The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favourite Superior Drummer expansion? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

What's your favourite Superior Drummer expansion?

And why?
Old 17th July 2017
Mho
Lives for gear

Indiependent. Sounds great in a pop/folk context.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

Oh cool! I'll need to look at that one. I do alot of metal/rock, and I'm torn between metal foundry and metal machinery!
Old 17th July 2017
I really like the sounds in the Dream Pop EZX, just wish there were more and better patterns included
Old 17th July 2017
Hi. I do mostly metal stuff, and would recommend Metal Foundry
That's what I ended up getting
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut

I love the NY Studios Vol. 2 expansion. Can't live without it. I like to mix and match parts from the different expansions and it gives me a very specific sound that makes me super happy.
First clip is using Hit Factory, second is Allaire with the kick and hats from Hit Factory, one of the rides from Avatar.

https://soundcloud.com/deathbyguitar...x-ultra-helmet

https://soundcloud.com/deathbyguitar...over-tone-test
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
I love the NY Studios Vol. 2 expansion. Can't live without it. I like to mix and match parts from the different expansions and it gives me a very specific sound that makes me super happy.
First clip is using Hit Factory, second is Allaire with the kick and hats from Hit Factory, one of the rides from Avatar.

https://soundcloud.com/deathbyguitar...x-ultra-helmet

https://soundcloud.com/deathbyguitar...over-tone-test
Holy crap that sounds awesome!

Have a few questions :
  • You mix and match stuff by using x-drum right?
  • Do you apply your drum effects in the Superior Drummer mixer, or via your DAW?
  • How do you get your hi-hats to sound so awesome and 'loose sounding' in that second clip?
Old 18th July 2017
Here for the gear

I'm using Superior for metal mostly but I love Progressive Foundry, such a large selection of quality recordings. This track uses Progressive Foundry: https://signs-of-light.bandcamp.com/track/distress
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofie View Post
Holy crap that sounds awesome!

Have a few questions :
  • You mix and match stuff by using x-drum right?
  • Do you apply your drum effects in the Superior Drummer mixer, or via your DAW?
  • How do you get your hi-hats to sound so awesome and 'loose sounding' in that second clip?

Yes, I use X-Drums to bring in the hi hats and kick from Hit Factory into Allaire. I tend to use the effects in my DAW instead of Superior's because Superior's interface is so tiny and workflow-wise it's pretty cramped.

As far as the hi-hats are concerned, are you referring to the open or closed sound being so loose? I used MIDI note 60 to trigger the Open 5 samples and note 46 was assigned to either Closed Edge or Closed tip samples. It's really just the sounds of the hi-hat itself, I guess.

If you need me to elaborate more, shoot me a PM. I could ramble on and on about this crap until it kills me.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Head

I am lead to believe that Progressive Foundry is the most successful seller because I get emails every few weeks announcing a new Toontrack sale and every single time their entire product line is on sale...EXCEPT Progressive Foundry which never seems to go on sale. The only explanation is that is they don't have to discount it because it sells well. I am thinking it is the only one that sells well because they discount literally everything else. Of course I'm just speculating...
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear
I have Indiependant, New York studios vol 2 and 3, and Big Rock Drums EZ expansion (using it in Superior)

They are all amazing. Its a matter of what you're looking for. Vintage? Modern? Huge room? Smaller room? High tuned snares? Etc etc.

I think the included Avatar library still stands as my favorite. I use Slate snares and ambience layered on top. Sometimes the Slate CLA hats.

Hit Factory library (new york vol 2) has a kick drum in it that is just friggin perfection. I use it on everything.
Old 23rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Evil Drums
Old 30th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by craspler View Post
I am lead to believe that Progressive Foundry is the most successful seller because I get emails every few weeks announcing a new Toontrack sale and every single time their entire product line is on sale...EXCEPT Progressive Foundry which never seems to go on sale. The only explanation is that is they don't have to discount it because it sells well. I am thinking it is the only one that sells well because they discount literally everything else. Of course I'm just speculating...
Its not on sale 'cause its their most recent library. They usually don't put those on sale.

Favorite library would be Roots brushes or Indiependent. Love the vintage drums selections in Indiependent. And Roots has the killer recording channels.
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Head

That makes sense, I stand corrected.

What do you mean by "killer recording channels" for roots? How are they different than the other expansion sets?

