The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing an SSD
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Choosing an SSD

Hi all,

I'm needing a new external drive for recording as my old one died. I am to believe an SSD is much faster than a 7200rpm but I don't know if there are specific specs or really what I need to look out for to get something adequate. I am pretty budget conscious so nothing high end or prosumer level unless its affordable. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon View Post
Hi all,

I'm needing a new external drive for recording as my old one died. I am to believe an SSD is much faster than a 7200rpm but I don't know if there are specific specs or really what I need to look out for to get something adequate. I am pretty budget conscious so nothing high end or prosumer level unless its affordable. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Samsung 850 PRO.
The best SSD on the planet: 10 year warranty.

850 PRO | Consumer SSD | Samsung V-NAND SSD

This thing is a beast.
Old 5 days ago
RiF
Lives for gear

I‘d go for the cheapest. They are all plenty fast.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Samsung 850 EVO. Fast, reliable, decent prices. I wouldn't trust a cheap SSD with my data personally (but you should always have a backup in any case!).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I use Samsung SSD's. But for an external drive, and I assume USB connected, a less expensive hard drive will do the job. The SSD is faster but you will be limited by the speed of the port. SSD's, I would think, are more suited to the OS/DAW drive than an external drive.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
SSD devices have strong benefits for the operating system and the sample library. For audio-only duties, the SSD benefits begin to accrue at higher track counts (think 100 tracks and more) within a project. Other than that, for project loading and mixing work an SSD won't be much/any different from a common 7200 RPM spinning drive.
Old 4 days ago
RiF
Lives for gear

And make sure your external case AND your computer fully support USB 3.0! With USB 2.0 even a fast spinning drive is faster than the maximum bandwidth of the bus (ca. 40 MB/sec).
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies! I am on a 2010 MBP so I’m thinking an upgrade is in order, It’ll be used either way but im contemplating a newer MBP or getting an older Mac Pro on the cheap with a ton of ram, though the ports would be 2.0 also..

I’m fairly set on SSD if for nothing more than I have had 2 disk drives die on me (both Lacie). Unless SSD’s have reliability issues which I’m thinking not since they’re not mechanical
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Samsung EVO but try to get a little bigger capacity that you can afford because you can never really have enough and need a good amount of free space for caching.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I switched to a SSD on my older dual core DAW.
There was no improvement whatsoever and it actually became more glitchy having oddball hang ups and freezes.
I bought a new standard drive and I'm switching back. I may use the SSD as a third internal drive and see how it works for recording wave files.

I do have a new high end laptop/workstation with three internal drives. Two are SS drives and the third is standard. I use it exclusively as a mobile DAW and haven't had any issues so far. I suspect the differences are the older HP desktop was built before SS drives were available. Its got a good chipset and I keep using it because I haven't had any issues but it was originally a Vista OS so it may be the hardware just isn't very supportive of a SS drive.

It works, but no noticeable differences in speed. The flakiness is pretty predictable at least. I usually have enough time to save my current project then restart the program which seems to work. Its concerning enough that I want to avoid a fatal crash. If a standard disk crashes running as an OS its usually going to run as a slave so you can get info off it. Its mostly when they get too many hours on them where the motors begin to fail that makes have fatal crashes and even then I've stucj a few in the freezer for a short time and got enough out of them to get data off them.

Standard disks have been around a long time so most flaws have been engineered out of their design plus that do have read write memory.
Straight memory chips have to be high speed and high quality. I suspect there's allot of garbage sold just like there is with thumb drives. In fact I bought several 32G drives for moving music from one computer to the next and talk about dog slow. I knew they were made in china so I didn't expect much but man. Not just one either its all 4.

At least the data is reliable but the speed of the memory on SSD's is very important. If you're buying one be sure you get the right type. They come in several classes.

Class 10 = 520K Read /320K Write
Class 20 = 500K Read / 300K Write
Class 30 = 550K Read / 350K Write
Class 40 = 1500 Read / 350K Write
Class 50 = 2100K Read / 1200K Write

The first 3 are SATA and the first two are consumer level. The class 40 & 50 require PCIe

Then there are SATA 1, 2 and 3 classifications.

SATA 1 = (the oldest) 1.5 Gb/s
SATA 2 = 3 Gb/s
SATA 3 = 6 Gb/s

When you buy SSD's based on price you may wind up with NOS and it may be dog slow (like I believe mine is)

The WD drive I bought has 64 M cache and writes 6G per second which is plenty for audio if I were writing to that drive which I'm not.
I have an independent drive for that so it doesn't matter which drive I use for the OS so long as its glitch free.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I know it's slutty but I really love the Glyph external drives. I almost want to spend the extra money on them. I'm pretty sure they do an SSD.
Old 3 days ago
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am on a 2010 MBP
Do you have an internal SSD installed in your MBP? I've installed a 1 TB SSD into my 2010 13" MBP and it got like 5x faster overall. I did not expect that kind of a performance boost from just a drive upgrade.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Do you have an internal SSD installed in your MBP? I've installed a 1 TB SSD into my 2010 13" MBP and it got like 5x faster overall. I did not expect that kind of a performance boost from just a drive upgrade.
No I haven’t though I heard it feels like a whole new computer. I’m leery of upgrading mine as it has a logic board issue that makes the computer reboot randomly (surprisingly hasn’t happened during a session YET).

I think my next step is to buy a used newer MBP, the jump to a 2013 or newer model is significant and they come preloaded with SSD’s
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
... I’m leery of upgrading mine as it has a logic board issue that makes the computer reboot randomly...
I've been managing similar random crash/reboot symptoms in my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro. So far, I've determined that it's related to the discrete graphics 'card' in the motherboard. The integrated graphics seems to be fine, but use of the discrete has widely reported symptoms similar to those you're outlining.

I've installed this tool/utility, https://gfx.io/switching.html to force the machine to stay in integrated graphics mode. It obeys the utility pretty well, but Outlook seems to overreach and use discrete no matter what.

HTH
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I've installed this tool/utility, https://gfx.io/switching.html to force the machine to stay in integrated graphics mode. It obeys the utility pretty well, but Outlook seems to overreach and use discrete no matter what.

HTH
Hey thank you for that! I'll try using that utility
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

SanDisk, Samsung and Crucial are the only ones i would really opt for. SanDisk if i'm on a budget and Samsung or Crucial for Performance/Quality

Currently have two SanDisks 128GB + 480 GB and a 250GB Samsung. No complaints from either of them.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

go for a Samsung
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

So as I look into these drives further, especially the Samsung EVO/PRO ones, I see that I'll actually need an enclosure as they're internal drives? Any recommendations on cheap enclosures?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
So as I look into these drives further, especially the Samsung EVO/PRO ones, I see that I'll actually need an enclosure as they're internal drives? Any recommendations on cheap enclosures?
Can't you just get the enclosed ones?

No need to get extra stuff, just get a Velcro strap. Mine are screwed on a drive tray.

Or get this expansion tray.

This is what I have:
ICY DOCK 4x2.5 SSD to 5.25 Drive Bay Hot Swap Backplane Cage Mobile Rack Comparable to Tray-less Design - ExpressCage MB324SP-B

Just insert your drive and it grows with you in the future.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
... I'll actually need an enclosure as they're internal drives? Any recommendations on cheap enclosures?
I recommend the Inateck FE2002. Plastic, UASP-capable USB 3.0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search