The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mysterious Clipping Troubleshooting. Audio Interfaces
Old 9th January 2018
Here for the gear

Mysterious Clipping Troubleshooting.

I'm getting clipping when recording guitar.
Here's what I'm running, what on, at what volumes, and what through.

New guitar - Epiphone Sheraton 2 straight into a:

New Fender Duluxe Reverb Amp - volume 2, treble 7, bass 5, reverb 2.8

Recorded by a Neumann TLM 103 into a:

Neve Portico 5015 - mic gain 30, -6 trim, silk button on, into the compressor on the 5015 2:1 ratio, 0 db threshold, 30ms attack, 35 ms release, and about 3 db output gain.

Then out of the xlr "comp output" on the back and into the front of a:
Presonus Firestudio Project in the *mic/line input* #3 . It's a cable that is xlr from Neve to quarter inch into the front of the Presonus (high grade low noise professional mic cable). (the 3 volume knob on the presonus is turned all the way down so as to use the Neve)...

Then through firewire cable into my 13" dual core terabyte memory Macbook Pro and into:
Latest version of Logic Pro X; with incoming volumes with the guitar coming in around -12 db....so pretty low.

Why then, am I getting some clipping when i strum a bit harder than medium, when the meters on the Neve, the Presonus, and in Logic X do not even go near redlining or clipping?

I am confused. If I'm doing something wrong than or if anyone has tips on troubleshooting this I would greatly appreciate it!
I can get around it by not strumming too hard but I want to capture what I'm recording in the most natural way that I play it.

Thanks Kindly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search