The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best guitar VSTi?
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I agree. No articulations is a disappointment but what do you want for free?
I noticed that it's quite useful, as there are noise samples, mutes and 'chokes'. The sound on those is kind of different, still checking it out.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
RealGuitar/RealStrat/RealLPC by MusicLab still do it for me.
Am I right that the MusicLab guitars do not need the Kontakt player? I've been looking all over their website and the Requirements section, and no mention of Kontakt.

Is their product all self-contained?
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Yes, no need for kontakt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
Am I right that the MusicLab guitars do not need the Kontakt player? I've been looking all over their website and the Requirements section, and no mention of Kontakt.

Is their product all self-contained?
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTifty View Post
What's great about Shreddage 3 is that it has tapping samples, don't think there's any other virtual guitar library that has that. But man, it just sounds awful when put through a high-gain amp sim in order to get a metal lead sound.
Why is it so noisy? I tried every amp sim & they all sounded really rough.

Anyone from Impact chime in plz.
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Just going to update, as I got a chance at trying out Shreddage 3 Jupiter and Serpent. Jupiter is the best sounding lead guitar VST now. Like, god damn. Got my high overdrive in Amplitube, and I didn't have to mess around to get a great, searing metal lead. Serpent is also good, but more for a proto-metal lead. Think Dokken - Don't Lie To Me, whereas Jupiter is more Rhapsody - Emerald Sword.

We finally have guitar VSTs that don't require an ungodly amount of tweaking, EQ after EQ, and actually has good mod wheel vibrato.

Stratus still sucks arse though.
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTifty View Post
Shreddage 3 is good for clean guitars and maybe some standard rock, but is far too noisy to be good for metal; tried running it through Amplitube and Bias FX, and it was just too noisy. The tone behind the noise was pretty decent, and the tapping mode is great, but again, it's just too noisy.

Shreddage 2 with updates (with the suffix v2e) is very good for Rhythm. Goes well with Guitar Rig, with the Corn Now preset being my reliable fall-back.

Ample Sound's AME isn't great, but it's the best I've found for a metal lead. Shreddage just cannot do a quality lead sound in my experience, AGG is good but it's too whiny with a decent amount of overdrive/distortion applied, and the Evolution guitars sound like crap midi when distorted. I found that Joey Sturgis' Toneforge Menace is as good an amp sim to pair it with as any.

8Dio's Post Apocalyptic guitar isn't good. Sure, with the default settings it might have some use as a background sound, but upfront, especially when run through an amp sim? Ew.

Prominy V-Metal sounds really thin, and I just could not get it to sound anything like the videos on Youtube. It always had this whiny sound to it, and nobody ever shares how their amp sim setup in order to replicate a proper sound. It just sounded bad when put through Peavey Revalver, and bad but not as bad when put through Bias FX.

So yeah, Shreddage 2 for Rhythm, and Ample AME for lead, if metal is what you're aiming for.
Dude, Prominy released Guitar Rig / Amplitube presets for V Metal, almost all demo songs' amp settings are there (as well as MIDI files).
I have been using these presets for years, I don't even bother to change anything, they just sound great & convincing.
If memory serves, I got them at the member area.

Anyway I am a semi-pro guitar player, and here is my 2cents:

Get Prominy if you are looking for the best, it has more RR and real chord strumming samples, real sustained slides.

if you only need a cheap library for arpeggios / simple power chords on every beat, then get orange tree / Ample. (Electri6ity is also OK, but it is a bundle library.)

I think that everyone should stay away from Shreddage, samples are super super noisy.
ah, actually Pearl Concert Grand, Koto Nation are noisy too, not as noisy as Shreddage though, I think they just have bad recording gears.
(Not so sure about Koto Nation because I haven't used it for a while, btw Koto 13 from Sonica is my current go-to koto library
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLcRusaDer_kA View Post
Dude, Prominy released Guitar Rig / Amplitube presets for V Metal, almost all demo songs' amp settings are there (as well as MIDI files).
I have been using these presets for years, I don't even bother to change anything, they just sound great & convincing.
If memory serves, I got them at the member area.

Anyway I am a semi-pro guitar player, and here is my 2cents:

Get Prominy if you are looking for the best, it has more RR and real chord strumming samples, real sustained slides.
Agreed. Also see #26 :
Best guitar VSTi?
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick View Post
Agreed. Also see #26 :
Best guitar VSTi?
Ha, actually that is to be expected.
electri6ity is a bit dated, no big update, no snapshot, bundle library = starting price is not cheap.

the previous GUI style of Prominy was not that user-friendly, the learning curve could be steep, also Prominy guys are a little bit lacking in marketing, they should have mentioned the number of RR, made it clear that everything is chromatically sampled...etc. eg,Hummingbird has 16 down picked sustain + 16 up picked sustain single note samples, competitors just got BTFO

I forgot to mention ilya guitars, they are also good, slides and gliss are real, not modeled, thus sound more convincing than OTS, but they lack slide down(not to be confused with gliss down).
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Nut

Can you create a rythm guitar with these virtual instruments that sound like this rythm guitar riff?

https://youtu.be/_sM2sKk4DPM?t=33

Of yes show me I mean only the verse-rythm guitar there. Pretty easy to play.
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_well View Post
Can you create a rythm guitar with these virtual instruments that sound like this rythm guitar riff?

https://youtu.be/_sM2sKk4DPM?t=33

Of yes show me I mean only the verse-rythm guitar there. Pretty easy to play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtLs7IsqNfw
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

reading some of the comments in this thread made me want to like musiclab, but in two comparison videos I found (one electric, and one acoustic) I immediately prefer the sound of the Ample Sound guitar when it is played directly after the Musiclab guitar:

https://youtu.be/ctp4Vk_wx0c
(to be fair this is using realstrat3 and realstat5 should be better...but then again looking at when the video was posted the AmpleSound guitar had to be just as old)

https://youtu.be/8-Fuf7aBc2c
Old 16th July 2019
No matter what ... I have basically all the Guitar VSTis and Sample Libraries ... I find the Native Instruments Acoustic Strummer 1 and 2 by far the most usable and realistic guitar plugin that I always come back to use ...
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Orange Tree Samples Dracus and Strawberry.
I've scoured their website for anything resembling a User's Manual to no avail. Is there one?

Do the Orange Tree Samples have keyswitches already programmed for their guitars?

If not, is there a scripting language you are supposed to get from somewhere and load it in, which is their a manual on that as well?

I can't find a written tutorial on this subject.

Anybody?
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
I've scoured their website for anything resembling a User's Manual to no avail. Is there one?

Do the Orange Tree Samples have keyswitches already programmed for their guitars?

If not, is there a scripting language you are supposed to get from somewhere and load it in, which is their a manual on that as well?

I can't find a written tutorial on this subject.

Anybody?
You can choose the key switches you want. No manual needed, it's a self explanatory page on the interface.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
You can choose the key switches you want. No manual needed, it's a self explanatory page on the interface.
Ok. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search