The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New changes to Waves Update Plan (WUP) Plugin Bundles
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

New changes to Waves Update Plan (WUP)

Old 30th March 2007

It seems much more customer friendly now.

Quote:
Waves has put a cap on Update Plan fees. You can re-activate your Waves Update Plan now for $200 or less per bundle, no matter how long your coverage has been inactive.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Updated my diamond bundle & SSL WUP today for $260.
I got L316 & L316LL, they sound excellent and are Low Latency, Phase coherent and now mono or stereo, very nice plugs.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Too little too late.... There are other products that work as well or better for me. I am never going back after how I was treated.

The only good thing I see here is that they would only lower their WUP BS if they were not selling as much. THAT is a positive thing in my eyes, let them suffer for their gouging.....

Sorry for the rant, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

They must have lost a huge amount of users with all this crap... Notice the link to the SOS article?
Old 30th March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Looks like Waves has revised their update plan and made it a little more tolerable.
Good news, I just might WUP up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
They must have lost a huge amount of users with all this crap... Notice the link to the SOS article?
Or maybe their fiscal year ends March 31st. (Like a lot of other companies with headquarters overseas).
Old 30th March 2007
Music CrAZy

Whatever...this time it seems like all the bashing and ranting about Waves' update policy did help in the end! I'm glad to hear that.

Toby
Old 30th March 2007
Gear Guru

I'll never buy Waves. I don't care what their WUP plan is.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm...

Interesting,

A little bit of research into customer services that involves a decent trade off between their excellent and often speedy response to Apples endless OS updates and what customers should pay for that could be good - for everyone.

For example, if you have any of the big bundles (Platinum Diamond Mecury), you should only pay 1 WUP fee per year, even if you then purchase single plugs like IR or L3-16, I dunno' their are endless clever and real ways to get customers back on board.

I Guess Waves felt they needed to respond. The guy that originally turned me onto Waves Plugs has completely stopped using them and about 7 years ago I remember him being a real fan of the plugs. I was shocked becuse he was so disdainful and disparaging about the company, so dismissive - I mean he almost made me feel guilty for owning them.

Seriously, if they could just get the balance right.

As I said - Interesting, we'll see...
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

cool. I've had my SSL plugs for just about a year so I don't think this really effects me. Now lets just get those mercury plugs by themselves because UAD's neve plugs got me thinkin to go that route and that might suck in pt le.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Too little too late.... There are other products that work as well or better for me. I am never going back after how I was treated.
I almost agree.

The phonecall where I was told that in order to get the current update, I needed to pay for 2 past years worth of "support" which I never used was pretty scarring .. Not because $600-whatever dollars was gonna make me homeless, but because I did not even use the supposed service they were charging me for.

I think this is a step in the right direction -- but I honestly think that I'd be less offended by the occasional, reasonable paid compatability update and a "pay for tech support after the first year"-type approach, as that "support" is something I don't think I have ever needed from them in the first place.

Meanwhile, as plugins go, there's still a few in the Platinum bundle that I find useful, but I don't think I'd ever upgrade my bundle or add more of their products.

-dave
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Whatever...this time it seems like all the bashing and ranting about Waves' update policy did help in the end!
I really hope that's true, although one can only ever really guess at the real motives behind corporate decision-making like this. It may be being a bit idealistic to think that by voting with our wallets we wrung these changes out of the bean-counting suits at Waves.

Anyway, like many others here, this is all way too late for me. What with WUP's and iLoks and broken plug-ins and the constant upgrade circus over the years, I wrote off my Waves investment long ago and have moved on (mainly back to hardware actually!).
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Waves wants almost $400 to extend my Gold TDM bundle thru next summer. And I'm sure they will want $400 more the following year. And so on. Time for me to get off the Waves teat and invest in something else. I thought it was a better deal when you could buy WUP coverage for several years at a big discount. Seems they're just going to squeeze us every year now.
Old 30th March 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Hunter, it's a $200 maximum for any bundle. Are they really asking for double from you? Also, you don't have to buy it every year, since the price doesn't move when you're out of date.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Hunter, it's a $200 maximum for any bundle. Are they really asking for double from you? Also, you don't have to buy it every year, since the price doesn't move when you're out of date.
I went to my Waves account and got the pricing I quoted. I believe the $200 reference is the most you'd have to pay in addition to your WUP coverage to restore it if you let it lapse. I am just assuming they won't lower the annual renewal rate next year, and the next...
Old 30th March 2007
Gear Head

Brilliant... You think you're helping out Hunter S Thompson with his Waves upgrade!
heh
Old 31st March 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

The way I'm reading it is that there is a $200 limit even if it is lapsed. So, you don't need to keep up WUP every year. You only need to do it when you need service, or the update. I own platinum that it several years out of date, and it's now $200.

