The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going to pull the trigger on UAD - QUAD/OCTO? Equalizer Plugins
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Going to pull the trigger on UAD - QUAD/OCTO?

Hey All,

I've finally decided to pull the trigger and jump ship to UAD

Been using a mixture of Waves & stock LPX plugins until now and decided that some UAD flavor would benefit my mixes.

Currently, UAD is running two promotions:

1) Get the QUAD TB - SSL E Channel Strip + Neve 1073 Collection + UA 610 Collection bundled for free

2) Get the OCTO TB - SSL E Channel Strip + Neve 1073 Collection + UA 610 Collection + API Vision Channel Strip bundled for free

I mainly produce trance/progressive house and am wondering whether a QUAD will cut it or should I just go for broke and get the OCTO?

My usual track count is around 70-100 tracks and my workflow revolves around multiple sub groups, buses and aux sends for FX.

The primary use intended is Pultec/LA-2A/Fairchild on main elements (kick/bass/percs) and maybe the SSL & Neve in some specific cases.

From a plugin-value/usefulness perspective,
do you think the OCTO is a better proposition, given the extra API channel strip included - does it make sense to have two channel strips at this initial stage?

In terms of future investment, looking to add the Studer A-800, Manley Massive Passive and Studio D Chorus at some point.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

I myself have the octo and i mix songs with about 20-30 tracks and the dsp can go quickly with the new ssl channel strip but the legacy version uses much less, you can use the new one on more important tracks and legacy on the less important.. when i made the jump from waves to uad i felt an improvement in quality and i havent looked back quad is like half the power of the octo and with 100 track sessions i think only the octo will be any use to you
Old 6th March 2018
70-100 tracks is OCTO territory. You won’t regret it.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Addict

Sounds like you need the OCTO, especially if you are running 96k.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys,

Although my track count is usually 70-100 tracks, my intention is not to use UAD plugs exclusively on every channel.
Perhaps more strategically e.g. on the bass, percs and pad bus and maybe a little action on the 2-bus.
Apart from this, maybe some individual tracks that really need the treatment.

I'll supplement the UAD stuff with stock & some native plugs (mostly Glue Compressor, Soundtoys Sie-Q, Fabfilter Pro-Q and a few others)

How do the UAD legacy plugins stack up against the more current native plugs?
I'm on LPX and 10.4 includes some vintage tube EQ emulations that are very close to the UAD Neve / API / Pultec.

What I'm mulling over now is to get the QUAD Custom and opt for -
1) Studer A800
2) Manley Massive Passive
3) Fatso / Manley Vari-Mu / Culture Vulture (undecided)

This way I get the Analog Classics Plus + Neve 1073, SSL E Channel Strip, UA-610 + above.

Should I initially prioritize having a palette of plugins or UAD horsepower?

Thanks!

EDIT: Definitely won't be in 96K, always 44.1
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunbkk View Post
Hey guys,

Although my track count is usually 70-100 tracks, my intention is not to use UAD plugs exclusively on every channel.
Perhaps more strategically e.g. on the bass, percs and pad bus and maybe a little action on the 2-bus.
Apart from this, maybe some individual tracks that really need the treatment.

I'll supplement the UAD stuff with stock & some native plugs (mostly Glue Compressor, Soundtoys Sie-Q, Fabfilter Pro-Q and a few others)

How do the UAD legacy plugins stack up against the more current native plugs?
I'm on LPX and 10.4 includes some vintage tube EQ emulations that are very close to the UAD Neve / API / Pultec.

What I'm mulling over now is to get the QUAD Custom and opt for -
1) Studer A800
2) Manley Massive Passive
3) Fatso / Manley Vari-Mu / Culture Vulture (undecided)

This way I get the Analog Classics Plus + Neve 1073, SSL E Channel Strip, UA-610 + above.

Should I initially prioritize having a palette of plugins or UAD horsepower?

Thanks!

EDIT: Definitely won't be in 96K, always 44.1
I haven't made the jump yet, but according to my calculations, I need at least 2 Octo cards.

I'd say go for more horsepower. You can always add more plugs. But if you go underpowered, you've boxed yourself in to an underpowered card.

I have an excel spreadsheet somewhere on my HD that I created to calculate how many cards I'd need based on plugs I'd select for a mix. I've never attached an excel file on GS, but I imagine it's possible. If not, I can send it to you. (It's a really ROUGH sketch document.)
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Head

Definitely Octo. I went Quad, because I figured it would be plenty, but it bottoms out a lot faster than I anticipated.
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

I say go OCTO as well. I have a QUAD but also 2 PCI cards or whatever they are called. As someone said, better to have the power because if you go QUAD and run into situations with not enough power you will be pissed at yourself and you can always get more plugins.

