The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you have windows updates enabled or disabled? DAW Software
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Do you have windows updates enabled or disabled?

Hi Guys!

I was just wondering...
Let's say you have a dedicated PC running only your DAW and Soundstuff on. Nothing else. You don't even browse or anything. Just your DAW. Really stripped down to just fulfill the audio purposes.

I suppose lots of you have such a 'dedicated' machine.
Once your system and Daw run stable - do you still regularely do windows updates, or do you leave the updates deactivated, à la "never change a running system" ?

Thanks in advance for replying and greetings,
Elm.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Maniac

Automatic Windows Update (Win7) constantly runs in the background which can cause system freezes at any time, even on a dedicated machine.

Update manually is safer (say every two weeks/month for security updates), check if the update does not destabilise your system, if it does you can roll back by the uninstalling the new update.

I've only been using a secondary system with Win7 for a few months (Mac user) but this seems to do quite nice.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I have Windows Update Ato enabled on a Windows 1p PC. It is connected to the internet unless I am playing Live. No problems so far.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear
I have updates on. I don't worry about this stuff anymore.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

windows updates disabled, all other programs (like adobe) are disabled too, and no anti-virus. I don't connect it to the internet either.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Dedicated studio machine for Pro Tools, Windows update off as well as all other software auto updates disabled, no antivirus, only connect to the internet to do manual updates.
Editing systems (3) are on-line but updates are still done manually and selectively. All rigs have clones of the system drive as spares plus regular drive images are also done.
If some update screws things up or a drive fails, any rig can be back up and running in minutes. Drives are cheap...
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Win7 automatic updates enabled, never caused any issues here. As I use this machine to access the internet all the time I'd rather be fully up to date as well.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict
Update erased a .dll file that was necessary to show a certain vst plugin, a lot of head scratching. Just before I was going to tear the ears off the vendor I remembered it had updated, checked it out. Boom.
Always have a fresh mirror of your system ready.
Mostly offline. Virus checker when on.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search