The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread DSP Audio Systems
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetique View Post
Based on this report, I've switched yesterday my mobo MSI B350 Gaming Plus for ASUS Prime x370-A. To my surprise, nothing changed, 'no device found'. BIOS version 4207. Ryzen 2600 and Win7. I did everything possible but no luck.
So sorry to hear this!

mattiasnyc
MOB: Asus Prime x370-A (bios: 4207)
CPU: Ryzen 1700 3.2GHz

RAM:
CMR16GX4M2C3466C16
Corsair Vengeance DDR4,
16GB kit @3200MHz,

VGA: Nvidia GTX 960, 2GB
Driver Date: 12/15/2017
Driver vers: 23.21.13.8871
Actual location: Top slot, PCIe 3.0

UAD-2 Quad: WORKING
Driver Date: 1/17/2019
Driver vers: 15.48.55.581
Actual location: Bottom slot, PCIe 2.0, single lane

(My Lynx TWO-B is in the second to last PCI slot)

Please forgive me if any of this has been addressed by you already, I'm a bit pressed for time this morning but wanted to just quickly throw this out there:

- I did make an 'educated guess' as to which slot would present the least likely problem as far as IRQ goes, so that determined where I placed the card.

- I made sure the sequence of installation steps was followed according to UA's instructions. I believe they noted which gets installed first; the driver or the card (physically). Right now I can't remember which goes first.

- I had other issues after my BIOS upgrade, and those seem to have been related to memory settings having been reset, along with the need for an OS update. Once those two things were ironed out everything was fine on my system. I can not remember if the issue had any effect on my UAD-2 though since I believe I solved those issues before installing the card.

- I obviously can't type this and check my BIOS settings at the same time, so it'll have to wait, but I seem to recall that both my motherboard and Windows 10 have disabled 'fast boot' or whatever it's called, if those options exist (and I think they do). Something about recognizing cards on boot that makes a difference here for some reason.

I will maybe have time to look at different parts of my computer at some point this weekend. If you or I have any further ideas I'll certainly do whatever I can to help you figure it out.

m
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
But even I will figure it out somehow, how can I assign IRQ channels to be fixed? There seems to be no option for that in bios...
Yes... the beautiful plug&play could be a problme... on old boards with ISA you can make your own decisions but that was a even a bigger pain...

Quote:
Another question is why mattiasnyc has exactly the same mainboard and bios version and doesn't face the problem like me?
I'm not shure but wasen't the quad and octa Core Cards not the new Controller? :/
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
how can I assign IRQ channels to be fixed? There seems to be no option for that in bios...
See above post...

Quote:
Another question is why mattiasnyc has exactly the same mainboard and bios version and doesn't face the problem like me? The different CPU doesn't seem to be an issue here, for example yours Ryzen 2700x and mine 2600 differs only with count of cores and frequency, nothing more. Same chips in fact...
Yeah, something tells me the CPU shouldn't be the issue.
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Windows 10 have disabled 'fast boot' or whatever it's called
Good Idea... I'm not shure... it could be i disable "Turn on fast boot" in the energy options
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Someone has spent a bit too much time around audio equipment I see... lol...
Old 12th April 2019
Quote:
Someone has spent a bit too much time around audio equipment I see... lol...
He shure does...
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

thanks guys for keep rolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibel View Post
I'm not shure but wasen't the quad and octa Core Cards not the new Controller? :/
no, only Octa is new, the older group is Solo, Duo and Quad
and spooks reported here his DUO is working

I have also changed VGA and RAM with no sucess, so this is not a way to go...

So I've some news:
I was able to make detailed report with hwinfo64 with UAD working and after restart with UAD not working. No bios setting change, nothing. I've compared all the the stuff and found ONLY TWO differences, see the attachment. Every other data are the same. IRQ channels also seem to keep their positions.

So this is definitely nothing about the driver or software. It is either detected or not detected and this status is determined upon a power on or restart.

UAD, when detected, is on the IRQ32, let's see what else is sharing the same resource:

- IRQ32 | AMD 300-Series Chipset - GPP-Switch DSP/SATA-e | PCI Address 2:0:0
- IRQ32 | AMD 300-Series Chipset - GPP-Switch DSP/SATA-e | PCI Address 2:4:0
- IRQ32 | VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller | PCI Address 6:1:2
- IRQ32 | AMD Zen - Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B/C | PCI Address 0:8:1

All these devices mentioned above are still on the same place (IRQ), there is really no change except those two in the attachments and the fact, tjat in one UAD was on working state and 'no device found' in the other one.

Any suggestions now?
Attached Thumbnails
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread-uad_info.jpg   The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread-uad_dif.jpg   The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread-uad_dif2.jpg  
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

That's a different slot than what i used right?
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's a different slot than what i used right?
I've tried both slots upper and also bottom one, from my observations, it doesn't make any change for me.
I really don't know what to do next, I've used all the options which came through my mind. Only thing what I've not try is a different PSU, going to try right now. That's the last hope, but very less probability indeed.

Disable fast boot is great idea, at least theoretically, but unfortunately did not work also

EDIT: so now the UAD has appeared again (it's really just about a luck in my case though) and only way how to preserve it in the system is using SLEEP instead of SHUT DOWN as after sleep uad is still there, so let's see how far I can work this way

EDIT2: I don't went too far with sleep method, as after I've returned from dinner and woke up the comp, UAD has 'no device' again
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

If there's a difference between sleep and shutdown then I would definitely look at the boot sequence.

How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) | Windows Central

and section 3.8 in the motherboard manual for "fast boot" (to disable it).

If you haven't tried those two options then I recommend trying them (both set to slow/not fast).
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

So this is definitely nothing about the driver or software. It is either detected or not detected and this status is determined upon a power on or restart.

UAD, when detected, is on the IRQ32, let's see what else is sharing the same resource:

- IRQ32 | AMD 300-Series Chipset - GPP-Switch DSP/SATA-e | PCI Address 2:0:0
- IRQ32 | AMD 300-Series Chipset - GPP-Switch DSP/SATA-e | PCI Address 2:4:0
- IRQ32 | VIA VT6202 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller | PCI Address 6:1:2
- IRQ32 | AMD Zen - Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B/C | PCI Address 0:8:1

All these devices mentioned above are still on the same place (IRQ), there is really no change except those two in the attachments and the fact, tjat in one UAD was on working state and 'no device found' in the other one.

Any suggestions now?
Maybe a shot in the dark but this might come down to PCI-e voltages. Like the way some PCI cards don't work on legacy PCI slots in newer boards due to voltage differences. Might be worth it to take a closer look at that.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Maybe a shot in the dark but this might come down to PCI-e voltages. Like the way some PCI cards don't work on legacy PCI slots in newer boards due to voltage differences. Might be worth it to take a closer look at that.
I and the other person have the exact same mobos though. Mine works.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

At my System the UAD use IRQ 32
Attached Thumbnails
The AMD Ryzen & UAD 2 Thread-irq.jpg  
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I and the other person have the exact same mobos though. Mine works.
Like I said, shot in the dark. I'm keeping my eye on this thread as I have a UAD quad PCI-e card and am contemplating upgrading to Ryzen at some point. After some digging on my own I see there were similar problems on other systems over the years. I found an interesting thread on the UAD forum where the guy had similar problems on his Mac and his PC laptop (via PCI-e extension box). He concluded that it came down to the computers PSU. Here is link to that thread........

About "No Devices Found in UAD-2 PCI (QUAD/OCTO)" especially in new OS e.g. Yoswemite
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Interesting thing is that your IRQ32 is ocuppied with UAD only, in my case it's shared with 3 other devices

@ mattiasnyc as you have exactly the same mobo, it would be nice if you could past IRQ list to see, if you have UAD also on IRQ32 and if it's shared as mine is

@ Alndln thank you for that link, yes PSU change was on my spot, but did not have time for it as I've spent almost whole 2 days with config/testing resulting to one case mentioned in your link:

1) The card is only detected sometimes by random. The result is not consistent all the time.

My card, when not detected, is blinking GREEN/RED what means power is OK but will definitely try another PSU later...
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Like I said, shot in the dark.
Well actually what you say makes some sense. It's bound to be a difference between our systems, so maybe that's the problem. Can't remember what my PSU is off the top of my head..
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
On mine IRQ 35.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My card, when not detected, is blinking GREEN/RED what means power is OK but will definitely try another PSU later...
Any news?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys
I too am also having issues with the UAD2 pcie cards on a new Ryzen system
The system is :
MSI B450 tomahawk motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb ram

I have tried windows 8 and windows 10
I have updated to the latest firmware on the motherboard.
I have tried it in every slot - I have 1 UAD quad and 2 solos.
After reading this though I might have to try switching out my graphics card which is a pretty decent MSI geforce GTX 1060.
Only problem is I kinda need the GPU at the moment and since I had all this trouble with UAD I've been doing better mixes than ever before just using native plugins.
I listed my UAD cards on eBay
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I believe the short version is that UA's UAD-2 solo, duo and quad cards didn't properly work with newer motherboards due to some address space issue. UA basically gave up on fixing it because it wasn't possible on their end from what I understand (i.e. a hardware issue) and it was on someone else to try to find a solution. Then ASUS was in touch with UA because of some user and apparently changes something in their BIOS and now at least some of the cards appear to work for some of us.

