The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ryzen Threadripper
Old 6th January 2019
  #481
My Ryzen processor finaly strutting its stuff after updating to Win 10 1809 has blocked the remote malware computer from hitting it with the buffer underrun inducing process that has troubled me. (?)

I keep a rainmeter for CPU percent on my desktop and with my most taxing audio work my 1700 Ryzen never really goes above 20%. Unless I were to attempt to run GPU intensive thing such as video recording, which I never do as I use the previous i7 gaming notebook for that across a gigabit switch.
Old 11th January 2019
  #482
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Gigabyte Titan Ridge working in Threadripper
Thunderbolt 3 AMD Threadripper 1950X + RTX [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 1803 [theitsage] – Build Guides – External Graphics Card Forum

Threadripper on x399 designare thunderbolt 3 - Build a PC - Level1Techs Forums
Elvistitus 2018-10-03 18:07:41 UTC #10
However even though I do get the Titan Ridge tb3 controller with the tb3 firmware already flashed
would it be enough to get tb3 working on the designare ex 399 with the 2950x ? Im trying to get a
TB3 audio interface (Apollo x8 from Universal Audio ) to work with this setup.

Elvistitus 2018-10-12 15:43:29 UTC #17
Ok guys finally here’s an update … it works !! As Wendell and gpio mentions the titan ridge thunderbolt card
with the threadripper 2950x and a gigabyte x399 mobo works !
I had to power the titan ridge cards with two 6pin pcie power lines from my psu and also connected the
thb_c header to the mobo. I had to install the thunderbolt drivers for windows 10 and it works as expected !
Old 27th January 2019
  #485
Gear Addict
 

This is a great thread, thanks everyone.
I am soon to buy a new machine myself, looks like i'll be moving over to windows. Seems to make more sense these days. plus i can get a computer put together by someone who actually knows what they are doing in this area.

I have been chasing the dream of being able to write/compose/arrange/mix in the same session. After reading this thread, that kind of seems like a naive idea/approach.
Am i better off just having a simple startup template with just synths and minimal plugs, then render and mix with higher latency?

Or is it really possible (with the latest processors) to do full projects (runnings synths/plugs/groups/mixbuss plugs at the same time?

I know its kind of an insane question, because firstly...which plugs? which synths? what latency?

I suppose it would be good to know from people having success doing this.
Noob question i know...i have actually been mixing quite a while, but nowadays im programming a lot too and using synths a lot. Still refining the workflow.
Cheers all!
Old 28th January 2019
  #486
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
This is a great thread, thanks everyone.
I am soon to buy a new machine myself, looks like i'll be moving over to windows. Seems to make more sense these days. plus i can get a computer put together by someone who actually knows what they are doing in this area.

I have been chasing the dream of being able to write/compose/arrange/mix in the same session. After reading this thread, that kind of seems like a naive idea/approach.
Am i better off just having a simple startup template with just synths and minimal plugs, then render and mix with higher latency?

Or is it really possible (with the latest processors) to do full projects (runnings synths/plugs/groups/mixbuss plugs at the same time?

I know its kind of an insane question, because firstly...which plugs? which synths? what latency?

I suppose it would be good to know from people having success doing this.
Noob question i know...i have actually been mixing quite a while, but nowadays im programming a lot too and using synths a lot. Still refining the workflow.
Cheers all!
what are you talking about doing? Real time stuff? I don't see why you can't do anything else if you can do real time. Of course as the comment above states it depends on Windows and their scheduling designed to make Xeons work. This is probably the update I keep having to uninstall.

I keep having to uninstall the latest Windows "Patch Tuesday" update or I go right back to the apparent buffer problem where static takes over my ASUS GL702ZC until I restart Interface (individual basis) and DAW/DAWs.
Old 28th January 2019
  #487
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
This is a great thread, thanks everyone.
I am soon to buy a new machine myself, looks like i'll be moving over to windows. Seems to make more sense these days. plus i can get a computer put together by someone who actually knows what they are doing in this area.

I have been chasing the dream of being able to write/compose/arrange/mix in the same session. After reading this thread, that kind of seems like a naive idea/approach.
Am i better off just having a simple startup template with just synths and minimal plugs, then render and mix with higher latency?

Or is it really possible (with the latest processors) to do full projects (runnings synths/plugs/groups/mixbuss plugs at the same time?

I know its kind of an insane question, because firstly...which plugs? which synths? what latency?

