The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lets talk Serato Sample Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I used to have Push, but am now all Maschine. I never had Push 2 though as it was years ago, and can appreciate Simplers integration with it would make a compelling case for using it if you didn't mind missing out on what Sample has that Simpler doesn't. The key analysis is one of the least important functions it has that Simpler doesn't,

i.e.

Per slice level/filter/env/reverse/key shift/time stretch/overlapable start and end points, and one of the biggest ones for me, favourite. I use favourite to very quickly build up a set of 16 chops from the likes of a full track. To do all this, esp the last one, is much slower in Simpler since you can't do any of it until you commit slices to a drum rack, which for me was always a bit of a workflow killer.

Plus once you slice to drum rack you lose the ability to have your chops play in thru mode. You also lose the ability to make parameter changes to multiple slices at once since you can't select anymore than one drum racked Simpler at once. I found that very annoying and again, a workflow killer.
I guess I'm lucky in that this hasn't been my experience. Using Push 2 has been seamless for my workflow I really love it's pace as well, but I also like using multiple workflows for multiple results which is why I continue to be interested in serato sample, kinda like using different guitars for different songs. I think I'll be digging into Sample before the summer is over
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
I guess I'm lucky in that this hasn't been my experience. Using Push 2 has been seamless for my workflow I really love it's pace as well, but I also like using multiple workflows for multiple results which is why I continue to be interested in serato sample, kinda like using different guitars for different songs. I think I'll be digging into Sample before the summer is over
Well, 'lucky' in that you obviously don't often have much need to do what Simpler is inferior at.

Simpler is still great though of course, esp with Push integration, but as you are saying, using a similar but different plugin with a different workflow can be very useful.

If I was still on Live i'd be using both for their individual strengths and benefits for sure. Have fun.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

hey I have a question, I see a lot of videos where people talk about letting serato sample choose the slices for them, is there some specific advantage in that like some special algo or... I'm not even sure how to phrase the question properly but whenever it's mentioned it's almost as if this is a special feature so I'm wondering has serato got something special going on behind the scenes of that feature in particular that makes people want to use it?
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, 'lucky' in that you obviously don't often have much need to do what Simpler is inferior at.

Simpler is still great though of course, esp with Push integration, but as you are saying, using a similar but different plugin with a different workflow can be very useful.

If I was still on Live i'd be using both for their individual strengths and benefits for sure. Have fun.
actually I do make use of those elements but of course its the application that's different in Live, as well as the mpc live, and other samplers I use from roland and ensonique....with sampling these differences are really where the spice of life is at. Right now I'm using an elektron sampler more than anything else as I'm new to the instrument, but sometime this summer I will be heading into Serato and the pioneer toraiz. All I want for Christmas is more beat
machines
the only beatmachine I've ever disliked in my life is maschine, just sold it. all the others I've kept since the w-30
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey I have a question, I see a lot of videos where people talk about letting serato sample choose the slices for them, is there some specific advantage in that like some special algo or... I'm not even sure how to phrase the question properly but whenever it's mentioned it's almost as if this is a special feature so I'm wondering has serato got something special going on behind the scenes of that feature in particular that makes people want to use it?
It's great. It basically identifies what it thinks will be 'good' chops, such as one with a transient at the beginning and then a sustained part, and I'll give you some examples of how I use it.

1) When i'm auditioning records in Sample in situ as my track plays I can instantly be given up to 16 what it deems potentially 'good' slices which are all in time with my beat so I can very very quickly get a good idea if the record is worth using or not.

2) From there, say i've got a 6min record in Sample and i'm looking to get 16 choice chops from it. That can often take quite a long time to hunt though hundreds of bars and then set each ones slice points etc, so what I do to keep things fast is lock the slices I like (using the favourite function), and then hit 'find samples' again which then only replaces the unlocked slices. I repeat this process again and again until i've got 16 slices locked that I like.

