The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Millenia TCL-2 plugin, worth it ? Why ? Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Millenia TCL-2 plugin, worth it ? Why ?

My question could sounds a bit stupid, but anyway :

I don't understand the point of emulating an hardware that is supposed to sound really transparent (and do sounds really transparent). What is the point of that ?

I mean, for "transparent" comp we have a lot more cheaper option : Waves Rcomp (my favorite for that), stock compressor (Avid one is okay for that) etc... And some of them are pretty aliasing free.

Also do you guys use this plugin ? Why ?

At least I understood the point of the Millenia EQ plugin as I found it to sounds really good (not owning it anyway). And the sound of the Vertigo also (don't own it too, but they got it at the studio where I'm working).

Cheers .
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
My question could sounds a bit stupid, but anyway :

I don't understand the point of emulating an hardware that is supposed to sound really transparent (and do sounds really transparent). What is the point of that ?

I mean, for "transparent" comp we have a lot more cheaper option : Waves Rcomp (my favorite for that), stock compressor (Avid one is okay for that) etc... And some of them are pretty aliasing free.

Also do you guys use this plugin ? Why ?

At least I understood the point of the Millenia EQ plugin as I found it to sounds really good (not owning it anyway). And the sound of the Vertigo also (don't own it too, but they got it at the studio where I'm working).

Cheers .
In the P.A. line, I don`t think that one is worth it. So many great compressors out there for much cheaper. The only 1 plugin from P.A. that is TOTALLY worth it is the VSM-3. The equivalents of the rest can be found all over the place.
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
In the P.A. line, I don`t think that one is worth it. So many great compressors out there for much cheaper. The only 1 plugin from P.A. that is TOTALLY worth it is the VSM-3. The equivalents of the rest can be found all over the place.
Yep I don't understand this philosophy of emulating clean hardware comp. Since we have brand such as Fab-Filter that are doing awesome clean digital plugins.
VSM-3 seems to be nice, but I couldn't find a proper way to use it.

Do you know other place where there are the Vertigo compressor ? Or the Lindell 354E ? Elysia stuff ? Passeq seems nice and Vitalizer is pretty unique. Anyway that's not the point of the subject here .

I only own the Bx_console and pretty happy with.
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Transparent in this instance is NOT digitally clean..... Just saying.

It is a GREAT plugin, with one J-Fet/solid state and one tube path and M/S capabilities. Analog clean, warm and focused. That's why

From PA: For the producer/mixer/engineer, the TCL-2 can be used for everything from ultra transparent peak control to some pretty crazy, stomped on and pumping compression effects. Mastering Engineers will love the precise control of compression parameters, the M/S processing capabilities and, above all, the stellar sonics.

Pick it up at their next sale is my advice
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Transparent in this instance is NOT digitally clean..... Just saying.

It is a GREAT plugin, with one J-Fet/solid state and one tube path and M/S capabilities. Analog clean, warm and focused. That's why

From PA: For the producer/mixer/engineer, the TCL-2 can be used for everything from ultra transparent peak control to some pretty crazy, stomped on and pumping compression effects. Mastering Engineers will love the precise control of compression parameters, the M/S processing capabilities and, above all, the stellar sonics.

Pick it up at their next sale is my advice
Yep you're right, transparent and digitally clean is not the same thing, my mistake I get confused here.

Ha good to have one user here !

Yes it's has M/S capabilities. Analog clean, warm and focused. Well what makes it better than an Rcomp for example (soundwise not features wise) ?
Old 2nd August 2017
Gear Nut

I just purchased it and the vertigo. My first impression is I like the tlc-2 on the vox and 2buss. At least on the one song I am presently working on. A simple acoustic/bass/piano/snare-kick arrangment It adds Just enough gloss to my ears which means a tiny bit.. Very classy sounding and definitly glues this particular mix very nicely. I am very happy with it.

I also have The glue, waves 2500, mjuc, Tokyo Labs.
Eric
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
I just purchased it and the vertigo. My first impression is I like the tlc-2 on the vox and 2buss. At least on the one song I am presently working on. A simple acoustic/bass/piano/snare-kick arrangment It adds Just enough gloss to my ears which means a tiny bit.. Very classy sounding and definitly glues this particular mix very nicely. I am very happy with it.

