The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soft Synth - Herbie Hancock chameleon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Soft Synth - Herbie Hancock chameleon

What's a good soft synth for getting close to the Chameleon bass sound?

I own kontakt ultimate... Trillian... What else would get me there? Thinking about the new line from IK Multimedia as one of the instruments sampled is the 2600

Thx guys!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Massive can do a pretty good job (I assume you mean Komplete Ultimate, not Kontakt). Add a sine shaper in to the insert slot after the filter (you only need one in series), with the filter on Acid, and something like the Brauner tube on the output FX. Job done, more or less.
Old 1 week ago
It's an Arp, probably with a Moog clone filter.
So.... Diva?

Or any softsynth that can imitate standard subtractive synthesis with a 24db LPF.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
Massive can do a pretty good job (I assume you mean Komplete Ultimate, not Kontakt). Add a sine shaper in to the insert slot after the filter (you only need one in series), with the filter on Acid, and something like the Brauner tube on the output FX. Job done, more or less.
Ugh yes that is what I meant.. And thx!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
So.... Diva?

Or any softsynth that can imitate standard subtractive synthesis with a 24db LPF.
Thx!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's one I made earlier in Massive.

I didn't match against the recording but from memory. But it sounded more or less in the ballpark.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BS HH Chameleon.zip (2.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So.... Diva?

So synth plus something like this??

https://www.arturia.com/products/minifilter-v

I'm sooooooooooooo out of my element with regard to synth sounds...

Will any of the Waves' soft synths do this sort of thing? They're having crazy sales
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
Here's one I made earlier in Massive.

I didn't match against the recording but from memory. But it sounded more or less in the ballpark.
Dude! You're a prince.... Thank you

I guess I have lots of stuff in my toolbox already for this sort of work! Does monark do this sort of family of sound too?

I have the soundtoys bundle and that has synth type filters baked in that I've never used...

FilterFreak - Soundtoys

Back in the day I had a korg trinity that did the mono synth thing really well... I just never gravitated to that synth thing. Always more of a b3, wurli, Rhodes and clav guy

Thx again!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I guess I have lots of stuff in my toolbox already for this sort of work! Does monark do this sort of family of sound too?
That family of sounds? Very much so. I haven't tried this sound specifically in Monark but, as Chrisso wrote, it's a Moog-style filter on the Chameleon bass (before ARP was forced to change the filter on the Odyssey). So it should do the job nicely.
Old 1 week ago
Yep, Monark no doubt.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thx again guys. THIS is the reason I love GS!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The original track? Any reason to believe it's not a bog-stock ARP Odyssey Mk I with the standard ARP 2-pole filter?
Old 1 week ago
Not really.
Just the age of the recording, and the sound, plus I had an early 2600 with a Moog copy filter and it sounded exactly the same.
It doesn't really matter in the context of the thread.
You want a resonant LPF - that's the answer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thx!

I've been throwing soundtoys freq filters on the above Massive patch... Awesome sauce

I also purchased the ik multimedia 2600 vi and it's quite good for people like me who need a sound but are mentally reeetawded.. I really like what ik did with this... Especially the fx rack
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search