The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread
Old 26th June 2017
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread

Hi there,

in this thread I hope to gather all the current information about the AMD Ryzen platform and the issus with UAD 2 Solo and Duo DSP cards.
Almost every week the mainboard manufactures releasing new beta bios and I'll hope that one of them will fix the detection / driver problems on Windows 10. It might also possible that UAD release a new driver which fixes the issue.

So I make a start here with my MSI B350 Tomahawk & UAD 2 Duo system. Im currently running the beta Bios 1.64 and yesterday MSI released version 1.65 which I'm planning to upgrade after work today. So later I'm gonna update this thread.
Please contribute if you have any luck with your mainboard / bios platform so everybody knows that there is a solution.

You might also find useful information on this thread on the UAD Forums (it seems to me the most recent):
UAD 2 quad isn't detected: no devices found

Thanks and all the best,

Jan
Old 26th June 2017
So far I had no luck on a B350 and an X370 system, and I don't expect it to work either. I can check if there is a new BIOS today. I am curious whether the Octo works, but I haven't bothered googling it yet.
Old 26th June 2017
I've just updated to the latest beta bios but unfortunately the issue won't go away. Guess we'll have to wait for a new UAD driver. Did someone else had better luck?
Old 27th June 2017
I am convinced this will never work. Solo/Duo/Quad are NOT compatible with the MacPro 2013. They are NOT compatible with many PCIe slots on X79/X99/C602/C612 chipsets since 2012. The Octo works fine with all these systems in every slot. Don't hold your breath, it is obviously not a driver issue, but a chipset PCI compatibility issue as UA has communicated years ago. Nothing you can fix with firmware or drivers.
Old 27th June 2017
Yes that could be the case but there's a little hope though, as UAD stated they are currently investigation the issues with Ryzen based systems.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Nut

Uad-2 Pcie solo.
Ryzen 7 1700
Gigabyte x370 gaming k7

No Support.

And there will never be a workable driver.
Uad are ****heads, they don't care about ryzen
They are intel blind.

This is so annoying
3000 euro for nothing.

Uad the USB satellite or thunderbolt working on ryzen?
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilon View Post
Uad-2 Pcie solo.
Ryzen 7 1700
Gigabyte x370 gaming k7

No Support.

And there will never be a workable driver.
Uad are ****heads, they don't care about ryzen
They are intel blind.
As far as I know the issue is on the actual PCIe cards themselves, and some won't work on some Intel systems either (I think this means that only octo cards are guaranteed to work on x99 platforms for example - but I could be wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanskavar View Post
This is so annoying
3000 euro for nothing.
Yeah, annoying. I think this might be the nail in the coffin for UAD for me. I might sell my quad and put the money towards a new computer instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanskavar View Post
Uad the USB satellite or thunderbolt working on ryzen?
Thunderbolt is currently not supported if I remember correctly.
Old 29th June 2017
As far as I know currently only Octo cards are working with Ryzen and even some newer Intel systems. Here is the official UAD statement about Ryzen:
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...-Compatibility
Yesterday I contacted the support about any news. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything new...
Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
As far as I know the issue is on the actual PCIe cards themselves, and some won't work on some Intel systems either (I think this means that only octo cards are guaranteed to work on x99 platforms for example - but I could be wrong).
Correct, the Octo has a different PCIe chip which makes it compatible with X99 and presumably Ryzen and X299 - no info on that yet that I am aware of.

Quote:
Thunderbolt is currently not supported if I remember correctly.
Correct, it is still tied to Intel. There are rumors that Intel will open the licensing for 3rd party chipsets, but when and whether that will actually happen - and whether AMD will support it - is a discussion about vapourware for now.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Nut

So frustrated
Damn I want my uad plugins back
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Thumbs down

Hello,

very disappointed here too with my UAD-2 Quad PCIe.

This is the config that i just bought:
Asus Prime B350-Plus + Ryzen 7 1700
(lastest bios)

Ryzen processors are actually the best value for money
It's a shame for AMD & UA there is no compatibility.

