The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Intersample timing and editing
Old 4th July 2017
Here for the gear

Intersample timing and editing

Hello fellow audio nerds,

yes "nerds" because my question may have only little practical use, but seeks to expand my knowledge of digital audio.

How does timing work in relation to sampling, resampling and intersample editing?
This is not a question of intersample peaks related especially to limiters.

The white paper of Dan Lavry suggests, that timing is not related to sampling or samplerate.

Code:
"The samples pin down the signal time properly. The timing of the reconstructed
audio has nothing to do with the position of the samples relative to the waveform. In theory, sampling and
reconstruction enable zero timing error between channels. Sample rate has nothing to do with accuracy of
stereo time location (audio delay between channels)."
http://www.lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-white-paper-the_optimal_sample_rate_for_quality_audio.pdf 
page 3-4
(I think that paper is fairly known around here)

So the timing is preserved when converting to digital. Also that means the timing can and will happen between samples. (because the likelihood that an event will happen exactly on one sample is fairly small)

PT for example is sample based. Meaning any editing done is with a minimum grid spacing of one sample. So any timing adjustment is limited to a shift of one sample.

Reaper on the other hand allows for free moving of audio clips and samples. (though you can restrict it to a sample grid)
I am confused about what happens when you play the result of my attached example. I couldn't find anything related to this topic, so if anyone knows something, please tell me.
I think that this has something to do with the resampling modes available in Reaper. Though these are commonly used for SRC... so I don't know. There is also the possibility that I do not fully comprehend the concept of sampling.
Are there any other DAWs that can do this?

One practical "real world" use for intersample editing could be the phasing of multi miced sources. For example multiple mics on a guitar cab or drum set. I do compensate for the timing difference in the different mics and often find that in PT i can't fully compensate, because the timing is not on a sample grid but rather in the infinite spaces between samples. When I have the time I will post an example of track examples where no compensation has happened, sample compensation and then intersample compensation. Could be interesting if there is a audible difference.

best regards,
Flosch
Attached Thumbnails
Intersample timing and editing-reaper-samling.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search