The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noisy mac pro 5.1
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Noisy mac pro 5.1

Hi,
I just bought a mac pro 5.1 but it is very noisy, impossible to record anything with it in the room! It seems the noise comes from the video card, previous owner was working for video mounting - cinema and replaced the original for a professional and noisy one!
A fanless video card would be the solution?
Which one could work?
Many thanks!
Old 8th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
A fanless video card would be the solution?
Which one could work?
Hi! There is no need to fanless card, just pick up an ATI Radeon HD 5770 - the «classic» Mac Pro's card - that's all
With 5770 your Mac will be silent enough for any recording needs.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Agreed. Use the stock 5770 and enjoy the quiet. My 5,1 with four spinning drives is not noisy at all and is fine in a studio environment.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yup--my 5,1 was very quiet. I think the compatible video card list is pretty short and I doubt a fanless option exists. Also, to get a non-mac video card to show the initial boot screen icon, there are pricey firmware patchers. macrumors.com has tons of discussion on this if you want an exhaustive range of options. I am sure the card suggested here is a great way to go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search