It's one of these functions that only once you use it do you fully realise how useful and fast it can makes the slicing process.
Old 7th July 2018
f33
Gear Addict

Quote:
Many people here using Sample?

After a year using it week in week out, I have to say it's got to be one of the best purchases i've made.

I'd hate to be without it now and have to go back to using Maschine's sampler or Live's Simpler. The sheer speed and ease you can audition records/samples in time and at the key you want inside leaves those other two in the dust.

The slick workflow overall is just killer and makes the traditionally often tedious task of auditioning and chopping lots of records, loops and stems a joy.

I don't use the term game changer lightly, but it really has been for me since it's so much improved my workflow and production rate, and given me the tool to audition/use thousands of sample sources that I wouldn't have had time to in the past with the often tedious Maschine sampler workflow or Live's Simpler which is better but still not as quick as Sample.

If you flip samples then I can't recommend it enough.
I posted earlier here about it(in jan) but lately ive been using it more and more.

i think it will eventually be in everyone's toolkit. Its not game changing special, but its useful special i.e. it does the same thing a lot of other things do but in a different way than most plugins to and also with different options.

If it were more complicated it would take away from the simplicity, last time is said id buy it at 50$, but its 25% off and id probably do that now
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
actually I do make use of those elements but of course its the application that's different in Live, as well as the mpc live, and other samplers I use from roland and ensonique....with sampling these differences are really where the spice of life is at. Right now I'm using an elektron sampler more than anything else as I'm new to the instrument, but sometime this summer I will be heading into Serato and the pioneer toraiz. All I want for Christmas is more beat
machines
OK, well then you are undoubtedly experiencing the same issue as me when doing such things in Live, albeit you don't mind the more convoluted workflow.

Quote:
the only beatmachine I've ever disliked in my life is maschine, just sold it. all the others I've kept since the w-30
Fair enough. I've had Maschine since it first came out, but only with the Mk3 did I start using it to nearly it's full extent as it finally does just about everything I want.

I use it standalone now and have ditched DAWs (other than for mixing/mastering) as I find Maschine (along with KK and Jam), to be a far more hands and subsequently fun and creative way to make music.

Whatever works best for each of us of course though.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
I posted earlier here about it(in jan) but lately ive been using it more and more.

i think it will eventually be in everyone's toolkit. Its not game changing special, but its useful special i.e. it does the same thing a lot of other things do but in a different way than most plugins to and also with different options.

If it were more complicated it would take away from the simplicity, last time is said id buy it at 50$, but its 25% off and id probably do that now
Yes most of it can be done in other plugins, but the game changer for me is that it provides a superior/faster workflow for key functionality, and that makes all the difference.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

appreciate your insight Barry thanks
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

I forgot to ask you guys, does Sample read Flac files?
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot to ask you guys, does Sample read Flac files?
Yeah it reads all audio formats
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm bored to post on Serato Forum and get no feedback, so i post here to relief myself and get some hope about features i'm missing quite a lot.

I'll start with those :
- More cells
- Next/Previous track (Arrows) From current folder - It's so lame workflow to browse through Tons of tracks..acapellas.. reminding which one was selected etc..
- Resizable UI

Sorry.. thank you
Old 20th November 2018
Here for the gear

Anybody ever use the sampling functions in UVI Falcon? If so, how does it compare to Serato Sample?
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

those filters are unusable; damn please give us some news / update!
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
those filters are unusable; damn please give us some news / update!
Agreed re the filters. I almost never use them.
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Maniac
A scalable GUI would be good, a basic bass and treble eq and micro pitch on each slice would be awesome!
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Will Serato give us any day an update to Sample...? I'm beginning to doubt seriously.

+1 for scalable GUI and usable filters.. micro pitch per cell.. more cells.. select and keep slices from different tracks and stoke/save them in a folder linked to the DAW project..
I've got a list..
Please Serato.. Say hello here sometimes.. no answer so far on your dedicated forum..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search