How about the midi presets--do you have favorites (or find them useful)?
Old 30th July 2017
Quote:
What do you mean by "killer recording channels" for roots? How are they different than the other expansion sets?
From the product page:

'We could mention Blackbird Studio’s stock of 1,400 Microphones, 35 channels of Pultec EQ, 24 channels of Fairchild compression and hundreds of outboard mic/pre channels including Telefunken, Neve, API, RCA and Chandler.'
Old 30th July 2017
Quote:
That makes sense, I stand corrected.

How about the midi presets--do you have favorites (or find them useful)?
I don't use the midi presets on any of the expansions. I usually save my own. Roots has some unique recording channels. The Decca channels are great. The drum trash channel is used a lot.
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Head

Would you mind sharing them?
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

Superior Drummer 3.0 is being released and if I am not mistaken contains several different drumsets instead of just the one standard "Avatar Studios". Were these new "free" kits previously expansion packs?
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

The new kits I would hope, were recorded at the video site with GM.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

I'm not sure what you mean by video site and GM but it sounds like you are saying that these are new samples/recordings and not from the existing expansion packs
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry, there are a few threads about this, but you can see the studio in their recent product announcement thread with a video on page 1 Here
Old 22nd August 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Metal Machine. Gives me that modern metal drum sound instantly.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Indiependent is my absolute favorite. It just sounds great, not over the top. Very natural. Good for most genres.

Metal Foundry is my honorable mention. It does any upbeat high energy rock extremely well. I never used it for Metal music. It always served me well. I sold it a while back when I gave up on SD2. I may want to buy this one again.

Last edited by skiltrip; 16th September 2017 at 05:12 AM..
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear
All the SDX's are terrific. It really just depends on what you need for the song.
Its hard to figure out what you'll like before you buy and use it.
The sounds are fantastic. My favorites are the default Avatar kit, and Indiependant.
Big Rock Drums is a close third place.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Addict

SDX NY VOL 3 - with producer pack N.Y. VOL.3 PRESETS - NEIL DORFSMAN
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Reviving an old thread but I recently got the new Orchestral Percussion SDX to use with Superior Drummer 3. Really liking it and use it to play with a Roland TD30KV kit. The sound played back in my big room with TAD CR1 monitors really lets me hear the subtleties of what they recorded and the ambience mics give a huge sound. (haven't downloaded the surround or height channels yet).

I'm thinking of getting the Roots bundle since it has jazz style drums, which I'm looking for.

Last edited by NYCVAPE; 4 days ago at 10:00 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVAPE View Post
Reviving an old thread but I recently got the new Orchestral Percussion SDX to use with Superior Drummer 3. Really liking it and use it to play with a Roland TD30KV kit. The sound played back in my big room with TAD CR1 monitors really lets me hear the subtleties of what they recorded and the ambience mics give a huge sound. (haven't downloaded the surround or height channels yet).

I'm thinking of getting the Roots bundle since it has jazz style drums, which I'm looking for.
Check out the demos of soon to be released Decades. There’s a great sounding brush kit included. The entire library is very versatile and will cover most genres.
Old 3 days ago
I like the NY Avatar Expansion ... the drums sound more in your face and dry where you can add your own effects to your taste ! sits in the mix like a charm
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVAPE View Post

Honestly, the best jazz kit i have is the 18 inch Ayotte in the stock SD 3 library. Combine that with the brush kit (also in the stock library). Its really a gorgeous sounding library. But yea, looking forward to the decades sdx of course. Gonna be crazy
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
I like the NY Avatar Expansion ... the drums sound more in your face and dry where you can add your own effects to your taste ! sits in the mix like a charm
I think Avatar (NY Studios Vol 1.) is the overall best. Works well for pretty much any genre and has a great modern sound to it. No wonder it was the default for SD2. I like how punchy the drums are and how little processing it needs to sound good.

I love parts of Hit Factory, mainly the kick and hats, but it sounds kinda weird otherwise. The shells don't have that same smack that Allaire and Avatars 1 & 2 have even though it was recorded by the same people. I'd love to see some examples of people bringing this kit to life. The stock presets don't sound that good.

My dream SDX would be a bunch of tight kits like Claustophobic EZX but a bit more rock oriented. Would be perfect for alt-metal like Deftones/Helmet/early-2000's kind of stuff. I know this will never happen but a man can dream.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search