Also, I hear ya that you intend to only use select UAD2 plugins but trust me, as you see how good they all are you will end up deciding to use them instead of other plugins so I think that is another reason to opt for the OCTO.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Also, I hear ya that you intend to only use select UAD2 plugins but trust me, as you see how good they all are you will end up deciding to use them instead of other plugins so I think that is another reason to opt for the OCTO.
couldn't agree more. sometimes a new one will come out and totally changes the way you mix - after I used the Chandler Curve Bender in the studio I immediately got the plugin, and I reach for it so often I'll print it on snare or guitar to free up the DSP for buses. Same with Distressor. I have 6 cores at the moment and even though I try to use them mainly on buses it still fills up fast.

and that API channel strip is incredible for drums and synths/samples, both real and programmed. you can use the line amp to give it a little hair, the HPF/LPF and comp to give it a place to sit, and the EQ to radically shape the personality. I actually use it a lot more than the Neve, which I thought I'd use more when I got them but the latter mainly sees guitar bus and vocal bus use.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Guru

Octo. I went octo. You won't regret it.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Nut

Seems like Octo is the way to go.

Now onto my second question - how much mileage can I get with the Legacy plugins that come along with the Core unit?

As I understand, the legacy plugs are outdated, going way back to 2001.

Do they stack up well against the current native / stock plugs?
I'm especially interested in the LA-2A / 1176 / Pultec legacy versions and whether they can hold their own against the current Waves / Slate offerings.

LPX 10.4 has some new Vintage Tube EQ's and although I've not upgraded yet,
it seems they're equivalent or in some cases, better than the UAD Pultec / Neve legacy.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Nut

Trigger pulled - got the Octo.

The SSL E Channel Strip, API Vision Channel Strip, Neve 1073 and UA-610 collection came bundled for free.

Also got the Brigade Chorus for free upon signing up for the newsletter.

Also found a $100 registration coupon coupled with the March $50 coupon.

Life is good

I have enough to get either the EMT 140 or the BX 20 verb..thoughts on which is better?

Thoughts on which is better?
Old 10th March 2018
Two Gear Heads

Quote:

The SSL E Channel Strip, API Vision Channel Strip, Neve 1073 and UA-610 collection came bundled for free.

Life is good

I have enough to get either the EMT 140 or the BX 20 verb..thoughts on which is better?

Congratulations with the Octo and the promo plugins, I love the API and SSL channel plugins a lot, I’m positive you will too!

I have the EMT-140 and BX-20 (and many more) and I find it hard to to come up with a suggestion which of these two to pick.

The thing is, I have used the EMT-140 so much, it really is a great reverb to have! The BX-20 I don’t use that much but at the same time I think it’s an extraordinary plugin. It’s organic, full of character, unlike any other reverb I have. When it works, nothing beats it. But because it’s so unique, it doesn’t work on everything in my experience. It would never become my desert island reverb, but I’m very happy to have it, absolutely zero regrets that I added it to my collection.

But, there are some other UAD verbs (I’m skipping the native verbs since this is an UAD topic) that I use more these days: AMS RMX16 Expanded gets used a lot, but mainly on vocals and acoustic instruments. On synthesizers, from all my UAD verbs it’s pretty much always the Lexicon 224, or the EMT250. I love how lush these verbs can be and this is often what I need on synthesizer leads, pads, keys, etc. An EMT140 or RMX16 can sound a bit metallic on these type of sounds in my experience, but I realise that can also be a desirable effect.

So yeah, I’m not really helpful I realise, sorry! Good luck with the decision!
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Life is good

Being a Logic/UAD user, I'd say put the money towards stereo-buss centric plugins. Logic's EQs, comps and reverbs(the new Chromaverb is great) are pretty good and CPU friendly. 2 plugins that never leave my main out buss in Logic are 33609 and Ampex tape, 2 things Logic doesn't do super well... YMMV

KA
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

So I sat down with a new single I'm writing at the moment.

Some initial impressions playing around with the plugins:

API Vision is next level and so good on well...EVERYTHING! Tested it on kick, bass bus and snare with fantastic results! The HPF and EQ's are amazing and it sounds good driven hard when cranking up the pre-amp gain.

I still haven't made friends with the Neve 1073, but will have another crack it it later.

Pultec and LA-2A legacy are also excellent - used it on a ESP bass patch with great results.

Tried the SSL Vision Channel Strip on the master bus and it sounds excellent - however, I probably need to dial in my settings more carefully.

Back to reading the manuals and further experiments... bye bye Waves
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Congratulations with the Octo and the promo plugins, I love the API and SSL channel plugins a lot, I’m positive you will too!

I have the EMT-140 and BX-20 (and many more) and I find it hard to to come up with a suggestion which of these two to pick.

The thing is, I have used the EMT-140 so much, it really is a great reverb to have! The BX-20 I don’t use that much but at the same time I think it’s an extraordinary plugin. It’s organic, full of character, unlike any other reverb I have. When it works, nothing beats it. But because it’s so unique, it doesn’t work on everything in my experience. It would never become my desert island reverb, but I’m very happy to have it, absolutely zero regrets that I added it to my collection.

But, there are some other UAD verbs (I’m skipping the native verbs since this is an UAD topic) that I use more these days: AMS RMX16 Expanded gets used a lot, but mainly on vocals and acoustic instruments. On synthesizers, from all my UAD verbs it’s pretty much always the Lexicon 224, or the EMT250. I love how lush these verbs can be and this is often what I need on synthesizer leads, pads, keys, etc. An EMT140 or RMX16 can sound a bit metallic on these type of sounds in my experience, but I realise that can also be a desirable effect.

