The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LatencyMon - please take a look
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

LatencyMon - please take a look

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a trouble with click and pops, apparently there are some troubles (according to LatencyMon), here are the pictures. I'm not using WLAN.

Thanks,

k
Attached Thumbnails
LatencyMon - please take a look-latencymon.jpg   LatencyMon - please take a look-processes.jpg   LatencyMon - please take a look-drivers.jpg   LatencyMon - please take a look-drivers-isrc.jpg  
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

do you have nvidia card?

try also dpc lat
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

It might be helpful if you provide details of your system and software. . .
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I found that LatencyMon plugin to be totally useless. It doesn't tell you why you might have latency, and it surely doesn't test your actual audio data flowing through the port.

I also found I couldn't get that Latency plugin deinstalled properly and suspect it caused some issues on my system.

The other DPC Latency monitor is far better. Its non invasive and simply tells you if your system passes of fails. If it fails its typically a video or network card issue. You cant tweak the system then try the plugin again to look for improvements. Again it doesn't tell you why you have high latency. Removal is 100% just by deleting the file too.

Computers ALWAYS have latency. There's simply no way around it. A computer does what its supposed to - Compute Numbers and the larger the numbers the longer it takes to run algorhythms. Luckily you simply need to buffer the audio data so it doesn't crash the CPU and then use the direct through zero latency analog Monitoring when tracking and then it simply doesn't matter how king the data takes when being processed. I used to have to crank the latency way up on old computers to avoid crashing. Never had an impact on the finished tracks. Of course I didn't try and run plugins in real time either so processing speed wasn't a factor.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac
DPC Latency Checker doesn't work in Windows 8 and 10. OP's screenshot looks like Win 10 to me, definitely different from Win 7.

LatencyMon clearly shows ndis.sys and usbport.sys are causing problems, so you can google "ndis.sys dpc latency" and "usbport.sys dpc latency" for potential solutions.

Here is one link to get started:

Solving DPC Latency Issues - SweetCare | Sweetwater
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
do you have nvidia card?
No, just a very od AMD RADEON HD5450.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottering View Post
DPC Latency Checker doesn't work in Windows 8 and 10. OP's screenshot looks like Win 10 to me, definitely different from Win 7.

LatencyMon clearly shows ndis.sys and usbport.sys are causing problems, so you can google "ndis.sys dpc latency" and "usbport.sys dpc latency" for potential solutions.

Here is one link to get started:

Solving DPC Latency Issues - SweetCare | Sweetwater
Thanks, I'm on WIN 10.

Here's my setup:

Computer
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V GEN3
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
AMD Radeon HD 5450
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Memory 16 GB

All drivers are up to date.

k
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Posted this in answer to the same question you asked in another thread 6 hours ago....but I guess you abandoned that one so lets try again.

Have you set computer power scheme to high performance?

Disabled USB selective suspend?

Turned off "allow computer to turn off this device" for all USB hubs in device manager?

Did you run other software while latencymon was running?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,

first of all.. I'd just remind, that initial DPC latency measurement should be done when your computer is idle.
So no audio playback, no DAW running.. just plain Windows running Latency Mon (Which is of course supported at Windows 10).

According to your screenshots, there's lot of DPC activity at USB bus, SCSI miniport driver (maybe some external drive), but also couple of exceedingly long times at network (NDIS and TCP/IP stack).

I will need some further rounds of testing to (you can copy data from LatencyMon via clipboard using ctrl+s and ctrl+c or via Edit menu and then paste those some notepad, wordpad or so track possible changes in measurements data during your tests).
- be sure always test that during idle state and keep it running for couple of minutes
- make 1st test with your current connected hardware you'd like to normally use as a baseline.
- try disconnect physically your external drives (if there's any)
- try to completely disable network adapter driver (via Windows Device manager)
- try to disable Bluetooth if it's enabled
- disable any resident software, which isn't necessary for DAW use.. (like Windows defender)

Michal
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

first of all.. I'd just remind, that initial DPC latency measurement should be done when your computer is idle.
So no audio playback, no DAW running.. just plain Windows running Latency Mon (Which is of course supported at Windows 10).

According to your screenshots, there's lot of DPC activity at USB bus, SCSI miniport driver (maybe some external drive), but also couple of exceedingly long times at network (NDIS and TCP/IP stack).

I will need some further rounds of testing to (you can copy data from LatencyMon via clipboard using ctrl+s and ctrl+c or via Edit menu and then paste those some notepad, wordpad or so track possible changes in measurements data during your tests).
- be sure always test that during idle state and keep it running for couple of minutes
- make 1st test with your current connected hardware you'd like to normally use as a baseline.
- try disconnect physically your external drives (if there's any)
- try to completely disable network adapter driver (via Windows Device manager)
- try to disable Bluetooth if it's enabled
- disable any resident software, which isn't necessary for DAW use.. (like Windows defender)

Michal
+100000

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search