SSL. I don't really like "blue" compressor it sounds mushy to me. Leave it on VCA compressor for my ears. It's a gentle compressor but it doesn't mess up the sound too much.

Can be tough to pick a good channel strip with so many available such as the superb Plugin Alliance bx consoles.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search