So yeah, I’m not really helpful I realise, sorry! Good luck with the decision!
The "problem" with the UAD reverbs is they are all vintage emulations - often quite good, but not necessarily general purpose. If I was going to get a single UAD verb, it would probably be the Lex 224. It is a little more general purpose and a very, very good clone of the hardware. I used to use the EMT 140, but I really like the Soundtoys Little Plate better these days.

The one UAD EQ that is unique (and fantastic) is the Massenburg parametric. It is incredibly transparent but musical and is not available in native except for PT. The Bob Katz K-Stereo plug from UAD is also unavailable in native except an expensive Windows-only version. I also agree on the tape emulations.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

I demoed the Oxide Tape today and I love it!

Out of frustration, after many tries with other plugins, I applied it on my bass bus after the Glue Compressor and everything just fell into place - at the default setting

Just putting the tape sim completely negated the need for EQ and evened out the bass levels.

I followed this with the API Channel Strip for some final saturation / a little compression and I was set.

I am sold on the Oxide Tape and will probably get it using my coupons - not before after giving some other plugins a try though.

However, it does seem that getting the UAD tape sim will probably be the best use of my coupon(s).

I recall there was a deal sometime ago where Oxide owners could get the Studer/Ampex at a reduced price?
Old 13th March 2018
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back to reading the manuals and further experiments... bye bye Waves
I wouldn't get in the brand thing or ultimately you may be disappointed. Waves makes some great plugs, and that's coming from a very pro UAD fan. I'm not sure what UAD tools you are replacing Waves with, but there are a lot where there is no UAD substitute. In addition, you may encounter a bit of gear envy with those who proclaim their less expensive non-UAD tool works just as good or better. IMO i'ts just not worth it. Your tools rarely make or break you, it's how you use them and your experience.

I use the 1176 more than anything else. But sometimes, depending on your objectives, and the given content, the Waves Ren Comp just seems to work better* than any of my UAD compression tools.

Use what works best in the moment. These are just tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
The one UAD EQ that is unique (and fantastic) is the Massenburg parametric. It is incredibly transparent but musical and is not available in native except for PT. The Bob Katz K-Stereo plug from UAD is also unavailable in native except an expensive Windows-only version. I also agree on the tape emulations.
I find the only users who suggest anything other than Massenburg for EQ surgical tasks are those who haven't used it or have little experience with it. While the ProQ2 is fabulous, it's a more general EQ. Apologies for my snobbery in advance, but IMO nothing else manifests such transparent results. I don't use it very often, but when it's needed it works, and its so clean.

*totally subjective, and it's about color
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I wouldn't get in the brand thing or ultimately you may be disappointed. Waves makes some great plugs, and that's coming from a very pro UAD fan. I'm not sure what UAD tools you are replacing Waves with, but there are a lot where there is no UAD substitute. In addition, you may encounter a bit of gear envy with those who proclaim their less expensive non-UAD tool works just as good or better. IMO i'ts just not worth it. Your tools rarely make or break you, it's how you use them and your experience.
I have used multiple Waves plugins extensively for many years - L2 / CLA-2A / CLA-76 / REQ / RComp / SSL EQ / API-2500 / Rverb / VEQ3 / VEQ4 etc. and although they are first-rate, I found that I could get results much quicker with UAD plugs.

But yes, they are tools at the end of the day.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found that I could get results much quicker with UAD plugs.
I think that is the greatest benefit of most UAD tools. They just seem to work easier and quicker. And no, I'm not always looking at the GUI.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Life is good

Both are really good but I personally use the EMT 140 more because it's still my favorite plate reverb.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Both are really good but I personally use the EMT 140 more because it's still my favorite plate reverb.
Thanks for the feedback, however, decided to get the Oxide Tape Recorder with my coupons first.

I have the Tone2 WarmVerb, Soundtoys Little Plate and Arts Acoustic verbs,
that are fantastic for trance/progressive house, so not really hurting for reverbs at the moment.

I am just loving the Oxide Tape as the first plugin on individual tracks and discovering that I need to process much less later in the chain.

Also demoing the Manley Massive Passive and am blown away.

I put it on the 2-bus, just used my ears to dial in some settings and compared the level matched before and after, and it really opened the track up in such a musical and punchy way.

The Pultec Passive EQ collection and Massive Passive are next on my list come summer / BF / EOY sales.
Old 7th July 2018
Here for the gear
What about the same question for much less tracks, let's say 10 but being able to be fairly unlimited in the amount of processing for each and adding processing on buses etc?
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Nut

I'd say it's best to future proof yourself and go for the OCTO - you won't regret the extra processing power down the road.

Best time to purchase a QUAD/OCTO is during a promotion period, when they throw in a bunch of plugins for free.
When I purchased the OCTO, I got 1) UA-610 Preamp and EQ Collection 2) Neve 1073 3) API Vision Channel Strip 4) SSL Channel Strip for free - totally worth it.
Old 19th July 2018
Here for the gear
thanks varunbkk, that's really useful to know - i will bide my time and wait for a similar deal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search