Should i sell it or wait some months ? This is the big question
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear
If it's matter of base address registers like in the case of incompatibility with certain Xeon setups (like new Mac Pros and TB chassis), then no software/firmware change likely fix that. So honestly, I don't think, it will be working.
You have two choices - return Ryzen board and get some Intel (That's probably what I'd do).. or sell the Quad card and get Octo, which might be also gain you some more processing headroom for UAD powered plugins (so it won't be just lateral move for compatibility).

Michal
Old 14th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopongle View Post
Hello,

very disappointed here too with my UAD-2 Quad PCIe.

This is the config that i just bought:
Asus Prime B350-Plus + Ryzen 7 1700
(lastest bios)

Ryzen processors are actually the best value for money
It's a shame for AMD & UA there is no compatibility.

Should i sell it or wait some months ? This is the big question
To quote myself from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
New info on UAD/AMD:
as I expected, the UAD-2 PCIe Octo works fine in all 4 PCIe x1 slots on my Asrock ab350 mobo, contrary to the solo/duo/quad. It didn't work in the shared x8 slot, but I didn't have time to check its configuration settings, it is very limited in its use.
Also, Apollo Twin USB and Satellite quad USB work fine as well.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Nut

Uad support say, USB and FireWire are fully working with ryzen.
But what should I do with all my plugins, they are registered with the card
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Maniac

It definitely seems like you need to be bit careful checking for relevant support for the UAD Quad PCIe. Even back in 2009 I had issues with this card not working correctly on the first mother board I tried, so have been aware of potential issues.

If possible, and you have a UAD Quad, I'd recommend ensuring that your PC builder is on board with this as a requirement when you order, so you can have them swap out parts if not compatible for any reason.

Literally just ordered an up to date audio PC and this UAD compatibility issue made me go with an i7 7700k. Would have been nice to have the Ryzen as an option. Well, maybe next time!

I'm not too concerned by potentially losing out on performance. I'll be more than doubling the performance of my main audio box, and will likely still be maxing out the UAD Quad before the PC in most cases anyway...

Next audio box refresh (2023?), well hopefully I'll we'll see further leaps in performance. For now better to order and keep working!
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalAudio View Post
Hi SIGA,

At this point, support for Ryzen is not planned.

As Matt said, we have anecdotal evidence that OCTO cards will work with Ryzen, but it is still not supported.

It seems to be the same addressing issue with trashcan Mac Pros.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
At least this is less spin than I received via PM here on Gearslutz.

Anyone want to buy a UAD-2 Quad PCIe? (not joking)
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Nut

I bought me the octo usb 3.0 version. Works fine
Old 29th October 2018
Here for the gear

I had fully working UAD2 Solo and Duo cards working on X99 MB Builds, and I currently have UAD Solo and Duo cards working on X299 MB builds.

In fact when I first built the x299 the duo card was not being recognized, the chipset did not recognize the card and load its driver (as it didnt even appear in device manager) this problem went away when I ran XMP profiling on the memory buss, I tried different PCIe slots and its now recognized.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Guru

The thread is about Ryzen though....
Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear

!For people who still looking for a Solution for this Problem!

After the BIOS Version 1201 for my ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO my UAD2 SOLO PCIe Card is working in my Ryzen 7 2700x System ...

I contacted ASUS last Year and they tried to help and give me a Letter with Questions i should ask UAD wich non official PCIe Standards their Cards have.

I contacted UAD and give them the official Letter from ASUS.
UAD answered me "Older PCIe Cards than the Octa are not Supported for Systems like AMD Ryzen by the Manufactor. You can buy a Satellite USB."

ASUS told me with a so highly and intelligent Answer like that they can't really help me but they try and i should wait for the next BIOS Version.

Now it works... as I am used to it

Thank you ASUS !!!

Best regards
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibel View Post

After the BIOS Version 1201 for my ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO my UAD2 SOLO PCIe Card is working in my Ryzen 7 2700x System ...

I contacted ASUS last Year and they tried to help and give me a Letter with Questions i should ask UAD wich non official PCIe Standards their Cards have.

UAD answered me "Older PCIe Cards than the Octa are not Supported for Systems like AMD Ryzen by the Manufactor. You can buy a Satellite USB."

ASUS told me with a so highly and intelligent Answer like that they can't really help me but they try and i should wait for the next BIOS Version.

