The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio cheapest route Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Universal Audio cheapest route

Hi!

What is the cheapest route for Windows to access UA plugins at the moment.

Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB Duo is about $899 so $900 at the moment. Is that the cheapest way to go?

Thank You for your replies!
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Or for the same price (around 900€) you can have UAD2 Octo PCIe or Satellite (USB or Thunderbolt) with UAD Apollo you can track with UAD plugins but just one DSP for one channel, and with The Octo you have much more power but only for mixing in your DAW.
Old 23rd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Thank You for your reply! An other question:

Can You use what ever interface when you are using UAD2 Octo PCIe or Satellite (USB or Thunderbolt)? Or are they tide to Apollo?
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear
You can use whatever interface you want. Check Reverb or Ebay or right here for used UAD cards.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

I paid well under half of new cost when I purchased my duo and quad UAD Firewire Satellites.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear
A couple of years back I bought a used UAD2 PCIe solo card on Ebay for $125. That doesn't include an audio interface of course, nor can it do real time FX without latency while monitoring. It works great for mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite View Post
Hi!

Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB Duo is about $899 so $900 at the moment. Is that the cheapest way to go?

Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
A couple of years back I bought a used UAD2 PCIe solo card on Ebay for $125. That doesn't include an audio interface of course, nor can it do real time FX without latency while monitoring. It works great for mixing.
thats what i use and its brilliant.
yes it doesnt have audio inputs but it can do realtime fx with usuable latency sure it isnt zero but depending on what uad plugin your using and youve got a fast enough pc you shouldnt have too big of a problem using it.

i bought mine for under £200 and it came with a load of plugins and you get a voucher to spend on the store plus i got another free plugin from uad for regostering my card.

the only downside too it is the ammount of uad plugins you can use at any given time but that depends on your producting style and genre of music.for me its perfect i use the reverb/delay plugins as fx sends and use the compressors and eqs on bus channels and if my uad card starts to struggle ill just render the problem channel as audio and unload the overloading plugin.

..if your new to using uad plugins the pcie card is definatelly a great way too start and if you like them and you get addicted (which you will )you can buy more pcie cards or buy one of the external cards too use on top of the pcie card.

for me im more than happy with what ive got but i can see myself buying an appollo sometime in the future not because im running out with what i have but it will future proof my set up just in case i record more and more live gear.
Old 23rd July 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite View Post
Hi!

Lots of good advice here already kite.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to get you the info you need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search