I suppose it would be good to know from people having success doing this.
Noob question i know...i have actually been mixing quite a while, but nowadays im programming a lot too and using synths a lot. Still refining the workflow.
Cheers all!
That is all possible, it depends on project size and the plugins used how much CPU performance you need.
Also, it depends on your workflow whether all at once is viable.
Most people prefer to arrange, record and then mix, especially with large sessions. Maybe not because of power, but rather of mixing basically being "giving space to every instrument". Which is hard to do when many instruments aren't even recorded yet.
Old 28th January 2019
  #488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindedzluney View Post
Of course as the comment above states it depends on Windows and their scheduling designed to make Xeons work. This is probably the update I keep having to uninstall.
You don't need to do anything to make Xeons work. They work. And dual Xeons work as well, but as memory calls work different there may be a smaller or larger penalty to the actual performance, i.e. compared to a single identical CPU, the performance lies somewhere between 125% and 200%, depending on the software and plugins used.
Current dual Xeons like the Purley/Scalable Family chips are a no go price/performance wise.
Old 28th January 2019
  #489
a Ryzen version of the scheduler issue, somewhat older article I found:

AMD Ryzen Performance Possibly Inhibited by Windows 10 Scheduler | Digital Trends

I didnt own a Ryzen computer till many months after the Spectre and Meltdown problems. Not realy familiar with these sorts of problems. I am having a probl with it though. Honestly cant figure out if my computer is a threadripper though now I see that the threadrippers are indeed Ryzen. Or some sources id them that way.

Wouldnt know whether the computers share the multi chicklet Die and NUMA classifications.
Old 28th January 2019
  #490
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
That is all possible, it depends on project size and the plugins used how much CPU performance you need.
Also, it depends on your workflow whether all at once is viable.
Most people prefer to arrange, record and then mix, especially with large sessions. Maybe not because of power, but rather of mixing basically being "giving space to every instrument". Which is hard to do when many instruments aren't even recorded yet.
Apologies, i should have mentioned - what i am doing at the moment is purely electronic (except for vocal)
I was used to doing it in the way that you describe.
But now i am using high end VA synths etc...been trying to build the track as i go. Start automating right away and just building the track in one stroke, as it were.

If i can get this workflow to work i will be so happy. Theres an amazing continuity when you dont have to stop and bounce a bunch of stuff.

I have a couple analog synths too (which takes the load off the computer a bit) but other than that its all in the box
Cheers!!
Old 29th January 2019
  #491
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Apologies, i should have mentioned - what i am doing at the moment is purely electronic (except for vocal)
I was used to doing it in the way that you describe.
But now i am using high end VA synths etc...been trying to build the track as i go. Start automating right away and just building the track in one stroke, as it were.

If i can get this workflow to work i will be so happy. Theres an amazing continuity when you dont have to stop and bounce a bunch of stuff.

I have a couple analog synths too (which takes the load off the computer a bit) but other than that its all in the box
Cheers!!
It works. Seems to work better when Windows isn't updating. I have had to uninstall the same crap update (since New Years) from Windows 2 times. My theory is that the update is doing something related to that above post I quoted in my previous post, the post by Lesha in which the differences in the Windows treatment of the update for Intel and ahem sort of against Ryzen processor configuration. After the update was uninstalled once again am having no trouble with my AMD running laptop and static which would crop up very suddenly and completely take out an audio interface's engine causing the mandatory power cycle of the interface.

Anyways, power cycling the interface is no biggie, I tend to play the same tune a little long anyways. Ok it's kinda a biggy. It's a real SOB. My livestreams prove this thing you describe is very possible. I am somewhat ahead of the pack of other people who are presently putting out things on the internet. Depending on what you see as important. There are a lot of people who spend a great deal of time carefully constructing 4/4 beats that will play exactly as planned so they can either sell them to hip harp recording artists...or whatever.
However I have taken it a different direction I play music like the guy with the bass drum strapped to his back. Or like the little dj girls (but without the abundant cuteness) It is my opinion this is what you are describing. Including bass, guitar, vocals, 2 actual synths (both Yamaha Refaces) and 4 additional MIDI controllers running from 1 to 3 each of (usual amounts) different virtual instruments. Today's stream was actually a pretty good example. About 1 hour and 25 minutes long according to the Twitch Readout. American Midnight on Twitch: Twitch. I run lots of stuff but lately not much as far as screenshots. Usually best mixes and song type things are towards the ends of the livestreams.

I find it useless to actually go back and commit tracks, mix them and create single songs...since all this is better live, and livestreams are readily downloadable thru Twitch, Youtube and youtube downloaders, and Periscope and Periscope downloaders. It's not really an industry anymore. The days of making money off your rock and roll tracks are long gone. Now people pretty much just play for tips if they have T!Ts.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump