The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzzing only on my desktop. Microphone Accessories
Old 25th July 2017
Here for the gear

Buzzing only on my desktop.

So I have been a laptop producer for a long time and have rarely had any issues. Recently however, I would like to start producing on the desktop that I built for gaming about a year ago. When I plug my Audio Interface into my desktop however, I notice a lot of buzzing and humming through my studio monitors, and even more noise when I move the mouse or scroll through a webpage. I am using a PreSonus AudioBox with a pair of Mackie MR8 mk2s. I am having a very hard time locating the source of the noise. I don't have any noise at all when using my Laptop, and when plugged into my desktop the noise only comes through my monitors, and not the headphones that are also plugged into the AudioBox. I read in a forum of someone having a slightly similar issue and fixing it with a hum destroyer between their interface and monitors. Do you think that would do the trick? It has more noise than just a hum like a ground loop would. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear
To start troubleshooting with the most basic causes of hum, make sure that all the elements of your DAW to monitor chain are plugged into the same power strip. It is possible to create hum problems if there are two AC power sources interconnected by audio lines. The disagreement seems to be between your interface and monitors, so those are the two elements that are suspect. If the powering is the same, check that the cables you are using are perfectly OK, including whether the ground leg of the cable shields are or are not connected to chassis grounds. Cables are wired in various ways in that regard. Your idea of using a hum eliminator is usually effective. My only caution in that regard is that you are usually introducing a passive circuit with an audio transformer. Transformers may change the audio a bit, so don't go too cheap with your choice of hum killers.
Old 4th August 2017
Here for the gear

To anyone who has a similar problem, the problem was solved simply by replacing the cables between my interface and monitors with balanced ones
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search