The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WAVES Abbey Road Reverb Plates Crawls. Are All Abbey Road Plugins CPU Intensive?
Old 26th December 2017
WAVES Abbey Road Reverb Plates Crawls. Are All Abbey Road Plugins CPU Intensive?

Hello my fellow slutz!
I have an I7 QUAD CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU, SSD (Samsung EVO Pro) and 64GB RAM.

I am running Sonar Platnum on Windows Server 2012R2 64.

When I add the Abbey Road plates to a single track, it is unusable even at the highest latency. On the RME UFX Plus (ASIO).

The Abbey Road Plates are the best plates I have every had dinner on, opps, I mean listen to.

Are all of Waves Abbey Road plugins like this? Heavy CPU use?

Or is this an isolated issue to my setup?

Thanks my friends.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just loaded it up here on a track using a 10 year old hackintosh running PT 12.5 on Yosemite and hit play with no problems. I think its either your system or your session if you are starting with a blank song.
Old 26th December 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
Just loaded it up here on a track using a 10 year old hackintosh running PT 12.5 on Yosemite and hit play with no problems. I think its either your system or your session if you are starting with a blank song.
Thanks, what is your Sample Rate?
I am running 64bit Windows Project set at 24/96.

I also plan to try this in Cubase and Studio One and see what happens.

I really love the sound.
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
have the same problem with 11HD native on yosemite could be the only plugin on the track cpu peaks out 8 core mac this is the only waves plugin that does this could be bad coding not sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
have the same problem with 11HD native on yosemite could be the only plugin on the track cpu peaks out 8 core mac this is the only waves plugin that does this could be bad coding not sure!

I don't get it, how are people supposed to use this thing and are there no updates fixes for Plugins? I have seen a few reviews about this plugin being a CPU hog but nothing else.
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've found a lot of Waves plugs, especially this one, are unusable on my system. I stopped buying. Great prices, but what does it matter if you can't use 'em?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post
I've found a lot of Waves plugs, especially this one, are unusable on my system. I stopped buying. Great prices, but what does it matter if you can't use 'em?
Same issue here, The only thing I can do is to Bounce the Track (Mix Down) after I get the settings right. This is a PITA just to use the plugin.

I am just curious as to how others are able to use this without experiencing the same issue.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've attached a screenshot of a session at 24/44.1 @ 102 4, with a bunch of plug ins inserted and the system resources view opened while I'm running Abbey Road Plate no problem in a mix situation with plenty of headroom on a system that is 10 years old (see about this Mac in screenshot).

If you are needing to track without latency, Abbey Road is not what you want to put on your inserts!

However, the OP sounded like they couldn't play one track - that is different than being "resource intensive".

I'd say it has to be something specific to your setup - tell us what is your buffer in PT would be the most important.

Actually, the second is Windows "server"? Hey, I dig servers, but not unless they are serving - what are you getting out of the server OS build???
Attached Thumbnails
WAVES Abbey Road Reverb Plates Crawls. Are All Abbey Road Plugins CPU Intensive?-abbeyrdplate.jpg  
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
tell us what is your buffer in PT would be the most important.
PT?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post
PT?
Yep, you are right - Sonar - sorry
Quote:
I've attached a screenshot of a session at 24/44.1 @ 102 4, with a bunch of plug ins inserted and the system resources view opened while I'm running Abbey Road Plate no problem in a mix situation with plenty of headroom on a system that is 10 years old (see about this Mac in screenshot).

If you are needing to track without latency, Abbey Road is not what you want to put on your inserts!

However, the OP sounded like they couldn't play one track - that is different than being "resource intensive".

I'd say it has to be something specific to your setup - tell us what is your buffer in PT would be the most important.

Actually, the second is Windows "server"? Hey, I dig servers, but not unless they are serving - what are you getting out of the server OS build???

I am not using PT (Pro-tools), I am using Sonar Platinum.
My Buffer is set at 4096 Samples (RME UFX Plus).
Sample Rate 96K 24BIT.

I do not have issues with other Plugs from Eventide, Lexicon Native PCM, TC Electronic and so on. Even other Waves Plugs works perfectly without issues, only the Abbey Road has this issue, which is why I asked.

I use Windows Server because unlike consumer Windows OS. I have complete control over what is run and what Services are Enabled. It's a Server and I do not get the issues with "Windows Needs to Restart or other headaches."

I understand I can configured Windows 7 but a Server just comes ready to perform without all the mess.

Latency MON tells me all is well, others using Windows 7/8 have to mess with BIOS and other areas.

My system is really bare everything is disabled except critical services.

Thanks again.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreq View Post

Thanks again.
Sure - just wanted to show its possible.

