The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creative EMU Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head

Creative EMU

Hi,

Just popping by to ask about a lower end product that many people will turn their noses up !!! - Oh how could you ! -

EMU Creative 1820M - These have balanced connectors and in the sales speak at the time claimed to use the same high end AD / DA that Pro Tools systems of the time used.

Creative seemed very proud of their EMU 1820M - Some users even modify their units to make them sound even better.

I've got a used one of these items which are no longer produced and they have DSP fx as well which are useful to offload the processing of the computer - So based on the same idea as UAD and Creamware / Sonic Core - Albeit at a lower level.

Maybe someone who knows more about the types of converters used along with the pre-amps in EMU 1820M to shed a little more light on this.

There may already have been lengthy posts here of years gone by about the same subject that someone could link in here - Thanks -
Old 3rd July 2017
Here for the gear

Hi,

Has been my main piece of gear for years now. Only had to swap some caps a few years ago and resolder the phones jack.

Right now they are feeding 8330 using coax spdif and working great.

Pres are a bit noisy but usable.

My 2 cents!

Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post
Hi,

Has been my main piece of gear for years now. Only had to swap some caps a few years ago and resolder the phones jack.

Right now they are feeding 8330 using coax spdif and working great.

Pres are a bit noisy but usable.

My 2 cents!

Cheers.
What is 8330?

So you've got 1820 M and are happy with it - that's cool! - Did you solder your own or get someone to do it?
Old 3rd July 2017
The chips used in the AD/DA are only part of the story - and they're generally the cheap part! The analogue stage makes a massive difference. It's not enough to claim lineage just because the same chips are used.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The chips used in the AD/DA are only part of the story - and they're generally the cheap part! The analogue stage makes a massive difference. It's not enough to claim lineage just because the same chips are used.
OK - I know nothing about this so please elaborate - I've come on a lot in some ways but this is going a little deeper so please explain a little more - It's geeky but good information when discussing and comparing etc...
Old 3rd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazz View Post
OK - I know nothing about this so please elaborate - I've come on a lot in some ways but this is going a little deeper so please explain a little more - It's geeky but good information when discussing and comparing etc...
The design of a converter is much more than what chips are used. I'm no expert here, but expensive converters have lower noise floor and distortion amongst other factors (some even attempt to enhance the audio like offerings from Burl and JCF that feature transformers in the input chain). What chip is used is only one piece of the puzzle, and claiming that it's the same as xyz converter thus implying something is as good as, is disingenuous.
Old 3rd July 2017
Here for the gear

Had someone do it.

Genelec 8330.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigopigo View Post
Had someone do it.

Genelec 8330.
I'll Google this as well but what is a Genelec 8330?
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I'll Google this as well but what is a Genelec 8330?
OK so you're using Genelec 8330 active monitors via coaxial spdif cable and you've had some caps swapped out on your EMU 1820M that someone has done this for you.

Please could you explain a little more about the caps that have been swapped out - Are these to do with the Mic Pre amps or analog ins or outs or something from the converters themselves? [AD/DA]? - Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The design of a converter is much more than what chips are used. I'm no expert here, but expensive converters have lower noise floor and distortion amongst other factors (some even attempt to enhance the audio like offerings from Burl and JCF that feature transformers in the input chain). What chip is used is only one piece of the puzzle, and claiming that it's the same as xyz converter thus implying something is as good as, is disingenuous.
Transformer input ACDs are actually more of the ideal circuit for conversion. The converter chip is half the story. I have a 1212M PCIe cards in a machine and I know they actually put good parts in it (panasonic caps, TI pcm4220). Another thing is connection. I got -138db noise floor with it hooked up as a 2 trk on the balanced with a home made summer with tube line stage.

sounds like they made the 1820M cheaper though....
Old 4th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post
Transformer input ACDs are actually more of the ideal circuit for conversion. The converter chip is half the story. I have a 1212M PCIe cards in a machine and I know they actually put good parts in it (panasonic caps, TI pcm4220). Another thing is connection. I got -138db noise floor with it hooked up as a 2 trk on the balanced with a home made summer with tube line stage.

Yeah I'm making no comments on the quality of the 1820M - I've not used one - im just commenting that any marketing speak comparing it favourably to another product because it shares chips is misleading (as you're obviously aware, but the OP may not be).
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear
Although he's moved on, my brother still speaks fondly of the sound quality of his old 1820M. I do remember an old thread here where somebody listed the converter chips of a variety of interfaces and I think he said the 1820M used AKM converter chips. I don't remember what specific model but like psyco_monkey alluded to, converter chips do not tell the whole story. There's the analog path and much much more.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

I remember my 1820M being a great sounding and very useable unit. DSP and mixer were a nice touch and Pcie connection was very fast.
Old 4th July 2017
Here for the gear

Changed the output caps. They made some noise and after checking the inside i noticed one of them was a bit rounded.
Solved the noise problem and they have been working great since then.
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post

EMU 1820M still used the same 1010 card as the 1212M but using PCI instead of your PCI-e

I did read the 1616M has better mic. pre's. than the 1820M is that is what you mean by made cheaper?
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did read the 1616M has better mic. pre's. than the 1820M is that is what you mean by made cheaper?
that what is others are saying I guess. I never used one because my 1212M is line level i/o and never messed with one that had the box.

I would expect a mic pre on the same level as a Maudio or motu interface which would mean I would be bypassing them because I have several versions of better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search