The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VSTS Won't Load In Host DAW!!!! DAW Software
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

VSTS Won't Load In Host DAW!!!!

I've downloaded and installed some free VST plugs that seem to work on one machine but not the other, both running the same host app. Among several other plugins that have this problem is Sleepytime DSP's Mono Channel and Stereo Channel. For the time being, I'll just talk about Stereo Channel.

I have a Win 7 laptop and a Win XP desktop both running Adobe Audition 3.0. When I install Stereo Channel on the Win 7 laptop, AA3 adds it to the VST effects list after I select it from the VST manager and I can select the plugin and run it just fine. However, when I install Stereo Channel on the Win XP machine and select from the VST manager within AA3, AA3 does not add Stereo Channel to the VST list, furthermore, it won't load in Nuendo either. I just updated the Win XP to Service Pack 3 and installed 32 bit VC++ Distributables, 2005, 2008, and 2015 hoping that would solve the issue but no dice.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Last edited by kvmoore; 3rd August 2017 at 11:55 AM..
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 4th August 2017
Not compatible with XP? Refresh VSTi list in Nuendo?
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Not compatible with XP? Refresh VSTi list in Nuendo?
Thanks for your response.

According to the system requirements on the website where I downloaded Stereo Channel, it supposedly supports Win XP.

In both Adobe Audition 3 and Nuendo 3 (similar to Cubase SX3), I did a refresh but the results remain the same. One thing I should mention though is in Nuendo, there's a 'Plugin Information' dialog box that shows you all of the plugins you have installed on the system. There's also a check box called "Show Unloadables." I have that box checked and it shows me a list in dark brown of all of the VST plugins the application was unable to load. Stereo Channel is one of them.

So basically, the applications know the plugin exists. They just fail to load it.

Last edited by kvmoore; 4th August 2017 at 06:07 AM..
Old 4th August 2017
Times when I've had trouble loading VSTi's in Cubase, moving the dll of the VSTi to the proper folder (a folder that actually works) solved it for me. I would simply copy & paste from the folder that it had installed in, to another folder, refresh my VSTi's in Cubase, then try to open it. If that folder didn't work, I'd delete the copy and try another, refresh and try again. Eventually if that worked, deleting the dll in the originally installed folder. This basically amounts to playing dll Bingo, but it's worked for me many times. Worth a try if you haven't tried already.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Are the hosts on both computers the same as in 32 bit version?
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Are the hosts on both computers the same as in 32 bit version?
I was just going to say something similar. I'm guessing his host DAW's are 64 bit and the freeware plugins are 32 bit. I think Steinberg stuff has a separate folder for 32 bit plugs, but I'm not positive about that.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yes. Everything is 32 bit as far as DAW software and plugins on both machines. Now the Win 7 OS is 64 bit and the Win XP OS is 32 bit but the DAW and plugs are all 32bit.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

EDIT: Not that then!

Quote:
SleepyTime do both 32 and 64bit versions so it's more a question of whether they installed the one that matches the hosts.
A possibly decade old XP install could easily be 32 bit.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

I really don't mean this to sound rude or dismissive....

I'm having a hard time contemplating why you would expect a 16 year old OS that hasn't been touched in 9 years, to be able to run a recently coded plugin in a host that is 11 years old.

There is no logic to it.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post

I'm having a hard time contemplating why you would expect a 16 year old OS that hasn't been touched in 9 years, to be able to run a recently coded plugin in a host that is 11 years old.

There is no logic to it.
XP still runs most 32 bit VST plugins just fine. A friend of mine still uses it as well as some people on this forum. The main plugin he's referring to was coded in 2012 so I doubt that's the problem but he was also mentioning other freeware he was having the same problem with. So to me that sounds more like a problem with the host than anything else.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Yes. Everything is 32 bit as far as DAW software and plugins on both machines. Now the Win 7 OS is 64 bit and the Win XP OS is 32 bit but the DAW and plugs are all 32bit.
Are you sure, because after checking I noticed the Sleepytime plugins have been updated to 64 bit. Make sure you downloaded the right versions.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Are you sure, because after checking I noticed the Sleepytime plugins have been updated to 64 bit. Make sure you downloaded the right versions.
I'm pretty sure it's 32 but I'll double check tonight as soon as I get to my PC.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

I just checked and yes, they are 32bit. I downloaded the 64 bit version of the plugin also, but the 32 bit version is what is installed on both machines.

------UPDATE-------

I went back to try to find t h e system requirements for this plugin and what OS is supported but could not find that info. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere where XP is supported but now, I believe where I read that is on the Meldaproduction website where they do state Windows XP and they do in fact work on XP.

The Sleepytime DSP plugs are no longer supported but I just read somewhere where they as supported on 32 bit OS And 64 bit OS but nowhere does it specifically mention Win XP.

So now based on this info (or lack of), my assumption is maybe the Sleepytime plugins are not compatible with XP.

Last edited by kvmoore; 5th August 2017 at 06:34 AM..
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post

There is no logic to it.
Actually I thought this plugin supported XP at first, but I might be wrong here.

Believe me, I would like to upgrade/replace all of my old computers with Intel i7s or better, all running a newer version of Windows an a newer DAW application. However, lack of funds prevent me from doing so at the moment. As a result, I'm trying to make the best of these 13 year-old single-core processor machines (Windows 7 laptop excluded. It has a 2011-era Intel i5 machine). I can't use my i5 Win 7 laptop as main studio DAW because the DAW (which is a desktop) has a internal PCI card that interfaces with a Roland digital mixer (Roland RPC1 card + VM3100 Pro mixer), which means I can't use the soundcard/audio interface with a laptop.

Just trying to make the best out of what I have available until I can afford to upgrade my setup if you know what I mean. It looks like all I can do at this point as far as new plugins is to just try them out and hope they will be compatible with my setup. If not, then I just keep them on reserve until I finally do get a chance to upgrade.

Thanks everyone.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search