The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I can't get my PCIe cards to work in an ASrock motherboard, while Satellite USB works fine. So does the Octo PCIe.
Yeah, from what I understand ASUS actually did something on purpose to deal with this issue, and as long as other companies don't focus on it I'm guessing we won't see an improvement. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

That'll probably make me a solid ASUS customer for the foreseeable future I think, even if I end up ditching UAD.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Hi all,
I read through the trouble that @ magnetique was having with his UAD card. The fix being that he put it in a PCIe x16 slot, sort of implies that the direct-CPU slots that don't go through the PLX switching function (or equivalent) on the motherboard are friendly to whatever UAD's drivers need to use for handshaking.

This is all now vitally interesting to me now because I'm strongly leaning toward building a 3950X / x570 workstation when the parts become available in the last quarter of 2019. To that end, the critical functions for me are to run dual video cards (GTX 1070 pair or RTX 2060 pair) an RME MADI ExpressCard, a RocketRAID 2722, and the UAD-2 Duo.

Right now I'm running all that stuff with a single GTX 1070 in a 2010 Mac Pro with Win10. I don't often upgrade, but when I do...

Can @ magnetique verify which slot was used for successfully getting the UAD card to work?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Hi all,
I read through the trouble that @ magnetique was having with his UAD card. The fix being that he put it in a PCIe x16 slot, sort of implies that the direct-CPU slots that don't go through the PLX switching function (or equivalent) on the motherboard are friendly to whatever UAD's drivers need to use for handshaking.
Ok, but I don't need to have it in that slot though, so something is different between our setups...

Quote:
To that end, the critical functions for me are to run dual video cards (GTX 1070 pair or RTX 2060 pair) an RME MADI ExpressCard, a RocketRAID 2722, and the UAD-2 Duo.
Do you mind me asking why you're going to use two video cards?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Ok, but I don't need to have it in that slot though, so something is different between our setups...

Do you mind me asking why you're going to use two video cards?
Sure. I use DaVinci Resolve. Actually, I'm a beginner in it, but I've committed to it (bought the Studio license for Fusion and Resolve) and am taking a course in it right now.

DaVinci processes color correction, noise reduction, special effects, and a substantial amount of encode/decode work on the GPU, and has scalable capability for those functions by adding GPUs.

The 2nd GPU adds about 75% more processing, the 3rd and 4th are substantially smaller diminishing returns. Puget Systems has great articles that document the performance of various GPU cards and multiples thereof.

I'm using the GTX 1070 now in my 2010 Mac Pro because it's the most GPU processing power that would work on one PCIe slot plus one mini-PCIe 6-pin-to-8-pin power link. (150 Watts)
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hmmm... I would double check that.

Last article I read was this one:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...formance-1382/

And if you look at the scores a double 2080 scores just a hair better than a single Radeon VII. So I don't really see how a 'lesser' two 2060 would score more than that. So for about the same amount of money you'd save on PCIe slots, and if memory serves me you'd not only get more video memory (16GB), but I think Resolve doesn't add the memory up, just allows for data sets up to the smallest card's memory pool. So with 2x6GB the largest data set would be 6GB sent out to the cards, compared to 16GB for a VII. And even if I got that wrong it'd be 16GB vs 12GB (but I think I got that right).

So anyway, I think you should double check that before you spend the money.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hmmm... I would double check that.
The video memory does not add up on additional cards. The GTX 1070 is an 8GB card, which is just fine for the 4k work that I'm doing. The second 1070 was/is free, so that's why I'm planning that as stage-1 of migration from the old to new machine.

As for the RTX 2060, there's no immediate buying plan, simply that I expect that I won't be compositing a Star Wars battle scene, but will be doing some noise reductions, facial makeup, and of course lots of color correction. I had mis-remembered that the 2060 is only a 6GB card, so the 2070 would be the first-possible candidate, not the 2060.

There's also quite a large possibility that something from the AMD people would be an attractive price/performer when it's time to buy hardware.

Once I get my sea legs, I'll have a sense of how much GPU I'll have to buy when money has to move. Right now, I'm just getting oriented.

Thanks for your interest and input. Keep it coming.
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi all,
Can @ magnetique verify which slot was used for successfully getting the UAD card to work?
Hello,

I've used the bottom one as in the upper one is my VGA.

In your situation, where you plan to use two VGA at once, I would buy motherboard with 3x graphic slots such a Asus Prime or Rog Strix, just for making sure and have a reserve slot in the case you will face the same problem as I did.

But none of these x-570 mobos seem to have old PCI slot for your RocketRAID 2722, so I would look for a PCIe replacement...
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetique View Post

But none of these x-570 mobos seem to have old PCI slot for your RocketRAID 2722, so I would look for a PCIe replacement...
The RocketRAID 2722 is an x8 PCIe 2.0 card.
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear

Now, when a killer 3rd generation of Ryzen is out, it would be nice, if somebody could post result with Ryzen 3000 CPUs family setup, anyone?

