The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative Tape and Console emulation to Slate Digital Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Alternative Tape and Console emulation to Slate Digital

Hey guys,

I just cancelled my Everything Bundle subscription plan and feel kinda free now .

I´m mostly interested in alternatives to the VCC and VTM. Are there any new (there´s a thread, but from 2015) alternatives for an affordable price right now?

I was thinking about plugins from HoRNet (Tape and Analogstage), Sonimus Satson, Softube Tape or The Magnetite (Black Rooster Audio). And how do these compare to Waves (big sale right now on NLS and Kramer Tape)?

I don´t actually want to start a big discussion about which company is the best but to be sure I don´t loose any quality in comparison to the Slate digital Plugins.

Also, what can you say about the companys of klanghelm, sknote and Toneboosters? (Looking also for some new eq and compressor emulations now, but thats not an urgent thing)

Thank you,

Ricardo

(sorry for any errors - english is not my strongest language )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What did you dislike about the Everything Bundle? What are you looking for that Slate didn’t give you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You should check out Airwindows plugins. And if you like them and decide to use them (they are free to download), join his patreon. Although they're gui-less plugins, they're among the best out there.

Try these:

Iron Oxide
FromTape
ToTape

Console4
Desk4
Busscolors4
PurestWarm
Powersag
Loud

CStrip
Air
Toneslant
Capacitor

Logical
NC-17
Old 1 week ago
eor
Gear Addict

welcome to me, last week. bought some new plugs and spent a whole 10 mins with them. still a little nervous, but here's what I did:

tape: waves abbey road tape (j37?). it was cheap and I like the plate reverb so I gave it a shot. seems to do a little more than the slate; you can have delays and wow / flutter and such, so it can be an effect, not just a tone thing. it was easy to dial up a little crunch, too.

bus comp- waves ssl g master buss comp. it was cheap, not previously available, and I already have console one, so it kinda matches the rest of my chain. comes with some handy presets from the pros. my very initial impression is that it doesnt have the same amount of volume as the slate. which made it difficult to match levels. so it seems a little less exciting than the slate but doesnt sound bad.

I obviously need a lot more time with both but I'm sure they're fine. if I had a bit more money, I may have picked up the softube tape also. that one seems to be really, really good.
Old 1 week ago
Also add u-He Satin to your list.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Overloud Tapedesk. You'll get both in one plugin. And you can switch on/off the tape or console independently.
The CPU usage is also very low. You can put it literally on all tracks.
Not to mention that it sounds beautiful.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
What did you dislike about the Everything Bundle? What are you looking for that Slate didn’t give you.
I´m not the biggest fan of the Rack and the fact I have to pay every month (forever) doesn´t appeal to me!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
You should check out Airwindows plugins. And if you like them and decide to use them (they are free to download), join his patreon. Although they're gui-less plugins, they're among the best out there.

Try these:

Iron Oxide
FromTape
ToTape

Console4
Desk4
Busscolors4
PurestWarm
Powersag
Loud

CStrip
Air
Toneslant
Capacitor

Logical
NC-17
Wow, that´s a lot! :D How do these compare to brands like Waves, UAD,...? (relating to quality). I don´t care about the gui at all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For tape check u-he satin, for console strip emulation check Plugin alliance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like softube tape quite a bit, *but also* Cobalt Saphira, J37, Kramer Tape for various things. Each brings different tone, methods of interaction, and bells and whistles to the table.

I dig the Waves NLS console emulation. Softube's thing is also very nice, and integrates in an interesting way with UAD, and how it has the hardware controller...so worth looking at if you are thinking of a bigger investment.

I hear very good things about the Overloud, and have been generally impressed with their products... probably worth investigating. That said, I'm really satisfied with what I already have in this dept., so haven't felt the need to go further.
Old 1 week ago
filterrilter,
Like many things in the audio world, it's about preference. I can tell you my preferences. I do mostly acoustic folk rock/singer-songwriter stuff.

After much review of available options, I mostly use:

Britson - Neve console emu. Nice and smooth with great filters. Easy to use.

ReelBus - Tape emu - lots of good options with styles and sounds. I find it easy to use to quickly get what I want.

I would NOT have a problem with Waves Kramer Tape. I find it very nice. Like many of the saturation plugins, gain staging is important.

