The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 828es--Any impressions?
Old 23rd May 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Anyone using the 828 es with the 624 or 8a via AVB? Just curious how the sync and workflow between the 2 is... thanks
Yes, 16A to 828es vía avb. 828es to Mac mini vía thunderbolt. Works like a charm.

I recorded a live classical concert with the 16A on stage connected to the 828es vía avb in the control. Used the 828es for monitoring. Also I used a 50 meters Cat6. Pro tools recording 22 tracks at 96khz. Worked like a charm.
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Yes, 16A to 828es vía avb. 828es to Mac mini vía thunderbolt. Works like a charm.

I recorded a live classical concert with the 16A on stage connected to the 828es vía avb in the control. Used the 828es for monitoring. Also I used a 50 meters Cat6. Pro tools recording 22 tracks at 96khz. Worked like a charm.
Hey thanks btw... just saw this now. Do you notice any conversion differences between the two? ADC or DAC side? Thanks...
Old 23rd July 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hey thanks btw... just saw this now. Do you notice any conversion differences between the two? ADC or DAC side? Thanks...
None.
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
None.
wow awesome, thanks.
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Any thoughts on the 828es versus the Clarett 8preX? I'm trying to decide between the two or *maybe* the Antelope Orion32+ or Apollo x6.

- Primary application will be Ableton, some ProTools and Logic.
- IO primarily for outboard synths/machines and processing those machines and/or software instruments. Will not mic up drums/etc. *maybe* some simple vocal recording.

The x6 and Orion32+ are likely overkill for my purposes, right? I've got an Apollo MK ii QUAD at the moment and I want more IO. (And I'm somewhat hesitant to get sucked into UAD's universe never to return)

Running 4Ghz Intel i7 Mac with 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 on 10.14.5

First post - I'll duck. Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaccent View Post
Any thoughts on the 828es versus the Clarett 8preX? I'm trying to decide between the two or *maybe* the Antelope Orion32+ or Apollo x6.
I haven't done any direct comparisons, but I'm definitely overjoyed with the 828es for exactly the kind of scenario you describe. It is flexible, solid, and it's nice not having to pay for more than a couple of mic preamps, or worry about noise or coloration they might add on most of the channels.

Having two optical in/out pairs plus S/PDIF in/out plus AVB for expansion gave me confidence that I could build on it as my needs change. I've been debating getting two more of them, one for a second residence and another to expand the original setup. Since I have a few months to make a final decision I've been holding off to see if the line winds up being expanded or updated, but I won't be disappointed if I simply wind up buying more of what I know and love.
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I haven't done any direct comparisons, but I'm definitely overjoyed with the 828es for exactly the kind of scenario you describe. It is flexible, solid, and it's nice not having to pay for more than a couple of mic preamps, or worry about noise or coloration they might add on most of the channels.

Having two optical in/out pairs plus S/PDIF in/out plus AVB for expansion gave me confidence that I could build on it as my needs change. I've been debating getting two more of them, one for a second residence and another to expand the original setup. Since I have a few months to make a final decision I've been holding off to see if the line winds up being expanded or updated, but I won't be disappointed if I simply wind up buying more of what I know and love.
Good insight - thank you!
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hi,

I’m thinking of getting an 828es and noticed the firmware received an update on July 30th 2019. Has there been any improvements with latency or lag when using TouchControl?
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how the RTL of the 828ES compares to the Focusrite Scarlett Gen3?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A member of this forum kindly posted their results of the RTL of this interface via both USB and ThunderBolt here :-

MOTU 828ES USB RTL

Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

MOTU 828ES ThunderBolt RTL

Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

The measured RTL for the Focusrite Scarlett Gen 3 is :-

44.1kHz
Buffer - 32, RTL - 4.638000107
Buffer - 64, RTL - 8.113999939
Buffer - 256, RTL - 24.80200005
Buffer - 512, RTL - 48.40799942
Buffer - 1024, RTL - 95.65599976

48kHz
Buffer - 32, RTL - 4.35199995
Buffer - 64, RTL - 7.765999985
Buffer - 128, RTL - 12.40799999
Buffer - 256, RTL - 23.70999985
Buffer - 512, RTL - 44.40800018
Buffer - 1024, RTL - 87.71800079

As you can see the Motu 828ES has much lower RTL than the Scarlett Gen3 and even my firewire Saffire Pro!
As a result I've just picked up an 828ES and it should be here later this week
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hi all

new to the forum and read many threads on the 828es: really interesting and geat interface it seems.
Saw many utube MOtu TV on the mixer too.

I'm contemplating at the 828es to replace/ my XR18 digit mixer to better suit my studio usage:
- be more compliant with my Axe FX 3 guitar modeler with 115db DAC dynamic: to be plugged into S/PDIF
- just have 2 mics on a guitar cab for my regular guitar amp
- power 2 matrix amp GM50 with 2 12" FRFR cabs
- power a sub through another interface out
- power a second monitors pair
- other guitar amp inputs
- play with some VSTI like Ez drummer2, Ez Keys, EZ bass coming, Amplitube guitar, etc.
- no more than 5 tracks into Reaper
- win10 I7 8700K, 16Go

Lantency shouldn't be an issue for my usage ! As I too will use the direct monitoring capabilities for my axe Fx 3. Just play through Reaper EZ DRummer, Keys, Bass or a backing track. Or some AMplitube when needed.
With my XR18 I have 2.6/2.6 ms in Reaper, so a 5 to 6 ms RTL.