But this is with ASUS boards, not MSI boards.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you Mattias
When I contacted MSI to see if they would address this with the next BIOS update from memory they said that it was code they needed from AMD and they couldn't do anything until AMD updated the code.
I spent tons of money on UAD plugins and I would love to get them all working plus have some extra DSP power. Not sure how I feel about disassembling this whole system and forking out for a new motherboard though. Fingers crossed MSI gets their act together
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, based on the other user's experience with exactly the same motherboard as mine I would feel weird about recommending a switch to ASUS. All I can say is that it's worked for some of us.

I suppose the thing is that you could just do a cost-benefit analysis and see where you're at. With the new Ryzen coming out probably within a couple of months I would imagine that first/second-gen AM4 boards are cheap, especially x3xx-series boards. A quick search says my board is found for around $120, and I would guess you could find other boards that are suitable and cheaper. So at that point I figure you'd just have to weigh whatever that amount is versus the loss you'd effectively take on selling your UAD cards.

Since ASUS seem to have gotten it to work I would imagine the ball is now in MSI's court, and that they have little incentive to push this...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Guys, hold on, I HAVE PERMANENTLY FIXED THE ISSUE!

So I was ready this evening to try another PSU as the last hope but...

my friend from G-Sonique suggested me to try one thing:
to put my UAD card from PCIe 1x slot to the graphic PCIe 16x slot
and the little m*****f***** card is working permanently now!!!

I did not even know that these slots are compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukeany View Post
Hey guys
I too am also having issues with the UAD2 pcie cards on a new Ryzen system
The system is :
MSI B450 tomahawk motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600
I had MSI before but did not try this trick mentioned above as I've sold the mobo already. Please try to put it to the PCIe x16 slot. You have two in your mobo, in first you have VGA and second is empty. Put it to the empty slot and let us know. Good luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Odd...

But glad it's working!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Nice one!
I tried in my MSI Ryzen system but still no devices found and flashing red and green LED :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone successfully reported a working UAD pcie system with Ryzen CPU and an MSI motherboard??
The satellite USB ones are fine aren't they?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nice one!
I tried in my MSI Ryzen system but still no devices found and flashing red and green LED :(
Check in device manager, if the card is there, it should be under Audio DSP accelerator beside UAD-2 system driver. If so, just reinstall UAD software and the card should work. If there is only system driver and no card, try to change VGA with UAD, so UAD will be in first upper slot and VGA in bottom second. That's, I'm afraid your last chance with this setup.

Another solution which I can confirm now is to change the mobo to any ASUS. There is no need to reinstall the whole system, your current windows would boot up normally, so you just install new mobo drivers and reactivate some of your plugs due to system change, but there is no need to install all of them again as with new windows setup and that's pretty good time saving.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Check in device manager, if the card is there, it should be under Audio DSP accelerator beside UAD-2 system driver. If so, just reinstall UAD software and the card should work. If there is only system driver and no card, try to change VGA with UAD, so UAD will be in first upper slot and VGA in bottom second. That's, I'm afraid your last chance with this setup.

Another solution which I can confirm now is to change the mobo to any ASUS. There is no need to reinstall the whole system, your current windows would boot up normally, so you just install new mobo drivers and reactivate some of your plugs due to system change, but there is no need to install all of them again as with new windows setup and that's pretty good time saving.
Amazing thank you magnetique
I will get it working somehow sooner or later!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilon View Post
I bought me the octo usb 3.0 version. Works fine
I might have to get a 2nd...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Has anyone successfully reported a working UAD pcie system with Ryzen CPU and an MSI motherboard??
The satellite USB ones are fine aren't they?
I can't get my PCIe cards to work in an ASrock motherboard, while Satellite USB works fine. So does the Octo PCIe.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search