The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lets talk Serato Sample Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Lets talk Serato Sample

Ive watched a lot of reviews and tutorials on you tube. Ive also seen a lot of producers use this plug-in within Ableton and for the life of me I don't understand why when Ableton sampler pretty much does everything that this plug-in can do.

The only thing I can see that is the advantage is that if you're a "sample producer" this plug-in can quickly tell you the key of the sample which is great and can reduce time of trying to find the key. Or when using multiple samples you can quickly tune each sample to the key you choose. But thats about it unless Im missing something.

Theres a 30 day free trial so Im going to download it and test it out
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah it's not massively different from the functionality Live's Simpler now offers, but for everyone else, and those who want to use it in Maschine, which is probably most people who make sample chop type music, then it's ace. Such a quick workflow so i'm now able to audition tons of stuff much more quickly that I used to and crucially in context. One advantage over Simpler I can see other than auto key/bpm, (which indeed can also help speed up workflow), is, that individual slices can be repitched/tuned, timestretched, reversed, filtered, vol controled and envelope shaped on the app instantly rather than having to export the slices then do it like in Simpler, Steinberg GE, Maschine native sample slicer etc. It's not a huge deal but it's another time saver if you are looking for fast workflow.

However then again, sometimes I like the control of being able to but different effects on different slices which this can't do unlike a slicer than can create slices like the others I mentioned, so it's swings and roundabouts.

There's also the colour coded wave for differentiating bass, mid, high freq chops which can be useful, and I like how that colour is reflected on the apps pads.

The main thing for me though was just how much I enjoyed jamming with it, and how quick it was to get great results from it. I found it preferable to Simpler which I still have and occasionally use, as I do GE and Maschine's native slicer.

Last edited by barryfell; 12th August 2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

hmm need more research
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I played around with it a little bit and I really didn't get it.
I expected something like battery or something where I could drop a 100 drum samples in and make kits layer samples, but it seemed more suitable for slicing/regular old sampling.
I was thinking it would do both.
It only made sense to me that if you were making a new sampler you would do both. I guess not .

Unless I missed something. I didn't play around with it too much because some of the navigation didn't feel intuitive for me and I was disappointed I couldn't easily drop a slew of drum samples in and make kits.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I find the pitch and time algorithm to be far superior. Beat detection is far superior. Multi-Daw compatibility is a plus (vs exs or simpler).

Filter sounds good. (I have others, but it's nice)

GUI is more useful.

^^my reasons
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear
agreed. it not a traditional sampler per se, but a cool way to incorporate Serato's existing tech into an easy DAW workflow. I do a fair amount of remixes and have tools that i've been using for years for key analysis, tempo detection, sample slicing, etc. Serato sample pretty much does the same things but in one plugin plus it has random functions for happy accidents. Maschine has recently up their audio game up though, I haven't compared to quality of it's timestretching to Pitch n' Time, Elastique, etc.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

how is the quality of the key detection though, cause over at the mpc live thread we are currently discussing it with a user that says it's terrible and gives bad results almost all of the time? some of us are contemplating buying it for mainly this reason.
Old 9th January 2018
f33
Gear Maniac

imo a bit overpriced for what it does, but it does do really cool things.

Its kinda like an MPC from the point that you could use it as a simple sampler for sketches or probably (with multiple instances) whole songs with just SS.

Can't comment on the pitch or key detection from a personal musical standpoint, but as a long time serato scratch live/serato dj user(11 years), SDJ has had key detection for about 3 yrs), most people on the serato board are pretty happy and from what ive read it seems about 70-80% right and was about even or better than MIxed in Key.

The pitch/key is controlled by PNT plug in from Serato, which is very good as well.

i think this is a 49$ plugin(for me to buy it), but it could definitely be worth 99$ for the right person. Somehow i got lucky and won it on fb in some trivia question contest.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Very interesting plugin.

Sounds indeed more musical and is more inspiring than the usual suspects.
The stretching algorithm keeps timing details while playing which get lost in other slicing devices.

I wouldn´t mind paying 100 USD for it if it would offer AHD filters like MPC and Maschine for single drum shots. Would easily replace the usual suspects.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Very interesting plugin.

The stretching algorithm keeps timing details while playing which get lost in other slicing devices.

I wouldn´t mind paying 100 USD for it if it would offer AHD filters like MPC and Maschine for single drum shots. Would easily replace the usual suspects.
who are the usual suspects you're speaking of, are you talking about ableton live?
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very interesting plugin.

First update was reasonably substantial.

Based on the price of the others, I have a strong suspicion that features will be added AND price will be increased.

Velocity
Concurrent use of filter
LFO global and per slice
ADSR global and per slice
Increased number of banks (beyond the single)
Pad linking

^^all very much due to be added as they grow the plug to become more full featured
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
who are the usual suspects you're speaking of, are you talking about ableton live?
Maschine, MPC, Ableton.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
First update was reasonably substantial.

Based on the price of the others, I have a strong suspicion that features will be added AND price will be increased.

Velocity
Concurrent use of filter
LFO global and per slice
ADSR global and per slice
Increased number of banks (beyond the single)
Pad linking

^^all very much due to be added as they grow the plug to become more full featured
As long as Serato Sample doesn´t include AHD filters for individual drum hits it is going to remain just an extension for MPC and Maschine. For changing the length of transient heavy material like kicks, there is no alternative to AHD filters. There is a reason why they extract a note of a bass line in their videos.
Dedicated drum audio engines are rare these days.

Makes no sense to remix with it strictly to me.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maschine, MPC, Ableton.
and I want to confirm, you're saying that serato samples time stretching is better than abletons and the mpc desktop 2.0's timestretching?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
and I want to confirm, you're saying that serato samples time stretching is better than abletons and the mpc desktop 2.0's timestretching?
It´s slicing algorithms groove better. More fun to jam around with it. You don´t experience a part of the sample not to fit in with your idea.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

don't get me wrong I'm super intrigued by what you're saying but how is this possible.. the app doesn't know what your idea is so what is it about the slices that makes them different from any other slicing on abletons transient detection or the mpc slicing etc...?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
don't get me wrong I'm super intrigued by what you're saying but how is this possible.. the app doesn't know what your idea is so what is it about the slices that makes them different from any other slicing on abletons transient detection or the mpc slicing etc...?
Has mainly to do with how Serato cuts the slices under the hood.Reminds me a lot of Recycle´s zero attacks.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has mainly to do with how Serato cuts the slices under the hood.Reminds me a lot of Recycle´s zero attacks.
hmmm, well I will probably give it a try. Going to return the regroover app for a refund tomorrow and think I might pick this up. I'm an experienced samplist so I've never had a problem with zero cross points but maybe there is something useful here, actually I hate downloading demos but maybe I should see if serato has one as if it's as underwhelming as regroover I'd be pissed lol... thanks for your insights I appreciate it.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Head

I've been producing sample based hip hop since the 90s. When I started i was using Akai mpc60s, S700s, S1000 etc. The biggest obstacle using loops from vinyl etc has always been trying to get the chops to run smoothly in time.

I have tried chopping in the exs24 in logic pro x but it was often lumpy. I tried flextime in Logic pro x but there always seems to be phasing issues with the chops. I tried abletons warping, but it's quite lumpy when it chops as well.

Then i tried the first demo of serato sample i pwas sold immediately. When you chop the sample 8 chops to the bar, select all and put the time stretch down by -2 or -3 and it seems to always get the loop in time without any noticable lumps.

I haven't used the key pitch much and i haven't installed the update yet and i know people are doing other creative things with it, but I think it's the best thing out there for chopping samples. And yes it is for one sample at a time, unless the source audio already has the various elements you want to chop within it, but it has a simple workflow, you can edit the start and end points easily and you can get into the groove really quickly. It's a great plugin and well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Can anyone here tell me if you can do MIDI -based (or even automation-based) pitch bends with Sample? I use Sample Track in Cubase for this, and it's essential to my workflow. I see a pitch control in the GUI but it looks like it's in half steps -- I need something where I can pitch bend totally smoothly up and and down like you would on a synth. Cubase Sample Track does this and it's a significant time saver for the kind of stuff I do.

Thanks!
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

I'm still trying to figure out why this sampler is so popular. Even ableton users are using it. I would use it if it allowed you to loop individual slices independently. That's a basic sampler feature that has been overlooked by serato. It seems great for someone who doesn't already have Maschine, mpc 2.0 or Ableton.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why this sampler is so popular. Even ableton users are using it. I would use it if it allowed you to loop individual slices independently. That's a basic sampler feature that has been overlooked by serato. It seems great for someone who doesn't already have Maschine, mpc 2.0 or Ableton.
I use it in Maschine, and prefer it over Maschine's native way of sample chopping or Live's Simpler in many cases. I just really vibe with its workflow and it can do things I like that Maschine's sampler and Live's Simpler can't.

Can't say i've ever needed a loop function in it, that's more a typical sampler function. It's more suited for playing MPC style chops.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I use it in Maschine, and prefer it over Maschine's native way of sample chopping or Live's Simpler in many cases. I just really vibe with its workflow and it can do things I like that Maschine's sampler and Live's Simpler can't.

Can't say i've ever needed a loop function in it, that's more a typical sampler function. It's more suited for playing MPC style chops.
what are those things that you like that it does that the others can't?
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
what are those things that you like that it does that the others can't?
Mainly all the per slice controls, most of which Simpler can't do without commiting slices to a drum rack and Maschine without commiting slices to tracks, both of which are a workflow killer for me compared with Sample.

The 'find samples' function in Sample is often useful as well for quicking finding good samples, and being able to lock the slices you want to keep as you go along.

Plus, syncing samples to project BPM is much easier with Sample than trying to do it with Maschine's sampler.
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Independent slice loopability is crucial IMO. It's what keeps me from really diving into Sample.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mainly all the per slice controls, most of which Simpler can't do without commiting slices to a drum rack and Maschine without commiting slices to tracks, both of which are a workflow killer for me compared with Sample.

The 'find samples' function in Sample is often useful as well for quicking finding good samples, and being able to lock the slices you want to keep as you go along.

Plus, syncing samples to project BPM is much easier with Sample than trying to do it with Maschine's sampler.
from the looks of it I'd prefer it over maschine's sampling but I'm not so sure about Lives
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
from the looks of it I'd prefer it over maschine's sampling but I'm not so sure about Lives
What do you prefer about Live's sampling?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Many people here using Sample?

After a year using it week in week out, I have to say it's got to be one of the best purchases i've made.

I'd hate to be without it now and have to go back to using Maschine's sampler or Live's Simpler. The sheer speed and ease you can audition records/samples in time and at the key you want inside leaves those other two in the dust.

The slick workflow overall is just killer and makes the traditionally often tedious task of auditioning and chopping lots of records, loops and stems a joy.

I don't use the term game changer lightly, but it really has been for me since it's so much improved my workflow and production rate, and given me the tool to audition/use thousands of sample sources that I wouldn't have had time to in the past with the often tedious Maschine sampler workflow or Live's Simpler which is better but still not as quick as Sample.

If you flip samples then I can't recommend it enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you prefer about Live's sampling?
I love the integration with push

are you using push with Live or just simpler without push?

I can't really tell what serrato sample has over Live besides the mixed in key like feature, Live is extremely quick for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the integration with push

are you using push with Live or just simpler without push?

I can't really tell what serrato sample has over Live besides the mixed in key like feature, Live is extremely quick for me.
I used to have Push, but am now all Maschine. I never had Push 2 though as it was years ago, and can appreciate Simplers integration with it would make a compelling case for using it if you didn't mind missing out on what Sample has that Simpler doesn't. The key analysis is one of the least important functions it has that Simpler doesn't,

i.e.

Per slice level/filter/env/reverse/key shift/time stretch/overlapable start and end points, and one of the biggest ones for me, favourite. I use favourite to very quickly build up a set of 16 chops from the likes of a full track. To do all this, esp the last one, is much slower in Simpler since you can't do any of it until you commit slices to a drum rack, which for me was always a bit of a workflow killer.

Plus once you slice to drum rack you lose the ability to have your chops play in thru mode. You also lose the ability to make parameter changes to multiple slices at once since you can't select anymore than one drum racked Simpler at once. I found that very annoying and again, a workflow killer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search