Thank you ASUS !!!

Best regards
Do you mind sending me that info from ASUS?
I have 2 Duo cards I would like to see working on my ASrock Ryzen board...

BTW a Marian card I have here didn't work either on any Ryzen/TR board, but now it works solid on the Ryzen (haven't tried the TR yet). Not sure what changed it, it could have been a Windows or Marian thing as well.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru

I'm going to try to update my Prime mobo tomorrow and install my Quad to see if it works... Would be spectacular...
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:

Thank you ASUS !!!

Best regards
Wow that is actually a nice move from Asus. Im happy for you! A lot happend with my System since I started this thread. I currently don't use a Ryzen CPU nor a duo card. I switched to the Intel 9900k and an UAD Octo. But Im keen about the Ryzen 3000 series, so who knows
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Do you mind sending me that info from ASUS?
They just want to know the specification from UAD2 for the PCIe Cards.
In the Release Notes from Asus are not much informations... :/
Not sure what they have done...
"Add CPU PCIe Lanes Unlocked item in BIOS when plugging in AMD Athlon 2XX series processors."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolutshan View Post
I switched to the Intel 9900k and an UAD Octo. But Im keen about the Ryzen 3000 series, so who knows
I'm not a Intel or AMD Pro ... Normally i use Intel its my first AMD.
I'm very happy with the System. Had also no Problems with my Firewire-Card etc... It's really stable... And one important Point for me was the Mainboard Features... Only the UAD2 just didn't work. I like that i can put also the next Generations of the CPUs for Example the Ryzen 3000 Serie in it and i will

Best Regards
Attached Thumbnails
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread-sharedscreenshot.jpg  
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru

Confirmed that my UAD-2 Quad now works with my Ryzen 7 1700 setup.

Motherboard: Asus Prime x370-A
BIOS: 4207 (2018/12/14)
Windows 10 - 1809, build 17763.348

Super-big thanks to Dezibel for letting us all know! Heck, I'll even throw in one of these for'ya:

Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear
Just posted this message on YouTube... I just built my new AMD computer including a Ryzen 2700x and Asus x470-pro, 32gb ram etc. Pretty happy with it and really fast machine. Nevermind Intel.
Installed my PCIe UAD duo and installed the software for it. No problem whatsoever. The card is recognised and the Pluggins are detected on Wavelab. Happy days!
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Confirmed that my UAD-2 Quad now works with my Ryzen 7 1700 setup.

Motherboard: Asus Prime x370-A
BIOS: 4207 (2018/12/14)
Windows 10 - 1809, build 17763.348

Super-big thanks to Dezibel for letting us all know! Heck, I'll even throw in one of these for'ya:

Based on this report, I've switched yesterday my mobo MSI B350 Gaming Plus for ASUS Prime x370-A. To my surprise, nothing changed, 'no device found'. BIOS version 4207. Ryzen 2600 and Win7. I did everything possible but no luck.

Then I've installed fresh Win10 - 1809. Still my UAD-2 Duo not detected. So how it is possible we have almost the same setup and for you it works and not for me?

I've spent 8 hours last night nonstop trying to figure out this problem with different BIOS settings and once my uad-2 duo PCIe has appeared and was fully working! It was on Win7 than I've restarted and boot into win10 and the card was still working. So I've just shut down computer and power on again WITHOUT any changes in BIOS and card was lost again. WTF? It seems that it's definitely not software related issue. Tried BIOS settings change again many times, mostly with RAM frequency and RAM voltage, trying to disable/enable onboard devices like integrated audio/lan/serial port and second time UAD has appeared again but lost after restart. I gave up. :(

Maybe combination with RAM or even VGA (sharing PCIe resources?) are important too? I heard Ryzen's internal bus is very tied with RAM...