Becauase the price/performance ratio is unbelievable, almost half priced compared with same range performing Intel...
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

Just tried in an MSI B450 A Pro with Ryzen 3700x, have a pair of UAD-2 Duos
The cards are detected, but appear in the device manager with an exclamation mark - looking at the event log it says they are configured but 'failed to start'
Is this what people were seing on 1xxx / 2xxx? Do *all* asus motherboards work or only certain models?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

My understanding is that it's a matter of having a bios that can 'correctly' recognize and 'address' the card and then the OS will use it. To my knowledge it has nothing to do with the CPU.

Not sure if it works on all ASUS mobos or just some.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

If CPU provided lanes work there's a good chance x570 will be fine across the board as the chipset is essentialy the Io block of a Zen 2 CPU, as opposed to an asmedia ASIC. More £££ and annoying chipset fan though.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

You can not hear chipset fan at all, not on my x570
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Confirmed that my UAD-2 Quad now works with my Ryzen 7 1700 setup.

Motherboard: Asus Prime x370-A
BIOS: 4207 (2018/12/14)
Windows 10 - 1809, build 17763.348

Super-big thanks to Dezibel for letting us all know! Heck, I'll even throw in one of these for'ya:

I appreciate this is a big ask, but any chance you could check whether the latest bios is still compatible? Considering returning my board and grabbing one of these, but would need the latest revision for Zen2 support.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'd love to help but I'm afraid I won't go that far. To me changing the bios is a potentially major thing, and flashing back isn't necessarily easy or convenient. I typically get my system running where I want it to be and then I touch nothing.

So unfortunately I can't really update the bios to check this. Trust me, if I had a spare system I'd do it, but alas...
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'd love to help but I'm afraid I won't go that far. To me changing the bios is a potentially major thing, and flashing back isn't necessarily easy or convenient. I typically get my system running where I want it to be and then I touch nothing.

So unfortunately I can't really update the bios to check this. Trust me, if I had a spare system I'd do it, but alas...
Yeah that's fair enough, I'd probably be the same if I ever got things working
Old 16th July 2019
As I posted in another thread, keep your eyes open for UAD support on ASRock boards. I doubt it will be active support but upcoming BIOSes should have a compatibility fix in them.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

So far not looking good for Zen 2, tried on every slot in an ASUS prime x470 pro (even the GPU slot) and got the same "this device cannot start, a device which does not exist was specified" message and device manager exclamation mark as on the MSI.

So either it's a bios regression, the 3000 series don't like UAD 2 cards or I'm doing something wrong.

Tried an old version of the uad drivers in case they'd changed but no joy.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

That's odd. I would contact support and ask.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's odd. I would contact support and ask.
Have tried both UA and MSI support so far, with MSI being the more helpful of the two (say they'll look into it if they can get hold of a card, will see if I can get UA to send them one).

The Asus board is going back as it was a refurb that turned up in significantly worse condition than described, so probably don't have time to go back and forth with them. As I get the exact same error on both boards I'm inclined to think it's a consequence of either the new CPU or the newer BIOS code from AMD.

Outside chance it could be a Windows 1903 thing I guess, I'm sort of assuming nobody has moved to that unless they need to.

I'm curious as to why UA can't update the card given the P in FPGA stands for Programmable, but I'm neither an expert on the PCI spec or old xilinx products so will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'd probably only lose £50 or so selling the cards and buying a second hand satellite, so might just cut my losses.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Addict
Guess I should add that my original octo satellite that became progressively unusable over 5 months was found to be defective and the new one works flawlessly with a Ryzen 1700 and B350m gaming pro board. Crossing my fingers that nothing else happens with it. Officially, I think UAD is not supposed to work with AMD usb controllers, but I’ve never read of anyone besides me having a problem. So there’s probably no real compatibility issue.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm confused. Is this usb or pcie?
Old 17th July 2019
Satellites are USB or TB.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I know, but the poster wrote "tried on every slot in an ASUS prime x470 pro" and we've constently been talking about PCIe versions of the UAD-2. It would be nice if we knew what the person was talking about specifically so we can help.

I was unaware of there being issues with USB versions.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I know, but the poster wrote "tried on every slot in an ASUS prime x470 pro" and we've constently been talking about PCIe versions of the UAD-2. It would be nice if we knew what the person was talking about specifically so we can help.

I was unaware of there being issues with USB versions.
I am talking about the uad 2 duo pcie.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, I re-read your other post. I understand now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Gave it a go with the A6 APU I'd got kicking around for BIOS updates and got a solid green light on the card straight away. Windows decided to hang before it made it to the login screen (not especially surprising given the hardware change) but it makes me suspect that this issue is based on a combination of board, bios and CPU rather than something that can be universally fixed by changing one of those parameters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There was a bios update for my MSI B450 A Pro today. Installed it and both cards came straight up. The date on the bios is before my original support request, so probably a generic rather than specific fix, i.e. there's a better than zero chance that any board/bios with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB will be work with Zen2 processors.

Was literally about to list them on eBay.
Just when I thought I was out..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lol.. great news!

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sure there's more than one person who has been wondering...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Asus PRIME X570-PRO + Ryzen 5 3600X + UAD-2 SOLO PCIe = not working with the up to date BIOS.

A pity that the laughable computing power isn't available and therefore the whole thing refuses to work.... might get rid of it with all the plugins.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search