The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Manley Vox Box vs Neve 88RS
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

UAD Manley Vox Box vs Neve 88RS

Hi All,

Does anyone own or use both of these regularly?

I'm looking to get one in the current UAD sale that ends on 9/15. Normally, I'd just demo and decide, but I have no power due to Irma and I will not be restored in time to demo and/or purchase before the sale ends.

I will be using it through Apollo/Unison on vocals, bass and guitar in various genres (rock, funk, soul, jazz, blues, pop, etc.).

Which have you found to be most useful and versatile?

Thank in advance for all replies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have them both and like 'm both a lot. The Voxbox is my favourite Unison plugin when recording vocals and acoustic guitar, but I rarely use it during mixing. It's the other way around for the 88RS, that one is used in most mixes I do but rarely during recording in Unison.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I have them both and like 'm both a lot. The Voxbox is my favourite Unison plugin when recording vocals and acoustic guitar, but I rarely use it during mixing. It's the other way around for the 88RS, that one is used in most mixes I do but rarely during recording in Unison.
Thanks for responding, Marando.

Have you tried tracking in Unison with the 88RS and found it to be unsuitable? ...or do you just have a preference for the VoxBox or other preamps?

If you could only keep one, which would it be? (Hypothetical, of course!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Anyone else?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blountedge View Post
Thanks for responding, Marando.

Have you tried tracking in Unison with the 88RS and found it to be unsuitable? ...or do you just have a preference for the VoxBox or other preamps?

If you could only keep one, which would it be? (Hypothetical, of course!)
The 88RS is certainly not unsuitable in my experience for tracking, it's purely a preference thing that I rather use the Voxbox. If I had to keep one of them, it would be the Voxbox, since I also have the API Vision and the new SSL channel and love them too during mixing. Don't get me wrong, I love to use the 88RS, but the new SSL channel has already taken over some tasks.

In the end I like 'm all! :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have and use both. If I had to choose only one (for the moment), I'd get the 88RS. In my opinion, it has the edge in versatility and additional features.

Each of its components cover a broad range. It has an excellent mic pre. The EQ is parametric, it has a pretty stellar gate and the saturation is very colorful. Try the latter on your groups, during mixdown.

The Manley is great. I think it excels in delivering an elegant, subtle warmth. I haven't needed to push it hard, so I can only characterize it based on my application of it.

Frankly, you should eventually purchase both of them. There is certainly enough of a difference to warrant owning both of these plugins.

Last edited by harleysr; 6 days ago at 07:39 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate your insight. Thankfully, my power was finally restored yesterday, so I was able to grab the demos last night and started checking them out. I haven't made a final decision yet, but one thing is certain - I will eventually own both.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I have both of them. For male vocals, there is nothing quite like the Vox Box. It is amazing. It works well for some female vocals, acoustic guitar and bass.

The 88RS works well on everything, very very versatile. I use it a ton in mixing.

I think the plan to own both is good. Which one first would depend on how much male vocals I tracked. For the Unison plugs, it is unmatched in that application in my opinion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search