Eric
Alright, you should check the SK Note SDC, it adds that slight "gloss" also. I would be interested into a comparison (even if they are not emulating the same unit at all).
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Yep I don't understand this philosophy of emulating clean hardware comp. Since we have brand such as Fab-Filter that are doing awesome clean digital plugins.
VSM-3 seems to be nice, but I couldn't find a proper way to use it.

Do you know other place where there are the Vertigo compressor ? Or the Lindell 354E ? Elysia stuff ? Passeq seems nice and Vitalizer is pretty unique. Anyway that's not the point of the subject here .

I only own the Bx_console and pretty happy with.
Just whatever UAD has, but that costs even more. I`m sure they are great plugins. I KNOW they are because I just can`t hardly live without the VSM-3, so I`m sure the others are great. Not sure they`re going to have a better EQ than a Fab Filter Pro Q2 for the price, though, for example. I drool over the P.A. stuff, don`t get me wrong, but around $300 a plug is hard to swallow more than once or twice. They`re SO expensive, they offer payment plans(which is nice of them, I guess).I just have not been able to find a replacement for the VSM-3. I tried some stuff...no. If it`s not there, something is missing. Once you learn it, there is no going back.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post

Eric
I have the 2500. I`ve been brave enough to hardware compress going in, and anyone can be, once you know your limits. But if something needs a little extra, I use the Waves 2500. Great choice.
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just whatever UAD has, but that costs even more. I`m sure they are great plugins. I KNOW they are because I just can`t hardly live without the VSM-3, so I`m sure the others are great. Not sure they`re going to have a better EQ than a Fab Filter Pro Q2 for the price, though, for example. I drool over the P.A. stuff, don`t get me wrong, but around $300 a plug is hard to swallow more than once or twice. They`re SO expensive, they offer payment plans(which is nice of them, I guess).I just have not been able to find a replacement for the VSM-3. I tried some stuff...no. If it`s not there, something is missing. Once you learn it, there is no going back.
I was surprised of how much great sales and vouchers you get from PA once you are a customer......

I started with the Bx_Opto at a sale....... and after that I have never paid full price for any PA plugin (and many very cheap - sale + vouchers).
Now I have 20+ PA plugins, and have had vouchers from $15 to $75 (all used on excisting sales for an even greater price)....

So in effect, I have not yet paid full price for any PA plugin. GREAT customer program, maybe the best out there
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha okay I get it
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
I was surprised of how much great sales and vouchers you get from PA once you are a customer...
(...)
So in effect, I have not yet paid full price for any PA plugin. GREAT customer program, maybe the best out there
One of the best without any doubt.
And so is their customers service.
Never impressed so much with the Millennia
comp. I like their Eq a lot more, but in the end I prefer others plugs for these purposes. PA plugs are upon the best out there and maybe a little OT here, but the new SSL console emulation is gorgeous!
The comp(s) are far better than the Millennia and at the same price you'll get a 72 channel console. Take a look...
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I don't use it as a compressor 99% of the time. Just running tracks through it will add either some air and texture (JFET) or round off some of the top-end and add a little glue (Tube). This is most effective on busses.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Guru
I also use the Vertigo VSC2 compressor a lot. Not sure if considered clean, but very useful. VSM3 and my Kush stuff are my real sound shapers. I'm totally into "set and forget", as my mastering guy makes my stuff sound like I want with a reference mix.
Old 3rd August 2017
Never quite "clicked" with the TCL-2, I found its action to be a bit weird and I could never dial settings that were satisfactory to my ears. Could be me and/or the program material of course, but for "clean" 2bus comp I'm always reaching for Pro-C and it rarely disappoints.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was surprised of how much great sales and vouchers you get from PA once you are a customer......

I started with the Bx_Opto at a sale....... and after that I have never paid full price for any PA plugin (and many very cheap - sale + vouchers).
Now I have 20+ PA plugins, and have had vouchers from $15 to $75 (all used on excisting sales for an even greater price)....

Good to know, I`ll check it out. I just defiantly don`t want to be paying $300 again for 1 plugin( it was totally worth it), so a discount would be awesome and something I could deal with.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I don't use it as a compressor 99% of the time. Just running tracks through it will add either some air and texture (JFET) or round off some of the top-end and add a little glue (Tube). This is most effective on busses.
Interesting, would be interested to look at the harmonics and induced EQ into this unit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search