The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
intel i9 daw work Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd October 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaudiolabs View Post
You can also right click your start button, select "task manager", and look at how services are running in the task manager. Here, you can set process priority, CPU affinity, things like that, that can further tweak your setup.
Process Hacker can keep the settings permanent, but for some settings Process Hacker must be running.
Old 3rd October 2018
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
pcaudiolabs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Process Hacker can keep the settings permanent, but for some settings Process Hacker must be running.
True, and there are ways to set application launches to specific executable via Windows, as well. I've built app launches and batch files for clients that do this, but it again can be problematic.
Old 12th October 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Holy crap does PH bring my computer to a standstill!

I have no issues, but I wanted to see what, if anything, PH did. Well, it greatly increases my CPU usage from about 30% (with my template loaded) to about 75%. I can not effectively play a project made with my template, whereas before, again, no issues.

PH has been uninstalled here.

Cheers.
Old 12th October 2018
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
pcaudiolabs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Holy crap does PH bring my computer to a standstill!

I have no issues, but I wanted to see what, if anything, PH did. Well, it greatly increases my CPU usage from about 30% (with my template loaded) to about 75%. I can not effectively play a project made with my template, whereas before, again, no issues.

PH has been uninstalled here.

Cheers.
I imagine you were kicking up the process priority of a process, then? That's what would jank your system up, typically.

Most people don't need to install PH, anyway.
Old 12th October 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaudiolabs View Post
I imagine you were kicking up the process priority of a process, then?
Dunno. I set Cubase to realtime, as Pictus suggested.

Cheers.
Old 12th October 2018
  #36
Gear Maniac
 
pcaudiolabs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Dunno. I set Cubase to realtime, as Pictus suggested.

Cheers.
Well, yeah, setting your process handling to realtime is problematic in most setups. There's very little reason to set your process handling that high. You're pushing something to the front of the line when there are many others that need to be there, as well. Best to let Windows handle the process management, typically, unless you're really trying to hack your setup.
Old 12th October 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaudiolabs View Post
Best to let Windows handle the process management....
Yes, I have found that out.
Old 12th October 2018
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
pcaudiolabs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Yes, I have found that out.
Nothing wrong with learning by doing!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump