The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Odroid: Too Proud Not to Share...
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Odroid: Too Proud Not to Share...

I didn't want to bring my laptop to record live shows anymore, so I built this little system. It's still very much in the rough and I have figured out a couple little optimizations in the two days since posting this. My only real regret is that I didn't spend the extra $25 for a larger, high-res touchscreen. Still, it works as a proof of concept and I'd like to try a more sophisticated interface down the road.

P.S. I also have a USB-3/SSD adapter, so I might eventually try it on a digital mixer if I can get it to "play nice".
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Neat! However, just a word of caution, I've (in the company I work for) written software for the odroid to control door entry barriers - they're great little devices but they're prone to overheating and burning out (especially around the power section), so be sure to keep some airflow around it!
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Ah, thanks for the advice! I was wondering about that since the heat sink gets quite hot to the touch. So far, no issues, but I have only used it indoors and I mounted the Odroid to the top of the screen back so it sort of props up the system at an angle, so hopefully allow more convection. Would it help to turn off the screen when I'm not interacting with it?
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

I don't remember if the screen got hot or not, don't think so. But yeah, keep the Odroid cool and be careful of the connectors on it too - we had to chuck a lot away as they are quite flimsy and we broke a bunch of them! It's cheap for a reason!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search