The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time to upgrade: MacBook Pro 2017 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th June 2017
Here for the gear

Time to upgrade: MacBook Pro 2017

Time for me to upgrade my 2011 13" mbp pro! Is the 2017 13" pro powerful enough to keep up with the next 5 years or so of plugin/DAW development or is the 15" more powerful enough to warrant the extra $$$? Main factor in getting the 13" is the portability factor. Thanks ppl!
Old 30th June 2017
No one can predict...
I find myself changing my Mac about every three years depending on what Apple releases. It also depends on how much extra you're putting in it of course. I'd say nothing less than 16GB of RAM nowadays and I would've put in an i7-CPU as well.
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Nut

If you're worried about it being fast enough for years to come then get the 15". The 13" model has never had a quad core, regardless of i5 / i7. Only the 15" gets the benefits of quad core i7's.
Good luck
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

I upgraded from 2009 MacBook Pro to the 15" 2.9 GHz MacBook Pro. It is double, triple the speed.
Old 1st July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
I upgraded from 2009 MacBook Pro to the 15" 2.9 GHz MacBook Pro. It is double, triple the speed.
I've been eyeing this one. It has enough power for my needs (right now I'm using an i5 mac mini for god sakes) but I'm worried about 1) fan noise under heavy cpu load and 2) the dongle thing still seems like a major hassle. Have you gotten a chance to put it through its paces yet?
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillis View Post
I've been eyeing this one. It has enough power for my needs (right now I'm using an i5 mac mini for god sakes) but I'm worried about 1) fan noise under heavy cpu load and 2) the dongle thing still seems like a major hassle. Have you gotten a chance to put it through its paces yet?
Ive been loading projects from my old MacBook and iMac. Its really an upgrade from my MacBook Pro. It is faster than a 2015 iMac. It handles the projects with ease.

I haven't even heard the fans turn on yet.

Its an extra cost but I don't consider the adaptor a dongle. Its like using an adaptor on a audio cable.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Guru

you might find the 13" screen too small for some programs !!!! i tried it with a macbook air once .. i took advantage of the 14 day Apple return policy .. i traded up to a 15" macbook pro .. just was not enough gas ... this was in 2014 .. my .02
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Cool info here. I just ordered the new MacBook Pro Mid 2017. 3.1 GHZ quad core 1TB SSD and 16 GB of Ram. I really wish it had an option for 32 GB of Ram and there is not. I will try my best not to use all the Ram when using Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate instruments.

1) Any tips to preserve Ram?

2) And what Adapters are you using for your external sound card interface, your external Sample drive, your external Recording drive and iLoks?

Thank you.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undiscovered View Post
Cool info here. I just ordered the new MacBook Pro Mid 2017. 3.1 GHZ quad core 1TB SSD and 16 GB of Ram. I really wish it had an option for 32 GB of Ram and there is not. I will try my best not to use all the Ram when using Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate instruments.

2) And what Adapters are you using for your external sound card interface, your external Sample drive, your external Recording drive and iLoks?

Thank you.
1) keep the number of voices in any VI plugins to the minimum without dropping notes ...
Old 2nd July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undiscovered View Post

Thank you.
What are you going to do, go in there with white gloves on, a microscope, and tweezers to specifically allocate which komplete instrument can have what amounts of ram that was a joke lol

BTW: you could have saved $700 alone by going with the quad core 2.8ghz and 512 GB SSD..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search