The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looper Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Looper Software

I'm looking for a software alternative to a hardware looper pedal.

I tried Ableton Looper and Reaper's Super 8 Looper.

They come close but I need it to behave exactly like the Ditto Stereo Looper I just bought.

The cool thing about the Ditto is that your overdubs can exceed the length of the original loop which Ableton unfortunately can't do.
It also has the 1 foot switch button to rec/overdub/play/undo.

I want to go the software route because not only can I save more than 1 loop at a time, I would also have a mic and MIDI instruments at my disposal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
The cool thing about the Ditto is that your overdubs can exceed the length of the original loop which Ableton unfortunately can't do.
That's strange, because I've never seen any looper to do that. Basically it doesn't make much sense, the first recording sets loop length and then everything else is just overdub, which naturally has to have the same length.
Regardless it's software or hardware.. I have no idea, how it would allow to have arbitrary overdub length and still qualify as a looper.
Basically I've seen two approaches.. the first one create another layer of overdub, when it's in record mode and it "loops over" and the second is constantly overwriting the current overdub layer, until you press play to stop recording or record to create another overdub layer.

I've played with mono version of Ditto and certainly all overdubs has the same length.
For my curiosity I've just checked manual for stereo version and it's the same. Quote from there..

Quote:
Please note that the length of the loop will
never increase when overdubbing. When you
continue playing, you will simply create additional
overdubs. You can record as many overdubs
as you like – there is no limit.
Michal
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

That's strange, because I've never seen any looper to do that. Basically it doesn't make much sense, the first recording sets loop length and then everything else is just overdub, which naturally has to have the same length.
Regardless it's software or hardware.. I have no idea, how it would allow to have arbitrary overdub length and still qualify as a looper.
Basically I've seen two approaches.. the first one create another layer of overdub, when it's in record mode and it "loops over" and the second is constantly overwriting the current overdub layer, until you press play to stop recording or record to create another overdub layer.

I've played with mono version of Ditto and certainly all overdubs has the same length.
For my curiosity I've just checked manual for stereo version and it's the same. Quote from there..

Michal
You're right Michal. I checked a few days ago.

I guess that's just what I got from my first experience with the pedal but I went back to see if I could overdub a longer piece over the main loop and I couldn't. The main loop would repeat along with what I was currently overdubbing. So the overdub would overlap on top of itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I rediscovered the looper software: Mobius

It's got 8 separate tracks. You can record the master loop and then on tracks 2-8, your loop length can exceed the length of the master loop unlike the aforementioned ditto pedal. And don't worry I can verify it.

For Users Who Have Previously Tried Mobius:

How do I set it up so when after recording the master loop,
Tracks 2-8 behave in such a way that they record right away when you press record, not having to wait for the master loop to start over.

And then when you press record again, the current track will only play back what you just recorded when the master loop finishes so both tracks are in sync with one another.

I got Mobius working like this before, it's just I fiddled with its settings and now I don't know how to get it back. I've been racking my brains for days to get it back that way.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search