The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VST vs VST3
Old 7th September 2017
Deleted e68ee4e
VST vs VST3

Hi! , Is there any performance differences between VST and VST3 plugins.
Just interested for practical usage reasons. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company...gies/vst3.html

I install both versions, some VST 3's can have quirky, strange behavior. Certain mfgs. don't play nice together & can cause freezing, crashing. Swapping out the vst3 for vst2 can fix the problem.
Old 7th September 2017
Deleted e68ee4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company...gies/vst3.html

I install both versions, some VST 3's can have quirky, strange behavior. Certain mfgs. don't play nice together & can cause freezing, crashing. Swapping out the vst3 for vst2 can fix the problem.
Thanks for the info ceemusic. I've had problems with VST3 in the past and found I had to use VST's in one of my DAW's, so I was wanting to just go with VST in my plugin folder to also get rid of as many plugin references in DAW as possible.
Thanks again, much appreciated. John.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear
I avoid VST3 like the plague
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e68ee4e View Post
Is there any performance differences between VST and VST3 plugins.
Great question! The DSP code itself will be the same (unless a plugin specifically takes advantage of the VST3 enhancements). Otherwise, the VST2/VST3 is just a difference in the way the plugin and DAW communicate. But the DSP code will be the same and hence, should sound identical and perform identically.

It may be, however, that some plugins are more stable as VST2, or some behave better as VST3, you just have to experiment. I should think though that is down to the developers of the plugin and the DAW rather than the differences between VST2 and VST3.
Old 8th September 2017
Deleted e68ee4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Great question! The DSP code itself will be the same (unless a plugin specifically takes advantage of the VST3 enhancements). Otherwise, the VST2/VST3 is just a difference in the way the plugin and DAW communicate. But the DSP code will be the same and hence, should sound identical and perform identically.

It may be, however, that some plugins are more stable as VST2, or some behave better as VST3, you just have to experiment. I should think though that is down to the developers of the plugin and the DAW rather than the differences between VST2 and VST3.
Thanks very much for the info. So it seems I can clear out my VST3 folder and leave it to the VST for my purposes.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e68ee4e View Post
Thanks very much for the info. So it seems I can clear out my VST3 folder and leave it to the VST for my purposes.
I should think 99% of the time, yes! The real big differences in VST3 are (I think) some MIDI features, some sidechaining features and the ability to bypass processing when there is no audio coming in. However, those must all be coded specifically in the VST3 version of the plugin and none of the plugins I use use those features (I've A/Bed the CPU usage of the VST2/3 variants of the same plugins both in use and during silence and never seen any difference).

I keep loading the VST3 versions of plugins sometimes in the hope that something magical will happen, but of course it won't and I use the VST2 versions practically all the time. I don't even think I have any VST3-only plugins and so yeah, if you don't need them, delete them (<== I should follow my own advice!).
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Head

VST3 support is a bit spotty on some DAWs. Some features such as factory presets may elicit strange behavior. As for performance, DSP code is often the same across all targets.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear
One thing I like, according to the Steinberg page is VST3 only uses CPU when audio is passing through and not when audio is not present on the track. Also for those doing surround any plugin can now be configured for surround and not just those plugins who's outputs are configured for it. Those who do surround should like that.

Now for what I don't like. My VST 2 folder is a custom folder on a separate drive with sub folders separated by brand with instruments in yet another sub folder. VST3 puts everything in the same folder separated by category and not where I direct it. Not letting me utilize my own separate custom VST3 folder and sub folders is confusing to me and destroys my work flow. Other than that I like the way they utilize CPU.
Old 8th September 2017
Deleted e68ee4e
Just like to say Thanks lads for your help.
VST3 =
Well! for now anyway.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

I always choose VST3, for less CPU usage (it only uses CPU when audio is running through it), and for side chain access.

Where it is filed in the computer is no big deal to me, especially as my DAW lets me create a "greatest hits" list of plug-ins.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Does CPU bypass apply to VST3 instruments too or only FX?
Old 9th September 2017
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
I always choose VST3, for less CPU usage (it only uses CPU when audio is running through it), and for side chain access.

Where it is filed in the computer is no big deal to me, especially as my DAW lets me create a "greatest hits" list of plug-ins.
This ^

Also it's to do with side chaining in cubase. VST3, you just click a button on the gui, only in steinberg products though. There is no VST3 only plug in and there is never likely to be.

We all know there's no sonic difference, only aax plug ins have better audio...

troll.jpg
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I know certain ToneBooster plugins VST2 version lack Side-chain feature, whilst their VST3 versions have them. This is really strange imo.

I hope this is more of an exception than a rule, cause eventually I'd like to only have VST2 plugins.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Waves plugins are all vst aren't they?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
I know certain ToneBooster plugins VST2 version lack Side-chain feature, whilst their VST3 versions have them. This is really strange imo.

I hope this is more of an exception than a rule, cause eventually I'd like to only have VST2 plugins.
I'm pretty certain only vst3 plugins have the sidechain button.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone know whether Komplete Kontrol can host VST3 yet??
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
"The Plague" sounds like a great name for a new VST3 plugin ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Waves plugins are all vst aren't they?
No
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
No
Actually, they do VST, VST3 AAX & AU

https://www.waves.com/support/tech-s...upported-hosts
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Actually, they do VST, VST3 AAX & AU

https://www.waves.com/support/tech-s...upported-hosts
The thread is VST versus VST3.
As answer to " they are vst?" , "no" means : Yes, they are VST3.

Haha, simple but complicated.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
The thread is VST versus VST3.
As answer to " they are vst?" , "no" means : Yes, they are VST3.

Haha, simple but complicated.
Ah!! Well, in that case it was an ambiguous question as I thought they were asking if Waves were VST/VST3 ONLY.

Which is fair to think that way, because quite a lot of indie developers are VST only.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Ah!! Well, in that case it was an ambiguous question as I thought they were asking if Waves were VST/VST3 ONLY.

Which is fair to think that way, because quite a lot of indie developers are VST only.
Well, I am getting confused now!

Keep well!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search