The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugin Help / Waves Sale
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post

I'm gonna try Vitamin tonight. The Decapitator was on sale for a hundo last month, but I didn't have the cash.
You mention Decapitator, so I assume you are interested in saturation. Try REDD. I have all Soundtoys plugins, including Decapitator. Redd is exceptional for saturation duties, not least on bass. I cannot possibly see how you could go wrong for 29 USD here.

However, I also think that correct gain staging is important with REDD (i.e. hitting it with app. -18 dBFS).

I have bought quite a few Waves plugins during this crazy sale, and I have to say that I think they are at least as high quality as UAD's offerings (I have some of their stuff). At the ridiculous sales prices, I would consider Waves' offerings no-brainers. Or does anyone really think that UAD offers ten times the quality of corresponding Waves stuff, thus is worth paying ten times more for? At least I don't.

/Magnus
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleysr View Post
I own the API Vision Strip. It's great, although I don't use it as often as the Neve 1073, 610A/B Voxbox and 88RS. Obviously, you get (essentially) a 550 EQ with the Vision. The comp is good, but it's not a 2500. FWIW, the Waves API 550 is interchangeable with the UAD version, IMO. I've done A/B tests.

The 610s are great. I actually prefer the B, which you already have. Push it a little and it really comes alive for vocals.

If you can get the Waves API for $29 and feel the UAD is too much of a stretch, get it. I'm not suggesting it's a dog, just that I think the UAD outshines it.
Oh, 100%, the 610b definitely outshines the a. I grabbed the 88rs when it was on sale for 99. I like that for low end.
The one thing I haven't tried is running my POD XT output thru those preamps set to line. When you record guitars (electric/acoustic) which UA preamp do u like best?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
You mention Decapitator, so I assume you are interested in saturation. Try REDD. I have all Soundtoys plugins, including Decapitator. Redd is exceptional for saturation duties, not least on bass. I cannot possibly see how you could go wrong for 29 USD here.

However, I also think that correct gain staging is important with REDD (i.e. hitting it with app. -18 dBFS).

I have bought quite a few Waves plugins during this crazy sale, and I have to say that I think they are at least as high quality as UAD's offerings (I have some of their stuff). At the ridiculous sales prices, I would consider Waves' offerings no-brainers. Or does anyone really think that UAD offers ten times the quality of corresponding Waves stuff, thus is worth paying ten times more for? At least I don't.

/Magnus
Haha. I also can't demo the REDD. I tried the TGI and didn't like it better than other EQs/Saturator/comp
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted User
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I own the API Vision Strip. It's great, although I don't use it as often as the Neve 1073, 610A/B Voxbox and 88RS. Obviously, you get (essentially) a 550 EQ with the Vision. The comp is good, but it's not a 2500. FWIW, the Waves API 550 is interchangeable with the UAD version, IMO. I've done A/B tests.

The 610s are great. I actually prefer the B, which you already have. Push it a little and it really comes alive for vocals.

If you can get the Waves API for $29 and feel the UAD is too much of a stretch, get it. I'm not suggesting it's a dog, just that I think the UAD outshines it.
Oh, 100%, the 610b definitely outshines the a. I grabbed the 88rs when it was on sale for 99. I like that for low end.
The one thing I haven't tried is running my POD XT output thru those preamps set to line. When you record guitars (electric/acoustic) which UA preamp do u like best?
For guitars, if an amp or model is involved, I like the 1073. As a DI, I like the Voxbox.

Putting the 88RS on busses, using the mic pre setting, is great. It adds more punch, presence and definition. It has a phenomenal gate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So I just tried the Waves API 2500; I'll definitely be grabbing that. Can only imagine what the UA ver is like. I prefer the UA 1176 Legacy over the CLA-76. Vitamin is cool. Threw it on the 2bus and cycled thru the five "Mastering" presets. It adds some brightness/sparkle, clarity and glue; buying it. Think that maxes me out on cash.

So with the 2500, Vitamin and Reel ADT I think my weekend went pretty f*ckin rad.

Last edited by 79adam79; 2 weeks ago at 08:52 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Any comments on the V-Series? It's all Neve emu's, ya? Do the v-comp and UA Neve 33609 both model the 2254? I'm still on the fence with the 33609; haven't really found a place where is shines over all my other options. As far as the V-Series, it says it emulates three different EQs in the description, but only comes with two EQ plugs.. how does that work? The $69 price tag definitely got me thinkin.

And how about the SSL collection, being $299 throughout that giant sale, and then dropping another hundo the day after the sale ends. Sure some people r banging their head off the wall. Too bad I can't afford that. Haven't tried any of the Waves SSL stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Any comments on the V-Series? It's all Neve emu's, ya? Do the v-comp and UA Neve 33609 both model the 2254? I'm still on the fence with the 33609; haven't really found a place where is shines over all my other options. As far as the V-Series, it says it emulates three different EQs in the description, but only comes with two EQ plugs.. how does that work? The $69 price tag definitely got me thinkin.

And how about the SSL collection, being $299 throughout that giant sale, and then dropping another hundo the day after the sale ends. Sure some people r banging their head off the wall. Too bad I can't afford that. Haven't tried any of the Waves SSL stuff.
The Waves SSL Collection sounds good, has great workflow and uses very low CPU on modern computers. If you bought any of the SSL channels Waves have been selling for 29.00, there's an upgrade option.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted User
Quote:

While the 33609 has its roots in the 2254, it's a different beast. The UAD 33609 is unbeatable, as far I'm concerned. Lindell has a nice 2254. So does the Liquid Mix.

If I had to pick just one comp off your list, it would be the UAD 33609. Exceptionally versatile and a minuscule hit on the DSP card.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
While the 33609 has its roots in the 2254, it's a different beast. The UAD 33609 is unbeatable, as far I'm concerned. Lindell has a nice 2254. So does the Liquid Mix.

If I had to pick just one comp off your list, it would be the UAD 33609. Exceptionally versatile and a minuscule hit on the DSP card.
Anything inparticular that gets you reaching for the 33609? And then how do you set it? Limiter or Comp, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted User
Quote:
Anything inparticular that gets you reaching for the 33609? And then how do you set it? Limiter or Comp, etc.
As stated, it's versatile: capable of great subtlety, but can squash with the best of them. Good transparency, but not clinical. It's just a damned fine comp plug, so I use it. Channels, groups, 2-buss..... it can go anywhere. Not quirky, BTW. It does smooth very well.

Settings? That's completely case by case. Generally, it's a comp. It has a very nice limiter, but I almost never use limiters.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm mostly interested in the V-EQ3, the 1066/1073 emu. Seems like that's the gem of the series. Didn't have a chance to demo anything last night. Luckily the prices stayed the same today.

Speaking of Lindell, I might have already mentioned this, but I loved the Lindell TE-100 EQ when I demoed it. Waiting for that thing to go on sale.

Do you need the liquid mix hardware or do they have a seperate software plugin?

Last edited by 79adam79; 2 weeks ago at 03:52 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I really like the PSP 85 and a couple other expensive ones. Would be nice to find a good cheap one, still looking.
PSP85 is at sale for 25$ on pluginboutique.com As well as all the other PSP delays. I have 85 but it crashes Harisson Mixbus without the use of a plugin chainer (like DDMF metaplugin).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVDL View Post
PSP85 is at sale for 25$ on pluginboutique.com As well as all the other PSP delays. I have 85 but it crashes Harisson Mixbus without the use of a plugin chainer (like DDMF metaplugin).
Ya, I got an email from PSP about their 80% all delay plugs.
Is that just some weird compatibility issue with the PSP 85 and Harrison Mix Bus or is the 85 buggy and prone to crashing? Also, the 85 is AAX, so why would I need a plugin wrapper when using it in PT?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nan View Post
I hope their Puigchild comp gets an 29$ deal, too. It´s the perfect supplement.
It did about a month ago. Probably it will again... just wait until it's at 29$ under the personal deals tab and pinch off an extra 10% using the CK901 coupon at checkout. That will set you out at 26$. I waited out a lot of sales like that and got me heaps of top notch Waves stuff lately. If I could start over I would spend a little more and go for bundles with a lot of older plugins for pocketmoney that are often paired with newer ones. And probably some bundles like H bundle, v-collection, Abbey road...
I 've always been reluctant to buy their stuff because I thought of them as too expensive... but lately I jumped on their sales and I'm happy I did.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Ya, I got an email from PSP about their 80% all delay plugs.
Is that just some weird compatibility issue with the PSP 85 and Harrison Mix Bus or is the 85 buggy and prone to crashing? Also, the 85 is AAX, so why would I need a plugin wrapper when using it in PT?
I tried it in Reaper, with no trouble at all.
It's a very deep plugin, lots of possibilities.
And the tape echo (forgot the name) I like a lot too. No trouble in Mixbus, only with Psp85.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I like the UA Precision Delay so much that I'm not even sure I need the PSP 85.
I have enough cash to get one more plug for $29.
I still haven't tried the Kramer HLS; the UA Helios 69 is my go to EQ for distorted guitar.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I've read great things about the UA fatso jr. There's a plug called Disto that's the fatso and distressor, but I've heard mixed reviews and there ain't a demo.
I have it and like it a lot. Check out youtube: Mixbus Tv is a pro mixer that does an extensive review of SKnote Disto. Be sure to check this video with good speakers or headphone. If you're lucky someone that hates it wants to sell it to you for even less. I think it's a no brainer. You can have a refund if you don't like it...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
That Michael white tutorial is cool, but I can't stomach listening to him mix bells and synth whistles over a door slamming.
I never saw that one, but the guy has very informative video's. Like I said, everything from the MixbusTV channel (nothing to do with Harrison), recording revolution, mix coach,... lots of good stuff on youtube that also gives you a good idea idea about how the processor affects the sound. Michael white has lots of Waves plugins in his plugin of the week reviews.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I have enough cash to get one more plug for $29.
I still haven't tried the Kramer HLS; the UA Helios 69 is my go to EQ for distorted guitar.
Personaly I try to limit my list to just one good emulation of a given processor. Newer versions from competitors might be even better, but that won't hurt a good mix. I might be interrested if the competing plugin is exceptionally better. I passed on the Puigtec because I already have PSP nobleQ for four years or so. The plugin sounds killer, so no need to look further in this niche. Although I must admit it's hard not to give in to the urge to buy from time to time...
I would pass on helios eq unless you're after a sound that sounds substantially different to the UAD one. For saturated sounds there are some great nobrainers like Klanghelm SDRR, or the free IVGI, the Altec version from Shattered glass audio and a few good others. They will give you even more tonal options to color your guitar tones... or even a guitarpedal if you have a reasonably good (no need for a high dollar one) soundcard with enough I O .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Can the PSP 85 do everything that the PSP Lexicon 42 does and more? Or are there certain features specific to the two? I'm just trying to figure out what either of those two delays have to offer that the UA Precision Delay can't.

I watched the Mixbus TV video for the Disto and it sounds great. There's also the Arouser, the Empirical Labs Distressor plugin, although it doesn't have the Fatso emu. It's WAY more expensive than Disto, but they offer the $5/mo rental price. Mixbus TV has a demo comparison between the hardware vs Arouser, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing. Has anyone tried both the Disto and Arouser? Which do you like better?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I have disto v2, waiting on v3 to drop, demo’d Fg stress but did not demo arouser and do have a hardware distressor. Disto, imo, has the vibe of the distressor, sort of. It is punchy for days and for the price is a no brainer. The fatso part of it, I’m not really getting it. Fg stress is the 1 to beat. It totally has the hardware thing happening. Once I spent some time with it I realized I have to buy it, reluctantly. (Personal reasons). Sknote is beta testing v3. Looks kind of like arouser to me. Fg stress has a mix knob as well which is incredibly useful. I hope it goes on sale again. I’m not into plugin subscriptions.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Can the PSP 85 do everything that the PSP Lexicon 42 does and more? Or are there certain features specific to the two? I'm just trying to figure out what either of those two delays have to offer that the UA Precision Delay can't.
I don't know about the precision delay, because I don't have UAD.
The PSP Lexicon 42 is supposed to be PSP's take on a Lexicon PCM 42 digital delay. It is not supposed to sound analog but has it's own distinct cool sound and is still an expensive and wanted piece. The emulation isn't supposed to be spot on, but I think that should be an advantage given PSP's reputation.
The NobleQ for example is everething you would want in a Pultec style EQ plus usefull and cool extra's.