For music, to me the current flows towards MacOS, so one could correlate my better results with a high degree of code optimization for AAX and MacOS, that allow me to get excellent results out of older, cheaper hardware, and I'm grateful.

Its up to anyone else whether they use these approaches, not to argue with anybody else's experiences - what I'm doing is showing you (and others) what is working over here.
Old 27th December 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Sure - just wanted to show its possible.

For music, to me the current flows towards MacOS, so one could correlate my better results with a high degree of code optimization for AAX and MacOS, that allow me to get excellent results out of older, cheaper hardware, and I'm grateful.

Its up to anyone else whether they use these approaches, not to argue with anybody else's experiences - what I'm doing is showing you (and others) what is working over here.
Thank you!

I get it, I still intend to use the plugin because I cannot find anything close to it.
IMHO, it is one of the best Plate reverb out there.
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict

I have no problems either with ARP or the other AR plugins I have. I run my projects at 24/44.1 in Cubase 9.510.

/Magnus
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello my fellow slutz!
I have an I7 QUAD CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU, SSD (Samsung EVO Pro) and 64GB RAM.

I am running Sonar Platnum on Windows Server 2012R2 64.

When I add the Abbey Road plates to a single track, it is unusable even at the highest latency. On the RME UFX Plus (ASIO).

The Abbey Road Plates are the best plates I have every had dinner on, opps, I mean listen to.

Are all of Waves Abbey Road plugins like this? Heavy CPU use?

Or is this an isolated issue to my setup?

Thanks my friends.
No problem with Sonar and an old i7 870 8gb ram and a Focusrite Saffire.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not all of the Abbey Road plugins are cpu time intensive. My system is an i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, RME Fireface UFX and I'm running FL Studio.

J37 (stereo) = 1-2% cpu process time
TG12345 (stereo) = 10% cpu process time
TG12345 (mono) = 5-7% cpu process time
Reverb Plates = 4-5% cpu process time

I haven't got REDD but I've heard its a cpu time killer like TG12345. I don't use J37 often since I much prefer Slate VTM. VTM has latency though and it takes more cpu process time. I sometimes use J37 as a placeholder but I'm not a big tape guy and I don't use tape sims often.

Reverb Plates is a physical plate sim and is very good but you have to want that physical plate sound. If you are after digital plates (ala Lexicon) it might shock you how different physical plates are. They are much noisier and more clangorous. I consider 4-5% process time to pretty high but its really no worse when compared to other convolution type reverbs. In general, I tend to allocate a big share of cpu time to reverb anyway and that probably goes back to the days of single core P4s where a single instance of SIR and a Lexi PCM91 hall IR would take 40-50% process time by itself. I have always mixed on the assumption that reverb would use a lot of cpu time.

TG12345 is tricky because the cpu process time is so high. It is probably the single most process time demanding plugin I use. I cannot use it as a utility channel strip. I can't really use it on any channel because its a big sequential bottleneck. When I'm doing transient shaping on drum machine type sounds such as claps, TG12345 does things I can't reproduce in any other plugin and its infuriating because I'm always trying to get rid of it where possible to claw back cpu time. I think its really good but its costly and must be used sparingly.

My favourite of the ones I have is TG12345. It really drives me mad though and it doesn't always work well. Its arsey with input levels, the distortion onset is very sudden and very harsh. I find it very useful for drum machine one shots, in situations where I want to mix many wet/dry parallels and use TG12345 to make big contrast with my layers and make my one shot composite really stand out.

In the mix I'm working on now I got rid of all TG12345 instances except one on a clap. Its just impossible to get rid of that one. I don't have any other plugin or combination of plugins that can reproduce what its doing to that clap. Utterly maddening.
Old 29th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post

I haven't got REDD but I've heard its a cpu time killer like TG12345. ...
I use REDD on all tracks in my (mostly 8 tracks of recorded audio) mixes, it doesn't make more than a dent on my cpu. I also have the 12345, but haven't used it that much since I really like the REDD 51, but I haven't noticed that the 12345 would be more demanding than REDD.

i7 6700 @ 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Windows10 64 bit, Cubase 9.5.10

/Magnus
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just ran a quick test if the Abbey Road Plate by replacing the UAD EMT140 on a stereo bus in Sonar Platinum. There was no visible change in the overall project behavior. I didn't make any effort to match the EMT sound because my only interest was the plugin's citizenship.

The environment is Win7 Pro64 Boot Camp in a 12-core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro,
Old 31st December 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I just ran a quick test if the Abbey Road Plate by replacing the UAD EMT140 on a stereo bus in Sonar Platinum. There was no visible change in the overall project behavior. I didn't make any effort to match the EMT sound because my only interest was the plugin's citizenship.