I'm a big fan of fast and intuitive workflow. These tools are good for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
If you have Pro Tools, I'd head over to Sweetwater and get Phoenix tape and Peacock from Cranesong and RA from Dave Hill designs. Before the prices go back up to $450 a piece. Other good tape are Softube, Magnetite, Overload Tape Desk, and Hornet Tape. I would also get Overloud Dopamine for the Dolby A tape trick, or at least Dola from Sknote. Dopamine is pretty essential to me now. If you're looking for more of that smooth analog feel, get SDC and CH5 from Sknote. Both are among the best at smooth analog I've heard. Bx_console N is what I use for a console. Maybe could get by without it, but I like the THD and noise effect. Waves NLS is probably the most similar thing to VCC but also sounds way bigger when you crank the drive. Oh, and Lindell 354 is about the greatest thing I've ever put at the end of my master. Lindell/LSR make great stuff. Try the VLB902 De-esser. I use it before fx only as Phoenix helped get rid of all that hissy stuff on the tracks. Peak Rider 2 from Impact Soundworks and Sound Brigade by Sknote also help with smoothing nasty stuff. Sknote Strip is not a bad plug either, I think Quinto is still updating it for AAX though. Novatron by Kush is also another smooth, huge-sounding analog plugin. Kinda like SDC but lacking the things that make SDC great for the master.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterrilter View Post
Wow, that´s a lot! :D How do these compare to brands like Waves, UAD,...? (relating to quality). I don´t care about the gui at all.
Cleaner more natural sounding....with a respect for the integrity of the signal. There's less of that fake-ish wannabe-mojo...Airwindows is like water, the others are Coke.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If your computer can handle it, nothing comes close to Nebula. Yes, I'm that guy. AlexB's MFC console makes everything better in a way that I've yet to hear algo plugins do.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

thank you reallly much guys! I think I have now a lot of options! Can´t wait to try some of these out! :D
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
If your computer can handle it, nothing comes close to Nebula. Yes, I'm that guy. AlexB's MFC console makes everything better in a way that I've yet to hear algo plugins do.
I got an I7 4x 2.6, 16 GB Ram and 500 GB SSD. Do you think it could somehow handle this or do I need some of these giant workstations? :D
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I got an I7 4x 2.6, 16 GB Ram and 500 GB SSD. Do you think it could somehow handle this or do I need some of these giant workstations? :D
Is that a Windows or Mac computer? Also, what DAW are you using?

I have an i7-7700 and 16GB of RAM and I can run quite a few instances of Nebula. I would recommending checking out the Acustica plugins first. Sand is an SSL channel (Preamps, eq and bus compressor) and I can run tons of those channels strips.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Softube is a very competitive alternative.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Is that a Windows or Mac computer? Also, what DAW are you using?

I have an i7-7700 and 16GB of RAM and I can run quite a few instances of Nebula. I would recommending checking out the Acustica plugins first. Sand is an SSL channel (Preamps, eq and bus compressor) and I can run tons of those channels strips.
I have a Windows and use Studio One. Well, I think I have to try it out!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Cleaner more natural sounding....with a respect for the integrity of the signal. There's less of that fake-ish wannabe-mojo...Airwindows is like water, the others are Coke.
Wow, I think I really need to check airwindows out. But, there are so many plugins available. Which one to choose? As I dropped the everything bundle, I´m also searching for EQ´s and Compressors. Can airwindows plugins help me out there? Already got the SSL E Strip from Waves but the Waves API550 is on sale right now (29$) and maybe I´ll give it a try. Unless there is a better Airwindows EQ. But as I said, there are so many and I don´t now which one to try out. Music is not my profession and I don´t want to invest my whole free time in the search of new plugins :D.

You posted a list before. Are these the best Airwindows plugins and the other ones not that interesting?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You posted a list before. Are these the best Airwindows plugins and the other ones not that interesting?
Those are my favourites, yes. But there a lot of other good airwindows-plugs among those released on the patreon.

CStrip has a (good) 3-band eq, which might not be enough for all eq-tasks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hornet Tape is one of my current favs, it seems to work on everything, but it sounds more like a saturator.... which I like. I like the more idealized "tape" sound.

I use Satin at the default usually and tweak the i/o and sometimes turn on vintage mode. Occasionally I mess with speed, but the more I fiddle with the controls on the bottom, it starts to go downhill. I like the formula presets too.

Often I think Kramer Tape gets a sound thats kinda hard to describe. To me it actually sounds like something is running thru circuits, whether that is good or bad depends. It's like transparent and it's not at the same time. I know that probably does not make any sense.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search