The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opinions on this Laptop? (new Asus Zenbook)
Old 5th March 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
Opinions on this Laptop? (new Asus Zenbook)

Dear community,
My Asus Notebook which I've been using for about 9 years (!) is supposed to be substituted by a new one.

Currently I've found this particular one and need your opinions:
Asus Zenbook UX3430UA
  • 14" Full-HD
  • Intel Core i7-8550U / 4x 1.80 GHz / Kaby Lake R / 8mb cache
  • 16 GB RAM / LPDDR3 /PC3L-14900S (1866MHz)
  • 512 GB SSD M.2
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10

Price 1300€ / about 1600 $

direct link to a german online shop

I'm planning to use it with Samplitude Pro X3 Suite + Tascam US2000 (i.e. multitracking with 12 mics at once for drums)
  1. Do you think any of the specs could be an issue in terms of latency/anything else?
  2. Or is any of these specs a plain overkill?


Thank you very much in advance,
Roman

Last edited by romanxtk; 5th March 2018 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: added my interface
Old 5th March 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanxtk View Post
Dear community,
My Asus Notebook which I've been using for about 9 years (!) is supposed to be substituted by a new one.

Currently I've found this particular one and need your opinions:
Asus Zenbook UX3430UA
  • 14" Full-HD
  • Intel Core i7-8550U / 4x 1.80 GHz / Kaby Lake R / 8mb cache
  • 16 GB RAM / LPDDR3 /PC3L-14900S (1866MHz)
  • 512 GB SSD M.2
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10

Price 1300€ / about 1600 $

direct link to a german online shop

I'm planning to use it with Samplitude Pro X3 Suite.
  1. Do you think any of the specs could be an issue in terms of latency/anything else?
  2. Or is any of these specs a plain overkill?


Thank you very much in advance,
Roman
What's the makeup of an average project, for you?
Old 5th March 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
I'm using a Tascam US2000 (+SM Pro Audio Preamp) with Sam Pro X3 using nearly all mic inputs at once for drums, later just doing overdubs.

Most of my work are Rock songs with up to 40 tracks (including submix busses) and 2-4 plugins (DAW built-in and 3rd party) per track.
No midi use yet, but certainly will come in the future.
Currently I'm working with 16bit 44.1 khz on a win7 64bit system.

So I'm a pretty basic user without any scientific intentions.
Old 6th March 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

The clock speed of the CPU is the only real issue I see and that depends on VSTi count and latency needs when you start adding MIDI. A second drive for projects never hurts although the necessity has lessened with SSD's.

Have you checked out any of the DAW builders around here? The regulars all seem reputable and freely participate here.
Old 6th March 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Do some research as some of the new 15 watt, 4-core processors may run at "high" frequencies for only short bursts.
Old 6th March 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanallen View Post
Do some research as some of the new 15 watt, 4-core processors may run at "high" frequencies for only short bursts.
It says 4x 1,8ghz / turbo 4ghz but I don't know how to interpret that in relation to latency and/or vsti limitations.
Old 6th March 2018
  #7
Gear Head
 

So your 9-year-old Asus netbook will likely be trounced by this machine, and it should handle any projects you're currently doing super well. Pretty much all modern DAWs have multithread support now so the advantage of having 4 cores is pretty huge.

The CPU speed may be a bottleneck but I don't think you'll have huge issues. 16gb of RAM should be plenty. I think for the money the i5-8250U is actually a much better value. 1.6GHz but quite a bit cheaper.

Alternatively you could get a really good performance ("gaming") laptop for around the same price but it will be much heavier and the battery will drain much quicker. The Zenbook has really good reviews about build quality, weight, design, etc. but they aren't really made for music production.

Also have you thought about a desktop? You can get a lot more performance per dollar from building a desktop, but of course laptops have their owns advantages.

So, I don't think your choice is a bad one at all, but I hope you check these out as well just to consider your options.

This plus upgrading to an internal SSD (very easy to do and not scary I promise!) would save you €350 at the cost of 0.2GHz and a little extra weight, plus you'd have an extra 1TB HDD.

Anything with an i7-7700HQ proceessor like this which may be a bigger 15" footprint but will be a lot more powerful for music work.

Building your own computer, which is a chore but can save a lot of money if you're alright working with a desktop.
Old 6th March 2018
  #8
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wade View Post
The clock speed of the CPU is the only real issue I see and that depends on VSTi count and latency needs when you start adding MIDI. A second drive for projects never hurts although the necessity has lessened with SSD's.

