The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves - What does it take? Fix the mouse!
Old 1st January 2018
Waves - What does it take? Fix the mouse!

Are you not bothered by the lousy jumpy mouse cursor movement in your Waves plug-ins? It is really wearing me out. It is so clunky and stressful to use.

I am using Windows and Pro Tools - perhaps the issue is only with this combo?

What does it take for Waves to fix the jumpy mouse cursor in all of their plug-ins? Surely, someone must have brought it up previously?

Old 1st January 2018
Couple of questions for you. Is this only occurring with Waves plugins? If you create a song and only add this plugin, does it still happen? I doubt this is the issue, but worth a try. Check out the knob mode settings..I think it's in preferences/Plug-ins/VST see what mode it's in eg; default, circular, or linear. Make sure it's set to default.
Also, Update your graphics card driver. Also try this, Control Panel → Appearance → Display, select a zoom level of 100% or 125%. What operating system are you using? Dual or single monitor?
Old 1st January 2018
Thanks for your input, @ liv4ree . It only happens with Waves plugins out my many other manufacturer plugins. It has been like this forever for me, using 3-4 different computers, single or dual monitor, all of them Windows OS (7 thru 10), Pro Tools and several Waves versions, everything always upgraded. Only add this plugin (Waves F6) in a session = same issue. I don't have a knob mode setting, using AAX only.

The only thing I haven't tested in-depth is zoom level in Windows (custom scale factor / custom scaling level). I typically run higher than the default 100%. Good suggestion, I will check it
Old 1st January 2018
Tried the default WIndows scaling. No change. Still jumpy mouse movement. And I did reboot Windows twice. Dammit
Old 1st January 2018
wired or wireless mouse?
Old 1st January 2018
which graphics card are you using?
Old 1st January 2018
If you have a Nvidia card, Try setting "Threaded optimization" to "Off".
Old 1st January 2018
Gear Nut
Really weird I don't have this issue at all. Also on ProTools and Win10.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post
wired or wireless mouse?
Wired at the moment. Several mice. Logitech and some others. Same problem.
Old 1st January 2018
It's strange that you've had the issue on three different machines. I've never had an issue with waves plugins, and I've been using them for about 18 years, on 4 different setups. Starting with Windows 98 on a machine with 500 megs of ram.. Man how times have changed.. lol I currently run Windows 10 64 bit with Presonus Studio one 3, 16 gigs of ram
Old 1st January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Wired at the moment. Several mice. Logitech and some others. Same problem.
How is your hardware doing?
CPU and GPU temps, RAM, are your SSD's/hard drives still 100% functional? (No damages or loss of speed.?)
To me that looks like a CPU struggling.
Is something running at, or close to 100% is the task manager?
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
If you have a Nvidia card, Try setting "Threaded optimization" to "Off".
Yes, I have NVIDIA in both my current laptop and tower. I will check that. I don't remember where that setting is, but I'll look it up.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
How is your hardware doing?
CPU and GPU temps, RAM, hard drives?
To me that looks like a CPU struggling.
Is something running at, or close to 100% is the task manager?
Thanks, Robin, but no, the issue is happening on several different computers and they are all powerful, not stressed by anything but audio, and optimized for audio.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
It's strange that you've had the issue on three different machines. I've never had an issue with waves plugins, and I've been using them for about 18 years, on 4 different setups. Starting with Windows 98 on a machine with 500 megs of ram.. Man how times have changed.. lol I currently run Windows 10 64 bit with Presonus Studio one 3, 16 gigs of ram
Wow, you have me beat on Waves experience!
Old 1st January 2018
I have provided false info My laptop is not running the latest NVIDIA driver. I will check my primary audio computer tower tomorrow. It runs the latest driver.
Old 1st January 2018
Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you...
Old 1st January 2018
js1
Lives for gear

I've never had the issue you are experiencing, and I would have to believe that there would be lots of screaming if it wasn't rare. Is there some favorite utility, external device, or program that you use on all your machines that is not that common?

