The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ryzen AMD socket AM4 DSP Audio Systems
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

Ryzen AMD socket AM4

Hi,

Another query someone must know the answer to with some certainty!

The new Ryzen CPU's / AM4 motherboards - Will they work [well] with older software such as Cubase VST 5.1 / SX3 / 6 /

Would there be anything preventing this within the actual platform itself and its newness?

Will it play catch-up in a manner of speaking after AMD have had time to tweak it?

An example of this could be one of the lower B350 chipset motherboards with PCI slots using an older PCI card and older software.

There will be some others who are or have been interested in this as the Ryzen are quite powerful CPU's - thanks
Old 17th July 2017
As far as I know you need Windows 10 to operate an Ryzen based system. And that might be a problem for some older software and hardware (compatibility, drivers etc.).
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolutshan View Post
As far as I know you need Windows 10 to operate an Ryzen based system. And that might be a problem for some older software and hardware (compatibility, drivers etc.).
It runs on Win 7 on up. The only driver problems are USB related upon installation which can be tricky depending on the build. Other driver problems are still new like with UAD but other than that people are running Ryzen on Win 7-8.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazz View Post
Will it play catch-up in a manner of speaking after AMD have had time to tweak it?

An example of this could be one of the lower B350 chipset motherboards with PCI slots using an older PCI card and older software.
There's a whole thread on Ryzen chips and the platform.

I wouldn't expect there to be gains from optimizing chips that are already being sold. It'll most likely be modest gains in the 5-10% range due to newer dies ("B2 stepping") which I think may be referred to as Zen+, but I'm not sure it's applicable to audio apps anyway. Then there'll be a Zen 2, but I think that's closer to 2019. So I would buy a Ryzen for what it is capable of doing now and not rely on improvements to come.

Builders have said that the one issue with B350 boards is that they tend to come with power circuitry that doesn't do well in overclocking, but if you're running stock it'll be fine.

The one other thing to remember on B350 boards, as well as others, is how the slots being populated affect each other. On some boards you get two x16-size slots, but if you populate one x1 slot the bandwidth drops on the second x16. This is true I guess mostly on x370, and you have even more limitations from the get-go on B350.

Anyway, I'm almost pulling the trigger on an x370 build, but I want to see how much work I have coming in to see if a Threadripper is warranted.
Old 5th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
It runs on Win 7 on up. The only driver problems are USB related upon installation which can be tricky depending on the build. Other driver problems are still new like with UAD but other than that people are running Ryzen on Win 7-8.
Hi, you mentioned UAD - How does UAD work on Ryzen - Can't be thunderbolt can it? - Because I've not seen it unless I've missed it!

Or unless there is firewire or if you were referring to PCI-e card for UAD
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Last thing I heard is that only the UAD-2 Octo PCIe card is compatible with the Ryzen motherboards. UAD-2 Quad PCIe and below is not.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Last thing I heard is that only the UAD-2 Octo PCIe card is compatible with the Ryzen motherboards. UAD-2 Quad PCIe and below is not.
And UAD Octo is the newer one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search