The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High Sierra WARNING !Hard Link/Symlink not working
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Maniac

High Sierra WARNING !Hard Link/Symlink not working

After going to high sierra - I needed the latest Logic 10.4 update - all my hard links/symlinks didn´t work anymore. Even after reinstalling symlinker, it´s not working.
of course I can create symlinks but after reboot all connections are gone.

On my laptop I need to keep the LPX content on external HDs.
When I want to download the additional content I can´t because there is not enough space on my System SSD - although there´s plenty on my external HD.

So LP 10.4 does´t recognize those symlinked folders.

Is there a workaround through this ?
LP 10.4 has some really good new features but in environments with multiple HDs it is a total disaster.

I should have kept away from High Sierra.
VERY POOR, APPLE.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

APFS does not support hard links.

So on Macs running High Sierra that use hard disks, hard links still work, because the file system is not converted to APFS, on Macs running High Sierra that use SSDs, hard links won't work.

Details here.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you for this Info. So using high Sierra on a MacBook Air with smaller SSD is not possible ... Or is there a Workaround?
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Nut

Which os should I go to for logic x 10.4 then?
I’m currently on Mavericks but looking to upgrade. I too am in the position of looking to install logics files on an external ssd. Will it not work on High Sierra?
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
Which os should I go to for logic x 10.4 then?
I’m currently on Mavericks but looking to upgrade. I too am in the position of looking to install logics files on an external ssd. Will it not work on High Sierra?
Sierra 10.12 is probably your best bet. Man I'm so bummed it isn't available for El Capitan users
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moos_music View Post
Sierra 10.12 is probably your best bet. Man I'm so bummed it isn't available for El Capitan users
Unfortunately that's an "advantage" of having everything under one roof.. from OS through apps to hardware.
They would like to move forward.
Although lot of people appreciate possible better integration, I'm always worried about those forced moves of otherwise perfect setups.
So at Windows, I kinda like for example, that Steinberg ASIO and VST is independent and separate standard from Microsoft.. So there aren't any artificial reasons to upgrade system (many people still run Win 7), when for example new version of any of those standards appears.

I recently upgraded two machines and also settled at previous Sierra.

With regards to OP, according to previously linked documents, it seems symlinks works also with APFS. It would be really problematic for lot of apps and tools, if they would omit such essential UNIX feature.

Isn't symlinking enough for linking static content like libraries moved to another path in Logic X? I don't know, never tried that, just asking..

Michal
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
With regards to OP, according to previously linked documents, it seems symlinks works also with APFS.
Exactly.

I haven't tried putting Logic content on external disks, so I can't speak from first hand experience, but this article on Logic Pro Help suggests to use symlinks.

When I think about it, using hard links rather than symlinks makes very little sense - with hard links, the file system thinks the file is still there, not a link to the file, and assumes the link has the same file size as the file itself. And, according to Wikipedia, hard links only work for files on the same volume, not for linking files on an external disk.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, that's true with hardlinks, it naturally can't be at different Volumes, on the other hand its behavior is identical as real file/dir form application standpoint.

To me, it also seems, a symlink should do the job in vast majority of cases.
Only problem can appear, when there's some specific syscall used in application, which doesn't dereference it to absolute path.
There's OS X page, with those listed syscalls, where it's necessary to think about that.
symlink(7) Mac OS X Manual Page

But as symlinks are also mentioned that at linked article, Logic shouldn't have any issues with that.

Michal
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Maniac

back to sierra

My whole workflow on my 3 macs depends very much on symlinks to keep the structure of big sample libraries accessible from one place.

I developed my "system" over the years...and suddenly it doesn´t work anymore.
High sierra messed up my whole workflow. Thanks Apple.
I went back to sierra.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Isn't symlinking enough for linking static content like libraries moved to another path in Logic X? I don't know, never tried that, just asking..

Michal
I´m just downloading the new content to a machine where all the content is located on the internal ssd.
Lately - on my macbook air - when I was trying to link logic to its external HD, all the symlinks were broken.
I´ll give it a new try tomorrow...

But my macpro and my imac will stay on sierra.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

What's is not working? Plain "ln -s <source> <target>" doesn't work? Or does it complaint somehow at your setup?

As mentioned before, symlinks are fully supported at APFS.
Hardlinks are not, but almost no application use those.. Except of Time Machine, that's the reason, why you can't use APFS formatted volume as TM backup drive.

If your previous links were "aimed" to another drive, it had to be definitely symlinks.. Hardlinks can't aim outside of own filesystem.

Michal
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear