The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac Pro - Fan noise? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Addict

iMac Pro - Fan noise?

I have heard the fans can be quite noisy under cpu heavy tasks on the regular iMac, do you think this is going to be a problem on the iMac Pro as well?
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Addict

Bump
Old 19th December 2017
i had imac for couple years before 2010 model and it was ok to be honest even under heavy load. i guess with the new ones this should work even better.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

I have a 2013 i7 iMac w/SSD that is completely silent 99% of the time. Now and then a fan kicks on while doing a big render or process but never while working on audio in a DAW session, even big ones.

It's completely acceptable my mastering room.

I tried a 2015 iMac 5k and the fan noise was too much even with minor audio sessions so I returned it and still have the 2013.

I have a 10-core iMac Pro on order and I hope that the fan noise is like my 2013. If it's not, I may end up trying a 2017 iMac 27".
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Justin P. , please keep us updated!
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My 2013 iMac is silent 99% of the time as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"[t]he new iMac Pro is powerful but offers near silent operation, with a gorgeous display and enclosure. The new iMac Pro is significantly faster than the 2013 Mac Pro and the existing iMac lineup."

First review I came across.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quieter than iMac?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Near silent" is a very relative term. Silent for a graphic designer in an office with some background noise from other things/people etc would be different than silent for an audio engineer.

A friend of mine did a new studio build out and the contractor insured that the A/C unit was quiet. It might be considered quiet by say an auto mechanic shop, but it wasn't nearly silent enough for a recording studio.

Hopefully next week some units start arriving and we get some real world reports.

Mine is due to deliver Jan 4th-9th at this point.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yeah, I was at a german public broadcaster studio with a workstation. Everyone was happy, until the department manager came. He complained about the computer noise when he had his ear over the system. Everybody was a bit baffled because we all thought it was dead silent. Until we found out he actually was complaining about the noise from the Lexicon 480 mainframe in the machine room, somebody left the door slightly leaning open.
I also know people who think a 480 mainframe is silent...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I guess the first shipments are starting to take place. Any first hand experience with the noise level working with audio on the iMac Pro yet?

Last edited by erike123; 3 weeks ago at 03:31 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

bump
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've since done some lighter duty mastering sessions with the 10-core iMac Pro and still haven't heard the fan run. It's a bit warm if I put my hand back there but it seems to stay cool enough to not need the fan, or at least at any audible level in my quiet room.

I don't do any large mixing sessions or virtual instruments work so I can't speak to that.

I have done some long/heavy renders with WaveLab, Saracon, and RX6 and it hasn't triggered the fan to kick on loud.

So far still good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I've since done some lighter duty mastering sessions with the 10-core iMac Pro and still haven't heard the fan run. It's a bit warm if I put my hand back there but it seems to stay cool enough to not need the fan, or at least at any audible level in my quiet room.

I don't do any large mixing sessions or virtual instruments work so I can't speak to that.

I have done some long/heavy renders with WaveLab, Saracon, and RX6 and it hasn't triggered the fan to kick on loud.

So far still good.
Nice. I'm also considering the 10-core version, so this is very helpful. Is rendering in Wavelab, Saracon, RX6 considered stressing to the machine like a medium to big DAW project is? If not, do you have any way you can stress the CPUs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
Nice. I'm also considering the 10-core version, so this is very helpful. Is rendering in Wavelab, Saracon, RX6 considered stressing to the machine like a medium to big DAW project is? If not, do you have any way you can stress the CPUs?
I'm starting to do more normal work with WaveLab, Saracon, and RX, rendering larger files and more quantities of files and still no fan noise.

If I have time this weekend I can try to do some stress testing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Anyone else having experience?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
This video goes into detail about iMac Pro under full load, the short answer appears to be the iMac Pros stay quiet under load.

Video: Putting the iMac Pro thermals to the test
Because it throttles every 10 seconds, according to that article. It also mentioned fan speed isn't user definable even with the normal 3rd party apps.

So, the cooling causes the lowly 8 core to throttle in every one of their subsequent tests, I can only imagine what larger chips would do. I wonder what other power schemes contribute to keeping heat down and if they're user adjustable.

Speaking of fans, I saw the design of the fans in the iMP, like turbo fins. Problem with those is that they catch dust in the tiny nooks and clog easily. Also, the slightest bit of dust on the leading edges changes the aerodynamics and makes them howl. That opening it up to clean out once in a while is so involved is beyond logic.

First reports are junk, everything's clean and new. I'll wait to see what 6 months of use brings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
This video goes into detail about iMac Pro under full load, the short answer appears to be the iMac Pros stay quiet under load.

Video: Putting the iMac Pro thermals to the test
Short answer: it is throttling even before reaching 94° both CPU and GPU.
While it doesn't seem to throttle below base clock while doing 4K video editing, it does not use its all core turbo either, which shows that the design is cutting performance, as expected. Not bad for a thin box, but anyone interested needs to consider paying a lot of money for a design with built in performance cuts.
When doing a lot of heavy work, the tendency to continually reach temps above 80° in such a thin case may have a negative trend on component life cycle.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

So what I'm reading of this is I should stay away from the iMac Pro if fan noise is a critical point? Any other experiences so far?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what I'm reading of this is I should stay away from the iMac Pro if fan noise is a critical point? Any other experiences so far?
You might want to stay away until Meltdown is fully mitigated, and it sounds Spectre will require new chips in addition to mitigation. Perhaps by then fan noise too will be fully ameliorated -- who knows?

I'd wait for more news, if not new chips depending on how it pans out, before buying any new machine. Unfortunately, I just purchased a new iPhone, and Spectre appears to be a potential issue here. I'm not so much worried, but rather I'd like up-to-date chips if A11s (ARM,) etc will be reissued. Time will tell, but I already have the new phone. I wouldn't want to be in the same position regarding a $5000+ computer. I was eyeing Kaby Lake i7 iMacs, but even that purchase is on hold.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Anyone have experience with the 10-core version as far as fan noise?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Would love to know as well.
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Addict

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search