So to make a short summary:

mattiasnyc
MOB: Asus Prime x370-A (bios: 4207)
CPU: Ryzen 1700
RAM: ???
VGA: ???
UAD-2 Quad: WORKING

Dezibel
MOB: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero x470 (bios: ???)
CPU: Ryzen 2700x
RAM: g.skill trident z 3200 2x8GB
VGA: amd 270x, gigabyte 1070 ti
UAD-2 Solo: WORKING

spooks
MOB: Asus x470-Pro (bios: ???)
UAD-2 Duo: WORKING

magnetique
MOB:Asus Prime x370-A (bios: 4207,4602)
CPU: Ryzen 2600
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4-3000Mhz 2x8GB
VGA: ATI Radeon HD5450
UAD-2 Duo: NOT WORKING UPDATE: WORKING in PCIe 16x graphic slot!

I would like to ask you friends to complete the data from your side.
I need to know why you have working setups and me not.
Where is the difference?

Thank you!
Old 12th April 2019
I'm curious about this as well.
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetique View Post
Based on this report, I've switched yesterday my mobo MSI B350 Gaming Plus for ASUS Prime x370-A. To my surprise, nothing changed, 'no device found'. BIOS version 4207. Ryzen 2600 and Win7. I did everything possible but no luck.

Then I've installed fresh Win10 - 1809. Still my UAD-2 Duo not detected. So how it is possible we have almost the same setup and for you it works and not for me?

I've spent 8 hours last night nonstop trying to figure out this problem with different BIOS settings and once my uad-2 duo PCIe has appeared and was fully working! It was on Win7 than I've restarted and boot into win10 and the card was still working. So I've just shut down computer and power on again WITHOUT any changes in BIOS and card was lost again. WTF? It seems that it's definitely not software related issue. Tried BIOS settings change again many times, mostly with RAM frequency and RAM voltage, trying to disable/enable onboard devices like integrated audio/lan/serial port and second time UAD has appeared again but lost after restart. I gave up. :(

Maybe combination with RAM or even VGA (sharing PCIe resources?) are important too? I heard Ryzen's internal bus is very tied with RAM...

So to make a short summary:

mattiasnyc
MOB: Asus Prime x370-A (bios: 4207)
CPU: Ryzen 1700
UAD-2 Quad: WORKING

Dezibel
MOB: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero x470 (bios: ???)
UAD-2 Solo: WORKING

spooks
MOB: Asus x470-Pro (bios: ???)
UAD-2 Duo: WORKING

magnetique
MOB:Asus Prime x370-A (bios: 4207,4602)
CPU: Ryzen 2600
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4-3000Mhz 2x8GB
VGA: ATI Radeon HD5450
UAD-2 Duo: NOT WORKING

I would like to ask you friends to complete the data from your side.
I need to know why you have working setups and me not.
Where is the difference?

Thank you!
I will make a complete report of my resources and irq addresses at weekend for u... Do u use a M.2 slot? Every reboot the BIOS will reassign the irq addresses that's could be a problem because the old controller of the uad2 pcie card is more the pci protocol put on a pcie card if I understand the problem right... I use g.skill trident z 3200 CL14 16gb non AMD slots 2 and 4... My video card changed from amd 270x to gigabyte 1070 ti both worked I also use I pcie for Firewire and a pcie for m.2 non m.2 from board for a better cooling solution...
U should defently contact Asus if u haven't...
Best regards...
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I will make a complete report of my resources and irq addresses at weekend for u... Do u use a M.2 slot? Every reboot the BIOS will reassign the irq addresses that's could be a problem because the old controller of the uad2 pcie card is more the pci protocol put on a pcie card if I understand the problem right... I use g.skill trident z 3200 CL14 16gb non AMD slots 2 and 4... My video card changed from amd 270x to gigabyte 1070 ti both worked I also use I pcie for Firewire and a pcie for m.2 non m.2 from board for a better cooling solution...
U should defently contact Asus if u haven't...
Best regards...
Thank you, I've updated your profile summary depends on your report.

I don't use M.2. I've also removed any cards from my configuration and kept only UAD, doesn't help either.
So the IRQ assign is the main aim for me too. But even I will figure it out somehow, how can I assign IRQ channels to be fixed? There seems to be no option for that in bios...

Another question is why mattiasnyc has exactly the same mainboard and bios version and doesn't face the problem like me? The different CPU doesn't seem to be an issue here, for example yours Ryzen 2700x and mine 2600 differs only with count of cores and frequency, nothing more. Same chips in fact...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search