Also, Waves is not shy about their support costs. If one of the plugins that you're using is still in the support period (or you have WUP), open a ticket with them.
Old 1st January 2018
I was just looking at your Studio gear. We use some of the same equipment. I use the Audient id22 also. Also have the JBL 305's. I'm considering the ASP800 also.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
I was just looking at your Studio gear. We use some of the same equipment. I use the Audient id22 also. Also have the JBL 305's. I'm considering the ASP800 also.
Bro? The ASP800 is great. My new LYD 48's took over from the 305's a couple of weeks ago. But they have served me well.
Old 1st January 2018
The Lyd48's look nice. I've only had the 305's for less than a year. I personally like them. I also use the Behringer Behritone C50A for mono referencing.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
I've never had the issue you are experiencing, and I would have to believe that there would be lots of screaming if it wasn't rare. Is there some favorite utility, external device, or program that you use on all your machines that is not that common?

Also, Waves is not shy about their support costs. If one of the plugins that you're using is still in the support period (or you have WUP), open a ticket with them.
Thanks, @ js1 . Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I will continue troubleshooting tomorrow, with the pointers from all of you guys. The only common denominator is... Pro Tools and NVIDIA cards Oh and Intel CPU's.

I could use my Waves F6 for reporting, if needed. I just bought it on sale. Off topic, but it's pretty awesome for the money. Feature packed and light on resources.
Old 2nd January 2018
Any luck??
Old 15th June 2018
loo
Here for the gear

Bump.

I only just came to the realization last night that Waves plugins being visually herky-jerky is not the norm. I set "Threaded optimization" off in the nvidia control panel and it did completely solve the problem. Shut down the computer, got some sleep, came back this morning and Waves plugins are back to being herky-jerky. Threaded optimization is still set to off, so I'm at a loss for how to solve this.

Edit: After further tinkering, Vertical Sync seems to be a large factor. I'd read elsewhere that you want vsync off for Waves plugins. This does not appear to be the case for me. I tried every available vsync setting in combination with every available refresh rate (50/59/60hz) and vsync on at 50hz is by far the least herky-jerky. It's about 98% smooth with only the occasional visual hiccup now.

I'm using an Evga GTX 750 TI, Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, Windows 8.1 x64 - if anyone wants to take a stab at what exactly is the cause of this.

Last edited by loo; 15th June 2018 at 08:07 PM..
Old 11th May 2019
Here for the gear

Although this is an old thread, I just wanted to add my 2 cents here, since I had this issue too for a long time. You can get it kind of fixed, but the way the mouse behavior in Waves plugins is coded is just unsatisfactory in my opinion. They seem to apply some kind of additional mouse acceleration curve. So even when you don't get the buggy behavior where it's jerky and uncontrollable, you still get some weird behavior like e.g. high horizontal sensitivity and low vertical sensitivity when dragging around EQ nodes and such… I have worked on macOS and Windows and in different DAWs over the years and it's always been like this. I find using Waves plugins with the mouse arduous to this day and I wonder if I'm the only one. Other plugins don't do any of this sensitivity/acceleration weirdness.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by incredigital View Post
Although this is an old thread, I just wanted to add my 2 cents here, since I had this issue too for a long time. You can get it kind of fixed, but the way the mouse behavior in Waves plugins is coded is just unsatisfactory in my opinion. They seem to apply some kind of additional mouse acceleration curve. So even when you don't get the buggy behavior where it's jerky and uncontrollable, you still get some weird behavior like e.g. high horizontal sensitivity and low vertical sensitivity when dragging around EQ nodes and such… I have worked on macOS and Windows and in different DAWs over the years and it's always been like this. I find using Waves plugins with the mouse arduous to this day and I wonder if I'm the only one. Other plugins don't do any of this sensitivity/acceleration weirdness.
I have found this kind of non-linear mouse behaviour also in some Softube coded plugins (and Ableton Live ), but mostly with Waves. For example H-EQ, unusable...

I have always wondered why isn't there more rant about this subject and why would any sane software developer choose implement it like that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search