Seems the headphone outs are quiet nice too (have a Sennheiser HD25 70ohms), even if not the same dynamic (108 db) as the converters. But your comment let me think that pretty good.

A question:
- Typically I find the headphone to have a really nice dynamic, but a bit too bassy for my guitar tracking
- I think in the 828es mixer I can insert an Eq only on the headphone out to make a slight correction, correct ?

thanks a lot for this very informative thread.
Bruno
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The suspense is killing me!
I'm curious if you survived.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbmp View Post
new to the forum and read many threads on the 828es: really interesting and geat interface it seems.
It has certainly exceeded my expectations, though I don’t claim to use it in any professional capacity. I’m just very impressed with the feature set and engineering for a reasonable price. I use mine with a Helix on an S/PDIF input, so not entirely dissimilar, though I don’t have a cabinet mic’ed in my setup.

Quote:
Seems the headphone outs are quiet nice too (have a Sennheiser HD25 70ohms), even if not the same dynamic (108 db) as the converters. But your comment let me think that pretty good.
They’ve worked well with my HD600 pairing.

Quote:
A question:
- Typically I find the headphone to have a really nice dynamic, but a bit too bassy for my guitar tracking
- I think in the 828es mixer I can insert an Eq only on the headphone out to make a slight correction, correct ?
You certainly can, but it requires using one of the Aux or Group busses to do the trick because Monitor isn’t actually a unique mix in its own right. It’s typically just shorthand for automatically switching between the Main mix and solo’ed instruments, and it doesn’t have EQ of its own. All you’d need to do is route the Main or Monitor mix into an Aux or Group bus and route that bus to the headphone outputs so you can do the EQ tweaks for that output alone. Of course it could also be a unique mix in its own right with different levels, which is typical of how someone might set up their own personal monitoring mix, but I am assuming you’d rather it track the mains with just the required EQ correction?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks a lot Lady Gaia for that fast answer !

my usage is very amateur (but loving nice sound !) in my home studio.
Your set up with helix is pretty closed to mine.

I'll test that for the headphone out to have the eq just on this and not on the main out to my poweramps.
I guess you're using the HD600 to play your helix: how would you qualify the 828 headphone outs in terms of dynamic/clarity/punch/frequency/power

Looking to order my 828es and test/compare to my XR18... surely another world, although the XR18 is quiet good sounding for what it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbmp View Post
I guess you're using the HD600 to play your helix: how would you qualify the 828 headphone outs in terms of dynamic/clarity/punch/frequency/power
I've found the output to be clean and more than powerful enough for my needs with those headphones. I am cautious about overly loud sessions so I'm sure there are some who would like it louder still - I normally monitor at -10dB, but a quick test shows they're still punchy and clear set at their maximum 0dB setting.

I use this configuration primarily with keys, where I'm extremely pleased and have much more of a reference point. The bass, and especially guitar, are newer additions to my musical spectrum but I love being able to explore a wide range of tones without bothering the neighbors with a mic'ed amp setup. I wouldn't have space for it in any case!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for these informations.
Helps a lot to be confident in my choice. Don't want to get death with my Axe FX of course ! just want nice and full usage with headphones, so seems to be spot on ! just have to order next month...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Motu arrived a couple of days ago but for some strange reason but MOTU DISCOVERY app says - "There are no devices currently connected"? I've tried two tested and working USB cables in different tested and working USB 2 ports on my PC but my 828ES is not showing up? I tried deleting and re-installing drivers, deleted and installed older drivers as MOTU suggested but this hasn't fixes the issue.
Audio is playing through the 828ES through the main outputs and headphone channels but it's not being detected by either the Discovery or Pro Audio Control app!??
I'm on a Windows 7 64bit PC. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would recommend reaching out to MotU support directly, who have doubtless seen it all and will have some insight into what's going on and how best to begin the diagnosis.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes I did this a couple of days but they haven’t been able to solve it yet?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Yes I did this a couple of days but they haven’t been able to solve it yet?
I haven’t been an active Windows user for the better part of a decade, but my first question would be: does the modern equivalent of Device Manager show the USB device as being connected? If even the OS doesn’t see it, then it isn’t a device driver issue - it’s something more fundamental. If it does see it, then I’d make sure you’ve rebooted since the last install and go over any installation steps carefully to make sure the driver isn’t being ignored because of a skipped step required to authenticate it from the operating system’s point of view.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven’t been an active Windows user for the better part of a decade, but my first question would be: does the modern equivalent of Device Manager show the USB device as being connected? If even the OS doesn’t see it, then it isn’t a device driver issue - it’s something more fundamental. If it does see it, then I’d make sure you’ve rebooted since the last install and go over any installation steps carefully to make sure the driver isn’t being ignored because of a skipped step required to authenticate it from the operating system’s point of view.
Thanks. I've already tried all of those things and this hasn't solved the issue. The interface does appear to be working correctly as in it will record into Cubase 9 fine and audio is coming in and out of the unit but my 828ES is not being detected by the Discovery and Pro Audio Control apps!?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've just tried my 828ES on my wife's Windows 10 laptop and both the MOTU Discovery and Pro Audio Control apps are now working perfectly so the issue is clearly on my studio windows 7 PC.
I've got a new high end custom built audio PC arriving any day so hopefully I won't have any issues with this
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search