The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC Laptop Inspiration
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

PC Laptop Inspiration

Hi Folks

I have a PC DAW in my main studio but I need something mobile. I would prefer to stay with the PC platform (I have had Macs since a Powerbook 540C...).

I run Cubase Pro and Live 9.0 and some pretty hungry VSTs like Diva (love it), Omnisphere, Kontaket etc...

Question 1:
Can anyone recommend a decent PC Laptop I have been looking a HP G3/G4, Thinkpads etc...

Question 2:
What interface? I thinking RME or possibly an Apollo.

Question 3:
What's the best way for syncing up projects when on the road, simply get a mobile hard disk?

My budget for Laptop and Interface is £4,000 GBP.

All donations appreciated!

Vantage
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Any Laptop DAW users out there?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvantage View Post
Hi Folks

I have a PC DAW in my main studio but I need something mobile. I would prefer to stay with the PC platform (I have had Macs since a Powerbook 540C...).

I run Cubase Pro and Live 9.0 and some pretty hungry VSTs like Diva (love it), Omnisphere, Kontaket etc...

Question 1:
Can anyone recommend a decent PC Laptop I have been looking a HP G3/G4, Thinkpads etc...
I really can't really help you there much beyond what you already know being stick with Lenovo and HP as a second choice.

Quote:
Question 2:
What interface? I thinking RME or possibly an Apollo.
RME Babyface Pro all the way. The Apollo is nice but outside it's input monitoring for it's own plugins the latency is not as good as RME for Kontakt and other VI's. The Babyface Pro also doesn't require external power making it truly portable.

Quote:
Question 3:
What's the best way for syncing up projects when on the road, simply get a mobile hard disk?
How portable do you wan't to be? I would record internally to folders created or partitioned on an SSD system disk and later transfer them to an external backup drive. I back up everything to an external USB 3 3 tb drive and will buy another soon to mirror that one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Unless you have a lot of time for testing and tweaking (and like that sort of thing), I would absoluely purchase a system customized for DAW work. There are a few guys here that do it. You will probably spend several hundred dollars more but potentially get a (much) higher performing system and save a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

___

I have the Dell XPS 9550 (Skylake) with the Babyface Pro for huge VI use.

- The Babyface Pro was plug and play and the drivers are excellent, just what you would expect from a premium German box. Great performance and no issues. $650.

- The Dell XPS 9550 a lot of time to get latency to good levels (using latencymon). The XPS has the advantage of very small size, nice size and the "higher powered" Intel HQ processors vs the more efficient U processors. Neither of these processors has staggering performance. With the small battery you can run both a nvme & and 2.5 in drive (although the speed of the 2.5 inch bay may be limited to say SATA II but not really sure there). You can use upto 32GB RAM.

- I have seen a few people with the newer Dell XPS 9560 i7 (Kaby Lake) getting superb latencymon results so that might be the better bet. You can do a search at for more details at: Dell XPS and Studio XPS | NotebookReview

Both XPS' have "low power" TB3 ports which impacts some video gaming (due to lower real-world bandwidth altough you wouldn't know that reading the marketing text). I suppose it could impact any very high data transfer from TB. Many laptops have that "feature".

- There are a few laptops that run real desktop processors (MSI-EUROCOM). Single and multicore real-world performance is much better than that of regular laptops. They are big. Popular with extreme gamers but not sure if they are used for music production.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all your thoughts my studio PC was professionally built and I'll probably go the same supplier for the lappy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search