The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replicating CLA Drums Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

Replicating CLA Drums

I recently purchased the CLA Artist series from Waves. Despite using a quality SSL 4000 emulation (softube console 1) and R-Bass, I can't mimick the kick setting. It sounds superb, truly excellent. I need some help!

So far the closest I have come is making a huge cut at 500hz with a wide Q. Then running Rbass in parrallel on an aux at 35hz. I have tried many different compressors, all to no avail. Even the high end I can't emulate.....maybe it's a bell at 16k? For air?

Half the time I like what I'm doing to the kick better, the other half, it just isn't close....CLA hands down.

Maybe someone can help me out here.

Also, CLA bass is amazing. I can't come close, I have just cut my losses on that. I use it every mix.
Old 20th June 2017
Super extreme mid scoop would get you similar results. But I sometimes think CLA drums kick setting might blend some of his samples in parallel. Who knows really.
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

I thought the same thing!!!

It sounds eerily similar regardless of the track. I'm thinking there may be a sample in there. Also, it makes the track stereo so maybe some widening as well? Could just be for the reverb though.....

Whatever the case, it sounds great.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

I really don't think there's any samples and the stereo thing is likely because of the reverb as mentioned.

I tried matching it with Pro Q and with Console 1 and feel that I got very close.. In Console 1 try the following:

LF: Bell, 52Hz, 5.9dB
LMF: Q 2.7, 0.84kHz, -18dB
HMF Q 2.3, 1 kHz, 3.8dB
HF: Shelf, 8.1kHz, 7.8dB

Here's an example:
Attached Files

CLA Kick Loop - Dry.mp3 (297.1 KB, 1827 views)

CLA Kick Loop - CLA Drums.mp3 (297.1 KB, 1784 views)

CLA Kick Loop - Pro Q.mp3 (297.1 KB, 1736 views)

CLA Kick Loop - Console 1.mp3 (297.1 KB, 1763 views)

Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
I really don't think there's any samples and the stereo thing is likely because of the reverb as mentioned.
He does use a stereo kik and snare sample along with the regular kik and snr, mostly it seems to give stereo ambience, but if you watch the Slate Vid he processes those samples pretty hard too from what i recall.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
He does use a stereo kik and snare sample along with the regular kik and snr, mostly it seems to give stereo ambience, but if you watch the Slate Vid he processes those samples pretty hard too from what i recall.
Just to clear up any possible confusion I'm speaking solely of the Waves plug-in that was mentioned in the original post, not CLA's techniques in general.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Just to clear up any possible confusion I'm speaking solely of the Waves plug-in that was mentioned in the original post, not CLA's techniques in general.
Yes but given that seems to be his technique it wouldn't be surprising if the plug automatically instantiated his samples or similar.
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

It sounds like you got his EQ curves perfect on the samples you gave. I can't help but to notice I'm just hearing more sub frequencies in the CLA plug-in example. I bet some Rbass in parallel would do the trick. The attack/knock on the CLA example is a little softer too. That may be because of the difference between the waves SSL emulation and the softube emulation.

I find the difference more pronounced when I'm dealing with a crappy kick recording. That's where the CLA plug-in really outshines me.....which makes me a little suspicious even still that there is a sample involved.
Old 20th June 2017
Here for the gear

If my memory serves me correctly, I was boosting the Lowe's around 65 and making a huge cut around 500 with a wide Q and it was pretty close .....I ran Rbass at 35 hertz in parallel. It sounds like you got a lot closer than I did though
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Guru

If you have the CLA plugin and you like the CLA plugin, why are you trying to get there with different plugins? I don't understand this thread at all.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
If you have the CLA plugin and you like the CLA plugin, why are you trying to get there with different plugins? I don't understand this thread at all.
Maybe just to know how it works would be my guess, makes sense to me.
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear

For the same reason you learn the lead parts to your favorite guitar solo. Then, you can make it your own once you have it down....tweaking this or that. Over time, you develop your own style.
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear

"I'm Alright" is the file with my processing (using console 1) on the kick. It's my first bounce so I tweaked a couple things on the second bounce.

"Angels" console one is what I settled on using CLA kick. I can hear the difference.

Take a listen if you are interested.
Attached Files

Im Alright Console 1 Final.mp3 (3.44 MB, 1345 views)

Angels Console 1 2.0.mp3 (3.44 MB, 1336 views)

Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Reincarnating this old thread.

I'd also like to replicate CLA plugins. The reason for me (besides the obvious educational purpose) is to use it live and CLA plugins introduce latency so I want to get as close as possible by using zero latency plugins.

So if anyone has anything to add please do
Old 28th January 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

You can see his exact EQ and compression techniques as well as get his drum samples in his audio legends mixing course.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
You can see his exact EQ and compression techniques as well as get his drum samples in his audio legends mixing course.

Cheers,
Steven
Thank for the input, I've watched some of it, and will watch more. It's obviously interesting, but not quite what I'm after.

I'm really hoping to clone CLA plugins, in particular CLA Drums, Bass, Guitars and Vocals.
I use these and get great results but they introduce latency, and I basically want the same effect without latency, for live use.

I did EQ matching which is the easy one, but obviously only one aspect. All these plugins also have various instrument specific settings such as compression, distortion, sub, reverb, etc. Plus I'm sure some magic spice.

So it's rather complex recipe, perhaps too complex, but I managed to get similar results with kick and snare at least.
Old 28th January 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk303 View Post
Thank for the input, I've watched some of it, and will watch more. It's obviously interesting, but not quite what I'm after.

I'm really hoping to clone CLA plugins, in particular CLA Drums, Bass, Guitars and Vocals.
I use these and get great results but they introduce latency, and I basically want the same effect without latency, for live use.

I did EQ matching which is the easy one, but obviously only one aspect. All these plugins also have various instrument specific settings such as compression, distortion, sub, reverb, etc. Plus I'm sure some magic spice.

So it's rather complex recipe, perhaps too complex, but I managed to get similar results with kick and snare at least.
Ahhh I get it. Yes those are really great plugins. How much latency do they add?

Steven
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Ahhh I get it. Yes those are really great plugins. How much latency do they add?

Steven
CLA Guitars adds 106 samples, CLA Drums adds 65 samples, CLA Vocals 193, etc.
That's in Reaper and it may depend on sampling frequency, not sure.

But my policy is to only use zero latency plugins. The only exception would be reverb where latency becomes predelay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search