From Waves:
Waves has put a cap on Update Plan fees. You can re-activate your Waves Update Plan now for $200 or less per bundle, no matter how long your coverage has been inactive.

http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=2289

Hud,
Did you check recently?
Old 31st March 2007
Lives for gear

The Plug ins War is back!!
Old 31st March 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, and you died a couple of years ago, so why are you worried about updates?

Old 31st March 2007

I've just bought an HD system and when working out the plug-ins I was going to buy Waves didn't even figure in the shortlist... This was 100% due to the WUP.

Its a shame about the WUP as they have some very useful plugs, but I've covered those requirements with other (mostly superior) plugs from companies with less greedy update strategies...
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Q3

Waves has stated they will support AAX, but not until Q3

RELAAX GUY
Attached Thumbnails
New changes to Waves Update Plan (WUP)-waves-aaxii.jpg  
Old 7th December 2012
[QUOTE=toolskid;1206537
Its a shame about the WUP as they have some very useful plugs, but I've covered those requirements with other (mostly superior) plugs from companies with less greedy update strategies...[/QUOTE]

What companies and plugs?
Old 15th May 2014
Gear interested

Waves goodbye, a propos of nothing, just need to vent a little spleen. i have used waves for a considerable time, purchasing platinum way back when. just updated my OS and find that i have to spend $240 to get my waves to function again. i resent this massively, the waves people say that one expects to pay for upgrading software, well yes, but then upgrades would normally come with some improvement not just being able to function. and, a very big and, waves at the outset is very very expensive. so i am biting the bullet and accepting that all my archive work may be lacking some plug ins but my resentment outweighs this loss, say hello to less greedy software developers.
Old 15th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hz View Post
Waves goodbye, a propos of nothing, just need to vent a little spleen. i have used waves for a considerable time, purchasing platinum way back when. just updated my OS and find that i have to spend $240 to get my waves to function again. i resent this massively, the waves people say that one expects to pay for upgrading software, well yes, but then upgrades would normally come with some improvement not just being able to function. and, a very big and, waves at the outset is very very expensive. so i am biting the bullet and accepting that all my archive work may be lacking some plug ins but my resentment outweighs this loss, say hello to less greedy software developers.
It's better to wait for a sale and then upgrade your bundle. The WUP is included and you get extra plugins. Next time they advertise Horizon or Mercury for 50% off, hit up a dealer and see what kind of price you can get.

Once you fight your way up to Mercury then you'll get more "free stuff" every time you do have to pay the WUP.

And if you do bite the bullet and pay the WUP, bear in mind that whatever you pay is valid for up to 50% off (roughly) more plugins, so you can get some value-added that way.
Old 15th May 2014
Gear interested

case of being WUPped can't afford the $ :(
Old 15th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hz View Post
case of being WUPped can't afford the $ :(
Some dealers can get you a discount on the WUP.
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

What people don't realize is that you end up WUPing with almost every other company as well. Want to use Protools in Mavericks and are on Protools 10? You have to "WUP" to Protools 11. Want to use Komplete 5 in Windows 8? You have to "WUP" to Komplete 9.

And so on, etc.
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Nut
I know this is an old post but Is this still a problem? I see they are always having sales and by spending some time on their site their plugins look great. I've always stayed away from Waves because I remembered this post and others like it..But they are hard to ignore now with those sales ads popping up everywhere lol Are they still shunned by most or have they gotten any better with their WUP and customer service/satisfaction ?!?
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade204 View Post
I know this is an old post but Is this still a problem? I see they are always having sales and by spending some time on their site their plugins look great. I've always stayed away from Waves because I remembered this post and others like it..But they are hard to ignore now with those sales ads popping up everywhere lol Are they still shunned by most or have they gotten any better with their WUP and customer service/satisfaction ?!?
my WUP is up for most plugins .. i cannot afford to keep it current past where i am now .. v9.6 is where i am at .. i assume that when v10 comes out i will need to update WUP .. but i am not clear .. i ONLY hope that i do NOT lose functionality with 9.6 at some point .. like, if you don't pay you cannot play ...

i need to learn more about WUP

cheers john
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
my WUP is up for most plugins .. i cannot afford to keep it current past where i am now .. v9.6 is where i am at .. i assume that when v10 comes out i will need to update WUP .. but i am not clear .. i ONLY hope that i do NOT lose functionality with 9.6 at some point .. like, if you don't pay you cannot play ...

i need to learn more about WUP

cheers john
2007...wow. I hardly can stay current with anything in life. I use waves stuff day in and out. I have for years. I just avoid upgrades. I don't even know what version I'm on. Ignorance is bliss I guess...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search