The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting a new Macbook Pro Control Surfaces
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Getting a new Macbook Pro

Greetings!

So I've been using a Macbook Pro laptop for quite some time and i think it's time for an upgrade. The thing is, that the new Macbook pros have just 1 usb port and seems to be not as good as the previous one they've released.

Do people here ever bought a Macbook pro over Ebay? or an online store? Any recomindations for that?

I want to get the previous generation Macbook pro, with 8-16gb ram and a powerful processor.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Don't where you are but there's always the refurb site of Apple where you can buy full warranty models of past when they show up. And the 2015 15" is still available for sale as new.

KA
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Don't where you are but there's always the refurb site of Apple where you can buy full warranty models of past when they show up. And the 2015 15" is still available for sale as new.

KA
Yeah, that's the issue they don't deliver to where im at...

Thanks though!
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Also, if i end up buying one of these new Macbook pros, are the various USB ports reliable? connecting a sound interface and some controllers?
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict
Yes the new macbook pro has usbc connectors..they are backwards compatible with proper adapter. Im using connecting my usb c ssd drive and i lock and prism lyra...all good...no need to buy an old one
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post
Greetings!

So I've been using a Macbook Pro laptop for quite some time and i think it's time for an upgrade. The thing is, that the new Macbook pros have just 1 usb port and seems to be not as good as the previous one they've released.

Do people here ever bought a Macbook pro over Ebay? or an online store? Any recomindations for that?

I want to get the previous generation Macbook pro, with 8-16gb ram and a powerful processor.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
The MBP had a refresh just a couple of weeks ago along with an unexpectedly decent jump in performance. They are no longer the same/marginally less than the pre-Nov 2016 version - this is the improvement that the last refresh should have been (and would have been if the new processors were available then). Definitely worth looking at now, though still damn expensive. I'm a little unsure of the port situation you describe as as these have 2 or 4 thunderbolt 3 ports. You can see a comparison of models here.
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

@ dr_Jezz I connect a sound interface via USB and a PUSH2 controller...the new MBP have 1 USB port..
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post
@ dr_Jezz I connect a sound interface via USB and a PUSH2 controller...the new MBP have 1 USB port..
EDIT- I see, you mean via the thunderbolt. Still, the new ones do look a lot better now IMHO.

Edit 2 - no, still confused, there are 2 or 4 aren't there? Never mind - if I'm wrong just ignore me!
Old 30th June 2017
Here for the gear

So I'm in the market for a new MBP and was ready to buy one of the new 13" models that run $1799 with 3.1 ghz, 256gb SSD, and 8gb ram, but then I saw the 2016 model for the same price with 2.9ghz, 512gb SSD, and 16gb ram. Am I wrong to think that for my money the bigger HDD and twice the ram is a smarter buy even if I'm sacrificing a little processor speed and touch ID?
Old 30th June 2017
Here for the gear

Good choice to go with the previous model, the USB-c ports will give you trouble later, not to mention all the dongles you will need to connect your older gear.

Why not just look at your closest electronics store? They usually have the older macbook models.
Old 30th June 2017
Here for the gear

This is a late 2016 model so it is usb-c only too but it says it has touch ID so that's one less sacrifice. Any other feedback?
Old 30th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG83 View Post
This is a late 2016 model so it is usb-c only too but it says it has touch ID so that's one less sacrifice. Any other feedback?
I was actually replying to the topic starter but I can offer some advice for you too.

So in terms of hard drive storage, it depends on what you are using the macbook for. Music production? Video editing?

Keep in mind you can always buy an external hard drive, it keeps your hard drive nice and clean, and gives you a good 1 TB extra space for all your files. The drives are very small and portable.

So I'd say dont worry too much about the SSD, but look at the processor and RAM.

So again, what are you using the computer for? Do you want a quicker processor to perhaps render videos several seconds quicker? Or for music production where you are going to stack multiple plugins in one project which is quite heavy for a CPU?

I'd probably choose the 16GB ram over a quicker processor since I produce music - Most newer macbook processor can handle the plugins properly so you wouldn't notice a big difference for this type of work. The lower RAM however becomes a problem when I can't stack more than 6 CPU heavy plugins before the fan starts running like hell.
Old 1st July 2017
Here for the gear

Oh sorry for the mix up but thanks for responding. I am doing music. Some light recording, composing/production, and mixing.
Old 4th July 2017
Gear Addict

Went to the store to get a Macbook pro, got an iMac instead. Processor, Ram, enough USB and fusion drive. Done.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search