Have you checked out any of the DAW builders around here? The regulars all seem reputable and freely participate here.
Thanks, no I haven't checked them out. How's the best way to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
So your 9-year-old Asus netbook will likely be trounced by this machine, and it should handle any projects you're currently doing super well. Pretty much all modern DAWs have multithread support now so the advantage of having 4 cores is pretty huge.
My thoughts as well. I just wanted to make sure there are no absolutely non-working no-go CPUs or anything I'm not aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
The CPU speed may be a bottleneck but I don't think you'll have huge issues. 16gb of RAM should be plenty. I think for the money the i5-8250U is actually a much better value. 1.6GHz but quite a bit cheaper.
CPU Benchmark comparisons don't show a huge difference between 7700HQ and 8550U. Are benchmarks a relevant information here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
Alternatively you could get a really good performance ("gaming") laptop for around the same price but it will be much heavier and the battery will drain much quicker. The Zenbook has really good reviews about build quality, weight, design, etc. but they aren't really made for music production.
Yeah, I wanna go for a ZenBook for a long time now, those gamer things are pain in my eyes and have the disadvantages you already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
Also have you thought about a desktop? You can get a lot more performance per dollar from building a desktop, but of course laptops have their owns advantages.
As I am frequently travelling, I wanna take my work with me and use this Notebook for some basic office and other applications as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
So, I don't think your choice is a bad one at all, but I hope you check these out as well just to consider your options.

This plus upgrading to an internal SSD (very easy to do and not scary I promise!) would save you €350 at the cost of 0.2GHz and a little extra weight, plus you'd have an extra 1TB HDD.
Thanks a lot! Are you sure there is an empty slot for a SSD?
//EDIT: Think I got it. You mean swapping the HDD for an SSD and keeping the HDD as external drive!
Good alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGlyphs View Post
Anything with an i7-7700HQ proceessor like this which may be a bigger 15" footprint but will be a lot more powerful for music work.

Building your own computer, which is a chore but can save a lot of money if you're alright working with a desktop.
Do you really think that they are "a lot" more powerful? I don't want to go for a bigger than 14" screen, but if it's worth the bigger notebook and higher weight compared to more power I might consider it as well.

Thanks for your detailed and comprehensive answer!

Last edited by romanxtk; 6th March 2018 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Late understanding for SSD/HDD swap
Old 7th March 2018
  #9
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

According to benchmarks that's not a bad cpu, despite having the U tag.

PassMark - Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz - Price performance comparison

1.8 to 4ghz turbo tho? Dubious. I doubt very much you'd have issues with latency. Isn't there a 14 day legal return period of you buy online though?
Old 13th March 2018
  #10
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
According to benchmarks that's not a bad cpu, despite having the U tag.

PassMark - Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz - Price performance comparison

1.8 to 4ghz turbo tho? Dubious. I doubt very much you'd have issues with latency. Isn't there a 14 day legal return period of you buy online though?
Yeah, 1.8 to 4 Ghz surprised me as well.

Well, I bought it recently and will share any appearing problems if applicable.
The 14 day return exists, but i don't know the exact policy on that. I doubt that you can run it, install stuff on it, personalize it and then just send it back, but could be.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!
Old 3rd September 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
miqer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanxtk View Post

Well, I bought it recently and will share any appearing problems if applicable!
And?

The most important question is: when you are using some plugs etc does the fan start to be irritating?

On the 15inc i7 this is not a problem... But on the 13'' or 14" this can be??!
Old 20th November 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Recently I purchased 'ZenBook UX305'. It features an ultra-fast 256GB solid-state disk. But I there is also some issue while using asus device and it shows me an error code 0xc0000185 so I want to get information about its configuration. Can you show me anything about this issue?
Old 15th December 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
And?

The most important question is: when you are using some plugs etc does the fan start to be irritating?

On the 15inc i7 this is not a problem... But on the 13'' or 14" this can be??!
Well, there haven't been any issues yet.
Plugin usage on 30+ tracks, MIDI usage, switching between audio drivers.
Working pretty stable! The only thing it crashed on was sometimes when I used Melodyne or a certain feature in Amplitube 3.

ps. I'm using Samplitude Pro X3 if I haven't mentioned it yet.
Old 15th December 2018
  #14
I'd personally stay away from Asus for laptops (they run hot and skimp on chipsets) and can recommend firstly a lappy made by adk, scan etc found here on gs.

Or Lenovo ThinkPad T series...maybe some of their other hi end ones. But not their cheaper ones.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump