The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident A-Range Questions Equalizer Plugins
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

Trident A-Range Questions

Hey, I just downloaded the Softube Trident A-Range plugin demo and noticed that the are no presets. Am I missing something, or is this just how it comes?

Also, is anyone familiar with the UA Trident A-Range? Does this version have presets? I've read that the UÀ is a better sounding emulation than it's Softube counter part; I'm planning on trying it tomorrow (the last day of the UA Summer Sale).

Thanks,
Adam
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 View Post
Hey, I just downloaded the Softube Trident A-Range plugin demo and noticed that the are no presets. Am I missing something, or is this just how it comes?

Also, is anyone familiar with the UA Trident A-Range? Does this version have presets? I've read that the UÀ is a better sounding emulation than it's Softube counter part; I'm planning on trying it tomorrow (the last day of the UA Summer Sale).

Thanks,
Adam
Hi,

To answer your question wheter the UAD Trident-A sound better than the UAD version, in my opinion they are comparable in quality. The Softube has a knob to introduce harmonics, this is something the UAD version lacks, but when I worked with the Softube version, I didn't like the saturation a lot to be honest. In the end I opted for the UAD version, mostly because of the fact I could get it for very cheap during a sale and with the help of a juicy coupon. :-)

In all honesty, I don't use it as much as I used to, this is mostly because of the fact that I think the UAD API eq's, Neve 88RS mk2 and Pultec mk2 Collection give me a sound I like more most of the time. Maybe that changes once a Trident-A mk2 is released.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have the softube version and use it on vocals in every mix to drive the highs, add air, and saturate the highs. Nothing works as good for this as far as I can see. I use a rather dark mic, so this takes it where I need to be.

Honestly, without the saturate knob, I would never use it.

Regarding presets, no offense, but why would one need them with such a simple EQ??
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
In all honesty, I don't use it as much as I used to, this is mostly because of the fact that I think the UAD API eq's, Neve 88RS mk2 and Pultec mk2 Collection give me a sound I like more most of the time. Maybe that changes once a Trident-A mk2 is released.
What doesn't it mean when a plugin is mk2?
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What doesn't it mean when a plugin is mk2?
On the UAD platform, some of the older emulations received an upgrade, like the 1176, LA-2A, Pultec and Neve 88RS for example. The older plugins mentioned have been developed to run on their old UAD-1 platform, while the UAD-2 platform offers more processing power. This extra power, combined with improved knowledge about emulations, allowed UA developers to create new emulations (from the ground up), this time including the finer characteristics what makes an analog hardware device sound so amazing (signal path).
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
On the UAD platform, some of the older emulations received an upgrade, like the 1176, LA-2A, Pultec and Neve 88RS for example. The older plugins mentioned have been developed to run on their old UAD-1 platform, while the UAD-2 platform offers more processing power. This extra power, combined with improved knowledge about emulations, allowed UA developers to create new emulations (from the ground up), this time including the finer characteristics what makes an analog hardware device sound so amazing (signal path).
It's cool that UA is continually improving their plugs, but at the same time it's pretty lame that they don't offer some kind of upgrade discount.

The mk2 line is fairly recent, no? Did UA start releasing mk2 versions when thier plugins jumped up in price and started being referred to as "Collections"?
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's cool that UA is continually improving their plugs, but at the same time it's pretty lame that they don't offer some kind of upgrade discount.

The mk2 line is fairly recent, no? Did UA start releasing mk2 versions when thier plugins jumped up in price and started being referred to as "Collections"?
I never payed more than €99 for any of the mk2 upgrades, often even less. That makes it far from full price, is it not? People who complain about UAD plugin prices seem to forget the frequent sales and discount coupons.

Sure there are cheaper alternatives, but my studio is basically build around UA hardware and software and I have not regretted that decision ever since. High quality hardware and software and rock solid stability. That's what makes it worth it for me. Oh and it's not like I don't have any native plugins, I do have a few from a handfull of amazing native plugin developers who's plugins complement my UAD collection beautifully.

Okay I will stop now, I'm way off topic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search