The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek 8x192 USB interface - how's the software layout? Audio Interfaces
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Mytek 8x192 USB interface - how's the software layout?

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the USB DIO card for my Mytek 8x192. Been using it with my Lynx AES16 so far, but have had trouble with the Lynx card sometimes and think about making a switch.

- How do you like the Mytek software layout (for monitoring/routing etc.)? Is it straight forward?

- How's the audio performance with Windows systems? Do you think it's better/more stable than the AES16 via wordclock?

- How would I link two Mytek converters? Fit both with the USB DIO card and link them via software?

Thanks a lot!

Nic
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think, it's will be good move from Lynx AES card to USB interface, unless you really need portability with some notebook.
I don't have direct experience with USB DIO, but generally no similar generic usb audio board matches the latency performance and efficiency of PCIe engine with DMA transfers (Lynx is one of best there together with RME). Also the USB option doesn't seems to be able to transfer more than 8 channels, so I don't think, you'll be able to use more than one converter (assuming one connected via USB to computer and second via AES to the first.. you'd need 16 channels for that). Software aggregation via two USB interfaces generally almost always sucks.

I'd rather concentrate to fixing all the issues with AES16.. with that you'll have IMO exceptional performance with 16ch up to 192k.

If you insist of some replacement, then look for HDSPe AES-32 by RME.. it's more expensive than 500EUR DIO option, but not so much for what you'll get.
I have experience with both Lynx AES and RME HDSPe cards, and it was always rock solid.

Michal
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

I've had my Mytek 8x192 running with the FW DIO card on Win7... AFAIK the software for the I/O routing and monitoring is the same on USB and FW. I was very happy with it, it was working rock solid, never had an issue. The mixer is simple, but levels, pan and mute per output pair is all you need. So yes, very straight forward. I've no experience in linking two units, seems like AES or ADAT is the better option there.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search