The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8 Channel Converter Digital Converters
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
8 Channel Converter

I've been looking to upgrade my conversion for a while and I can't help feeling like I'm missing something.

Is there a converter geared towards contemporary producer's rooms? Using a small to medium sized collection of mics, a couple of external pres, some limited outboard if any, and overdubbing to build tracks. It feels to me like this is a growing segment of the market that is being ignored right now. The converters I've found either include pre's which I wouldn't use (Apollo), or seem like they are geared towards tracking bands (more channels than I'd use) rather than making tracks.

Maybe the Symphony fits this, but I had a Duet years ago with constant driver issues and I swore not to give Apogee my money again. Perhaps Lynx, but for some reason it feels like they aren't updating as frequently as other companies and it makes me nervous I'm buying older technology, although I might be uninformed.

Do you all have recommendations of other products that offer just 8 channels of conversion for a reasonable price? Or is it between the Apollo and Symphony?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Seems like you want an interface, not just a converter. There’s buckets of 2 channel converters.

Lynx Hilo springs to mind; the Apollo Twin is by far the most popular interface I’ve seen producers travelling with (and it has true bypass for the preamps too of course).

I got an ensemble for our writing room though, since I didn’t want people to have to install the UAD plugins when they came in to use it. It’s been flawless - can drive 2 sets of headphones, built in pres but bypassable and extra line ins - expandable, guitar DI with an output so you can use it like a “regular” DI in conjunction with an amp...good cue mixing software, great inbuilt monitor section (can drive 3 sets of speakers, or 5.1 I think).

I’ve had zero issues with drivers, and known no issues with Duets either.

And of course you’ve got a similar concept in the Apollo 8 if you want UAD.

The other option is to get a digital interface, and add high end conversion of your choice.

The thing is - most people benefit from features before absolute high end sound quality. The market for super pristine amazing conversion for small studios is (rightly in my opinion) not that large. Most people don’t want a separate monitor controller, no onboard preamps, and want things like low latency monitoring on board.

Oh - HD Native with an Omni is also an option, but maybe a bit more expensive (and really only useful if you’re using HD software!
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Seems like you want an interface, not just a converter.
@ psycho_monkey.

I have more some kind of a language question.

What's the technical different between a interface and a converter ?
Some GS members write interface, some write converter.....

Thanks in advance !

R.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
@ psycho_monkey.

I have more some kind of a language question.

What's the technical different between a interface and a converter ?
Some GS members write interface, some write converter.....

Thanks in advance !

R.
A converter just changes analog signal to digital and/or digital to analog.
An audio interface may do this but also provides input/output into a computer.

If you take an Apogee Rosetta 800.
By default it is a converter- it converts from analog to digital and digital to analog.
With an expansion card (XFirewire, X Symphony) it becomes an audio interface because that card allows you to take the digital signal into the computer and out of it again.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
@ psycho_monkey.

I have more some kind of a language question.

What's the technical different between a interface and a converter ?
Some GS members write interface, some write converter.....

Thanks in advance !

R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
A converter just changes analog signal to digital and/or digital to analog.
An audio interface may do this but also provides input/output into a computer.

If you take an Apogee Rosetta 800.
By default it is a converter- it converts from analog to digital and digital to analog.
With an expansion card (XFirewire, X Symphony) it becomes an audio interface because that card allows you to take the digital signal into the computer and out of it again.
This.

You have interfaces (eg by lynx or RME) that have no conversion - they talk to the computer but only provide digital io.

There is no “software driver” for the conversion part - the interface above has no idea what’s connected to it, it only “sees” digital audio io.

Many boxes of course combine the two.

There’s an absolute distinction of course - many are just using the wrong term!
Old 1 week ago
  #6
If I were in a similar situation, I would go with Lynx. No hesitation whatsoever.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb011 View Post
I've been looking to upgrade my conversion for a while and I can't help feeling like I'm missing something.

Is there a converter geared towards contemporary producer's rooms? Using a small to medium sized collection of mics, a couple of external pres, some limited outboard if any, and overdubbing to build tracks. It feels to me like this is a growing segment of the market that is being ignored right now. The converters I've found either include pre's which I wouldn't use (Apollo), or seem like they are geared towards tracking bands (more channels than I'd use) rather than making tracks.

Maybe the Symphony fits this, but I had a Duet years ago with constant driver issues and I swore not to give Apogee my money again. Perhaps Lynx, but for some reason it feels like they aren't updating as frequently as other companies and it makes me nervous I'm buying older technology, although I might be uninformed.

Do you all have recommendations of other products that offer just 8 channels of conversion for a reasonable price? Or is it between the Apollo and Symphony?
i do not see any system info ... what type computer are you using ??? are you looking for USB, Thunderbolt, PCIe, etc ???
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb011 View Post

Do you all have recommendations of other products that offer just 8 channels of conversion for a reasonable price? Or is it between the Apollo and Symphony?
There's the MOTU 16a. Excellent conversion, no mic pre's and plenty of i/o.

MOTU.com - Overview
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
There's the MOTU 16a. Excellent conversion, no mic pre's and plenty of i/o.

MOTU.com - Overview
I love my 16A, it perfectly fit my quest for a high-quality converter with no extra frills I didn't want to be forced to pay for. MOTU also makes an 8A if you don't need as many channels as the 16A has to offer.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
MOTU also makes an 8A if you don't need as many channels as the 16A has to offer.
I didn't realize that. The 8a would be perfect for the OP's needs. Thanks for the info.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I didn't realize that. The 8a would be perfect for the OP's needs. Thanks for the info.
Double thanks for this. It's exactly what I was looking for as well!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump