The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Narrowed it down to x-touch or faderport 8 - advice? Control Surfaces
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Nut

I cant figure out about changing banks with the xtouch.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Not currently a feature, but there is a request for it. I hope to see it implemented.

In the meantime, there's the link button. I find the link button infinitely more useful for editing plugins. Just open your plugin, hit the link button, and hover over any parameter. The pan knob will adjust that parameter. I find it very quick and easy to edit plugins with one hand on the mouse, and the other hand on the pan knob. It was a bit clunkier when I tried mapping all the parameters, and jumping between different buttons and faders. I found that approach very awkward.
I am looking for more insight on this in particular. It makes sense in the short term, but in the long term, it seems foreboding to have to constantly open the plug in, click the parameter, move up to click the control link (or move to the keyboard to hit option-M) and then proceed.

Do these stay permanently assigned? So if I assign V-Pot 1 to gain and v-Pot 2 to peak reduction on an LA-2 plugin, I assume the pots stay assigned when I insert it on another channel or even in another project?

I am going to try and do a full mix with Studio One to see if it's something I can get used to. I hope it is. I would hate to not switch over to S1 simply because of its less than robust implementation of MC
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokentenor View Post
I am looking for more insight on this in particular. It makes sense in the short term, but in the long term, it seems foreboding to have to constantly open the plug in, click the parameter, move up to click the control link (or move to the keyboard to hit option-M) and then proceed.
NOT control link. On the Faderport 8, there is a "link" toggle button. It does not permanently set anything. When I'm editing plugins, I leave the link button engaged all the time. Any parameter you HOVER over (no need to click anything) will be controlled by the pan knob. This includes faders, buttons, plugin parameters, etc... - anything you could also set using control link.

And it's MUCH faster than mapping all the plugins parameters to buttons and faders. I mapped out 10 parameters for one of my most commonly used plugins, and I found it much more time consuming to hit the edit plugin button, then jump between faders and knobs, then click the edit plugin button again to get back to my faders. With the link, you just leave it engaged (unless you're making changed to panning of course) and hover. Super easy.

EDIT: To give an example, in case it's still a bit confusing: I use the pro-eq in Studio One a lot. Say I'm trying to kill a frequency that's making my guitars muddy. I open the plugin on the track, and hit the "link" button on my Faderport. I hover over the q control for a node, and use the pan knob to tighten it. I hover over the gain control, and I boost it with the pan knob. I hover over the frequency, and I adjust it with the pan knob to find the frequency. I then hover over the gain knob again, and drop that frequency by 2-3 db, or whatever is required. Using the pan knob. All in all, it takes only a few seconds, and does not require going into any plugin menus on the control surface. Just one hand on the mouse, and one hand on the pan knob. I've gone through multiple BCR2000s, control surfaces, etc..., and this is by far the easiest way to edit plugins and parameters I've ever used. I love it.
Old 22nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
I cant figure out about changing banks with the xtouch.
There are dedicated buttons for changing banks and channels. To the left of the transport controls.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Just got a Faderport8. Can't comment on the X-touch but I did previously have the BCF2000. I use Studio One and Mixbus also. For Studio One it's Faderport all the way. Seems to work just fine in mcu mode for mixbus though I haven't really spent a lot of time there with it.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
NOT control link. On the Faderport 8, there is a "link" toggle button. It does not permanently set anything. When I'm editing plugins, I leave the link button engaged all the time. Any parameter you HOVER over (no need to click anything) will be controlled by the pan knob. This includes faders, buttons, plugin parameters, etc... - anything you could also set using control link.

And it's MUCH faster than mapping all the plugins parameters to buttons and faders. I mapped out 10 parameters for one of my most commonly used plugins, and I found it much more time consuming to hit the edit plugin button, then jump between faders and knobs, then click the edit plugin button again to get back to my faders. With the link, you just leave it engaged (unless you're making changed to panning of course) and hover. Super easy.

EDIT: To give an example, in case it's still a bit confusing: I use the pro-eq in Studio One a lot. Say I'm trying to kill a frequency that's making my guitars muddy. I open the plugin on the track, and hit the "link" button on my Faderport. I hover over the q control for a node, and use the pan knob to tighten it. I hover over the gain control, and I boost it with the pan knob. I hover over the frequency, and I adjust it with the pan knob to find the frequency. I then hover over the gain knob again, and drop that frequency by 2-3 db, or whatever is required. Using the pan knob. All in all, it takes only a few seconds, and does not require going into any plugin menus on the control surface. Just one hand on the mouse, and one hand on the pan knob. I've gone through multiple BCR2000s, control surfaces, etc..., and this is by far the easiest way to edit plugins and parameters I've ever used. I love it.
Thanks. I use the Behringer X-Touch. It seems that I should be able to assign the "link" button to one of the buttons on the Behringer. Will it be easy for me to locate the menu command for "link" so I can assign that button and then use the control surface as you described?
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
There are dedicated buttons for changing banks and channels. To the left of the transport controls.
I can find it on my regular xtouch but I cant seem to find it on my xtouch mini.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

I have a behringer x-touch and use it with FL studio in MCU mode and recommend using it with the Bome Midi Translator, you can quickly configure the many buttons on the right hand side to work with any DAW that you are using as long as the DAW has keyboard shortcuts, this way the buttons will do exactly as they say they will
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudroadmusic View Post
I have a behringer x-touch and use it with FL studio in MCU mode and recommend using it with the Bome Midi Translator, you can quickly configure the many buttons on the right hand side to work with any DAW that you are using as long as the DAW has keyboard shortcuts, this way the buttons will do exactly as they say they will
Please, tell me more about this. Do the scribble strips work? Can you use the extenders with it? From what you said, you're saying you can program the Function buttons to perform various tasks (like open the Mixer, Audio settings, playlist, etc.?)
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Please, tell me more about this. Do the scribble strips work? Can you use the extenders with it? From what you said, you're saying you can program the Function buttons to perform various tasks (like open the Mixer, Audio settings, playlist, etc.?)
Sure thing, the BOME MIDI Translator I am using basically intercepts MIDI messages from the buttons on the controller and allow you to map keyboard shortcuts or other MIDI messages to the buttons instead.
So if your DAW has hotkeys for various functions, eg F5 for playlist F7 for piano roll F8 for mixer then you can just assign any button on the controller to these (you would have to memorise the button though and know the DAW shortcuts too).

I have some buttons mapped to undo (Ctrl-Z) and some to Quantize (Alt-Q) for my DAW. So sequences of buttons can be triggered by one button on the controller.

I am not sure if it works with the scribble strips nor extenders as I dont use the controller extenders, but all the various buttons on the right can be intercepted. And the software I think can work with any device that sends MIDI signals but I use it for my x-touch and it does indeed work. You can even remap your MIDI keyboard notes to function buttons and function buttons to keyboard notes, so you can play a melody on the controller buttons if you really wanted to...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search