The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need New Interface/Converters. Help Plz Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Need New Interface/Converters. Help Plz

I currently have a Mytek stereo 192 ADC, Benchmark Dac 1 and a Audiofire 8 interface to connect everything to my PC and Mac. My problem is that, its kind of annoying having 3 separate devises, specially when traveling.

Is there any Interface/Conveter that would be as good or better in just one single unit?. I only really need 2 channels in and out. My budget is under 2k, I also run both a PC and Mac.

I was thinking about an Apollo, but from what I hear, it will be a downgrade in conveters from what I have. Is this true?
There is also the Symphony, which is a bit out of budget and only works with Macs.
This is sooo hard

Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Maniac

I would consider Prism Lyra
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

another vote for PRISM here
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Addict

There are several 2-in 2(or 4)-out interfaces that may meet your requirements, including the Prism Lyra or Lyra 2, the Antelope Pure2, the Lynx Hilo, and the RME ADI2-Pro. From a driver stability point of view I would trust RME the most.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Ok, I might bite the bullet on a Prism lyra 1. How does it compare to the Hilo or a symphony?. also, I will be tracking alot of vocals with it, and need to live monitor the singer. I keep reading that you cant really live monitor someone correctly with lets say a reverb plugin because of latency.
Can anyone chime in on this please.

Last edited by etrella; 5th August 2017 at 12:19 AM..
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear
Prism products are not known for low latency drivers and neither are Antelope products but Antelope has quality effects that run off an FPGA chip that you can monitor direct with in zero latency mode and you won't have to worry about converter quality. The Antelope Zen Tour runs about $1,500 and if that's not enough i/o there is the Orion. Can't tell you about Lynx other than I heard they had good low latency drivers.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

HI,
If you want stable low latency drivers, proper cross platform driver support and excellent tech support and you want it to be under $2k. That eliminates Antelope Prism on all counts. Lynx will not have anything under 2 that would do what you want. The RME Fireface UFX II or Fireface 802, MOTU 1248 would all be 2k or under.
The Apollo 8 would only work if your PC laptop or desktops had windows 10 and compatible Thunderbolt ports.

The RME and MOTU will be USB 2.0/USB 3.0 and have lower latency driver than Antelope, Prism, UAD and the Lynx USB and firewire interface.

Chris
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
HI,
If you want stable low latency drivers, proper cross platform driver support and excellent tech support and you want it to be under $2k. That eliminates Antelope Prism on all counts.
Chris
He wanted low latency for for reverb and effects on tracking vocals, he didn't mention softsynths or the like unless I missed it. He mentioned UAD's Apollo for that purpose but thought the converters would be a downgrade from what he had. While I agree that Antelope does not have low latency drivers it does have quality effects that he can monitor directly in zero latency mode via the FPGA chip and has better converters than the Apollo. Also the Zen Tour is under 2K and cross platform.
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
He wanted low latency for for reverb and effects on tracking vocals, he didn't mention softsynths or the like unless I missed it. He mentioned UAD's Apollo for that purpose but thought the converters would be a downgrade from what he had. While I agree that Antelope does not have low latency drivers it does have quality effects that he can monitor directly in zero latency mode via the FPGA chip and has better converters than the Apollo. Also the Zen Tour is under 2K and cross platform.
HI,
At this point to me with anything Antelope is if is will work reliably driver wise on current Windows desktop or laptop. Even when computer is lucky enough to have a compatible USB chipset it will not perform as well as the RME, MOTU or UAD.
If he is fine with the latency and will only ever used the on board DSP and never try and track live audio inputs with software effects and not use virtual instruments and is fine with less analog I/O than his original setup then yeah the Antelope Zen Tour would be fine.

The MOTU, RME and Antelope all would be cross grades from fro the Mytek and Benchmark. The will all be close enough or better.

Chris
Old 6th August 2017
Deleted User
RME Totalmix FX is amazing.

RME = stability and super low latency.

The new UFX boxes are great.

What year is your DAC 1?

I had a pre-USB model and found it a bit harsh in the high freqs.

Audiofire do indeed sound great but the RME does too.

Prism makes beautiful sounding machines. I'd be figuring out how to make one of their machines work first. If you just can't make it work, check out the RME.

Buy from a company that lets you do returns and monthly payments. Throw it on your card and try it out. Get both for that matter and try them out.

I had 3 $1000 preamps in the studio on test for a total of $500 on the card. Sent all three back and bought the one I liked cash discount.

Old 6th August 2017
If you want a portable rig for tracking with fx the new Appollo Twin mk II is the obvious choice.
Old 6th August 2017
Babyface pro has lots of expandability in the studio .. and then unplug and take it on the road.
Great drivers
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses guys. Sound quality is very important to me, and from what I've seen, it seems that the Apollo, most RME, Motu etc will be a downgrade on converters from my Mytek and Benchmark.
I have narrow it down to 4 choice

Prism Lyra 1 (Still have doubts on Latency and software)
Antelope pure2
Lynx Hilo (might stretch the budget)
RME ADI-Pro
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Sound quality is very important to me, and from what I've seen, it seems that the Apollo, most RME, Motu etc will be a downgrade on converters from my Mytek and Benchmark.
I have narrow it down to 4 choice

Prism Lyra 1 (Still have doubts on Latency and software)
Antelope pure2
Lynx Hilo (might stretch the budget)
RME ADI-Pro
Those are the 4 that I suggested earlier in this thread, and the 4 that I'm also looking at.

I have no experience with Prism or Antelope, but I've seen enough complaints about their drivers and software that I have doubts about both. Again, no experience, so the complaints may be due to user error.

I had a Lynx Hilo a couple of years ago, and I had regular BSOD's. Unfortunately, I became very ill and couldn't try to resolve the issues with Lynx tech support before my 30 day trial was up. Again, this could have been user error on my part.

I've used various RME interfaces for many years without a problem. Again, it might have been user error, maybe I accidentally did something right.

So out of these choices, I'm heavily leaning towards the RME ADI-2 Pro. If you decide on one of the others, you can always get an RME interface and connect the Prism or Antelope or Lynx using AES/EBU or SPDIF.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Just an update guys. So I went and bought an Apollo Twin mkii. I originally got it to just test it out and then get something else, for $700 why not?, but I must say this baby aint going nowhere. This thing is awesome!. First of all, I must say that I am incredibly shocked at how good the conversion in this thing is, specially the AD, it is every bit as good and/or subjectively better than my Mytek. This kinda makes make sad and happy, considering how much I spent on the Mytek. It makes me wonder, has technology really come this far? I mean the Apollo is only 700 freaking bucks with a bunch of other things and the Mytek $1200 just of conversion, cant wrap my head around it, but I trust my ears. Secondly, tracking at zero latency with effects is absolutely amazing!! Now that I have it, I dont know how I managed without it, and finally I am new to UAD plugins, but these things sound sooo good, I feel like I might have to buy a Satellite now for more power. The only downside is that I really wished the unit had an optical output. All in all, great little Unit. I am now considering selling both the Mytek and Benchmark. I might keep the Mytek for more inputs, but will definitely will be selling the Benchmark, in case anyone is interested, its the non usb version.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search