I don't have the PSP Lexicon 42 so I can't compare them, but what I read about them comes more or less down to the following:
The PSP 84 should be an even more featured and stereo version of the Lexicon 42 concept, but not endorsed by Lexicon like the 42 I think. The sound variations you can make on this thing are endless, there is even tape emulation (primitive) and reverb present as well... so endless options and great soundquality.
If you're looking for a great delay on a budget, I think you can't go wrong if you choose either the H-delay or the PSP82... they are entirely different types of delay however. Tutorial wise you'd find lots of H-delay movies, PSP82 you won't find much about online... It seems it is a little underappreciated still.
PSP usally rises their prices after a sale is given, so the next opportunity can be a long wait... Waves seem to lowered their prices permanently... hopefully.
I think it is really really awsome they did that.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I have disto v2, waiting on v3 to drop, demo’d Fg stress but did not demo arouser and do have a hardware distressor. Disto, imo, has the vibe of the distressor, sort of. It is punchy for days and for the price is a no brainer. The fatso part of it, I’m not really getting it. Fg stress is the 1 to beat. It totally has the hardware thing happening. Once I spent some time with it I realized I have to buy it, reluctantly. (Personal reasons). Sknote is beta testing v3. Looks kind of like arouser to me. Fg stress has a mix knob as well which is incredibly useful. I hope it goes on sale again. I’m not into plugin subscriptions.
I like the Fatso part but use it rather sparingly unless I want the effect to be excessive. It gets hairy rather quickly, as with a lot of plugins that emulate saturation. It's handy to have in just one plugin for ease of use, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Fatso part if choosing a distressor like plugin.
I think it does the job very easily, rather apparent too but I wouldn't use this plugin to emulate other emulations... so I think it's ok to sound apparent quickly. Maybe other emulations are a little smoother at first... but like I said that is none of my concerns because I have the sound at hand already.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I demoed the PSP 84, and loved it, but now it seems they've upgraded it to 85. I wonder if that means I can demo it again? Is the 82, (83?), 84 and now 85 the same plugin with added features/bug fixes? Thanks for the link; I'll check it out on my commute home. The sale ends on the 18th, so there's plenty of time to check all the PSP delays.
I own the H-Series and while H-Delay is by no means bad, it's definitely not my go to delay...and besides that and the UA Precision, I only have the free delays that came with PT.

I'll have to check out FG-Stress; I didn't know it was a Distressor emu. Are there other quality Fatboy emu's worth checking out besides the UA one?

As for saturation plugs, I bought McDSP Analog Channel when it was on sale last month and I've been loving it. Still learning how to use it best, whether it be mixing into a multi-mono instance of AC101 on the 2bus or using it on every track and figuring out where to place it in the chain (first, last or somewhere in-between). And then with the AC202, just figuring out where and when to use it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Sorry to interrupt, but this extended discussion of PSP 84 etc has no relevance whatsoever for this topic, which is the Waves sale. Start a new thread, please.

Best,

Magnus
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
Sorry to interrupt, but this extended discussion of PSP 84 etc has no relevance whatsoever for this topic, which is the Waves sale. Start a new thread, please.

Best,

Magnus
Why do you even care? And you're just now noticing the off topic posts? I'm pretty sure mostly all of mine have been all over the place. I like the opinions of the people who've decided to chime in, so why not keep it rolling?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why do you even care? And you're just now noticing the off topic posts? I'm pretty sure mostly all of mine have been all over the place. I like the opinions of the people who've decided to chime in, so why not keep it rolling?
Fair question and point taken. It's just that I find the original topic (Waves sales/plugins) of particular interest, and eagerly read everything new that is posted in this topic. So I miss the original discussion.

Best,

Magnus
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Do you know if there's an upgrade charge when a new version is released? I don't wanna buy ver 2 and then have to spend more cash soon after for ver 3.

I also need to demo Arouser and FG-Stress before making a decision on which to buy. Are there any other Distressor emu's, besides these three, that are worth checking out?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know if there's an upgrade charge when a new version is released? I don't wanna buy ver 2 and then have to spend more cash soon after for ver 3.

No. Buy Disto V2 and get V3 for free
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search