The environment is Win7 Pro64 Boot Camp in a 12-core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro,
Well, your environment is very different, 12 CORE? Are you running a Space Program? That's a lot of power my friend.
Quote:
Not all of the Abbey Road plugins are cpu time intensive. My system is an i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, RME Fireface UFX and I'm running FL Studio.

I haven't got REDD but I've heard its a cpu time killer.
See, this is strange because I am using Multiple Instances of RED with other plugins on a 50 track project set at 64mb buffer, with no clicks or pops, I just love it.

With the Reverb, I have a single Audio Track and just a single instance at 128MB Buffer, the system crawls.

Not sure why this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki23 View Post
No problem with Sonar and an old i7 870 8gb ram and a Focusrite Saffire.
I am wondering if this is happening because I am using a demo?
I have not purchased the plugin yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

TG12345 on my mediocre w10 i5 system, is around 3%, so that's much lower than what you get (allthough I'm not happy with that cpu usage).

AR Plates gives me the same CPU that you have.

But I'm running Reaper x64.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I haven't got REDD but I've heard its a cpu time killer like TG12345.
Redd stereo uses about 1% on my i5 system.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am wondering if this is happening because I am using a demo?
I have not purchased the plugin yet.
I don't think so. It's a very heavy CPU plugin and some problem with the drivers of your card is more possible.
Gear Addict

Quote:

I haven't got REDD but I've heard its a cpu time killer like TG12345. I don't use J37 often since I much prefer Slate VTM. VTM has latency though and it takes more cpu process time. I sometimes use J37 as a placeholder but I'm not a big tape guy and I don't use tape sims often.

Reverb Plates is a physical plate sim and is very good but you have to want that physical plate sound. If you are after digital plates (ala Lexicon) it might shock you how different physical plates are. They are much noisier and more clangorous. I consider 4-5% process time to pretty high but its really no worse when compared to other convolution type reverbs. In general, I tend to allocate a big share of cpu time to reverb anyway and that probably goes back to the days of single core P4s where a single instance of SIR and a Lexi PCM91 hall IR would take 40-50% process time by itself. I have always mixed on the assumption that reverb would use a lot of cpu time.

TG12345 is tricky because the cpu process time is so high. It is probably the single most process time demanding plugin I use. I cannot use it as a utility channel strip. I can't really use it on any channel because its a big sequential bottleneck. When I'm doing transient shaping on drum machine type sounds such as claps, TG12345 does things I can't reproduce in any other plugin and its infuriating because I'm always trying to get rid of it where possible to claw back cpu time. I think its really good but its costly and must be used sparingly.

My favourite of the ones I have is TG12345. It really drives me mad though and it doesn't always work well. Its arsey with input levels, the distortion onset is very sudden and very harsh. I find it very useful for drum machine one shots, in situations where I want to mix many wet/dry parallels and use TG12345 to make big contrast with my layers and make my one shot composite really stand out.

In the mix I'm working on now I got rid of all TG12345 instances except one on a clap. Its just impossible to get rid of that one. I don't have any other plugin or combination of plugins that can reproduce what its doing to that clap. Utterly maddening.
I don't have a problem at all using the TG12345 on multiple tracks at 96k. So if that runs smoothly I should be good with the plate, but i'm going to demo it and hopefully not encounter the same problem as OP. I'm on a lil 8GB MacBook. I don't store anything except for a couple DAW's and some plugins, everything else on an External HD.
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe FL Studio isn't that hot with plugin handling.

10x TG12345 in series has become my sequential bottleneck test because in FL Studio it instantly takes 95-100% process time to fill buffer. I have a mixer template for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki23 View Post
I don't think so. It's a very heavy CPU plugin and some problem with the drivers of your card is more possible.
I am using RME Fireface UFX plus. These are supposed to be the best in terms of drivers.
Old 31st December 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There’s a table at Waves website showing the number of plugins that can be run using Waves DSP Impact server.

SoundGrid Impact Server | Hardware | Waves

Open Multirack and Studiorack benchmarks.

It looks like TG channel strip and DBX 160 emulation are the most hungry!

And the API 560 uses lots of DSP too!!

Unfortunately there’s no Abbey Road Plate information.

The reverbs are all hungry as well, including old IR convo. HReverb is the most CPU demanding of all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I am not using PT (Pro-tools), I am using Sonar Platinum.
My Buffer is set at 4096 Samples (RME UFX Plus).
Sample Rate 96K 24BIT.

Thanks again.
Try your buffer at 1024. Its a long shot but might work.

I'm using RME drivers too and i find the higher latency makes some plugins act strange, AR plates being one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
Try your buffer at 1024. Its a long shot but might work.

I'm using RME drivers too and i find the higher latency makes some plugins act strange, AR plates being one of them.
Thanks my friend, I'll give this a shot.
πŸ“ Reply