The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gaming Laptops vs MacBook Pro (both loaded)
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Gaming Laptops vs MacBook Pro (both loaded)

This is my situation. I have a "One Room" Studio. I record in the same room that has been heavily treated. However, I do mostly mixing in it. I have a 2015 2.5 GHZ MacBook Pro that performs well BUT, oh the fan noise! It's loud enough that when mixing for detail, the fan noise gets in the way. I DO mix with a lot of plugins and Virtual instruments using Cubase 9. The Mbp is fine until it's called upon to do a lot. It still performs well BUT the fan is noisy.

I was thinking about getting another Laptop (obviously not a mbp) that doesn't sound like a "harrier jet" when asked to does a lot. I have skills on both platforms (PC & Mac) so that's not a big deal. I was informed that gaming laptops even outperform 2013 Mac Pros but I found nothing online on how loud they get. I wanted to see if anyone has recently tested a gaming laptop vs a MBp and how they performed vs their fan noise?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 

Running Cubase 8 on my MBP was nothing but a fan-fest. Unusable,specially if youre working in small spaces.
On my small Acer i7 is running like a champ. Definitely go PC.
It doesnt have to be a gaming laptop imho they re big and ugly.
There are quite a few offerings from Asus/Acer or even Lenovo,with gaming like performance without the bulkiness(and ugliness I might add!)

P.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Well, if you don't like fan noise... A game laptop is nothing you should ever look at.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Nut
 

If you do very lean and minimal productions a dualcore i7 could be ideal (it has served me well for three years now, with only ITB production. Intel m-series is fanless, but then I guess you shoudl probably stick to o ly use midi or an old copy of Reason..
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

If you're at mixing stage, did you try freezing the VIs so your laptop only deals with audio tracks and related plugins?

KA
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Why not getting a desktop for the room, more power, good fans, done.
Use the MBP for mobile stuff. Best of both worlds.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Why not getting a desktop for the room, more power, good fans, done.
Use the MBP for mobile stuff. Best of both worlds.
I'd go this way. More power, less noise, can also be more cost-effective.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Gaming laptops are usually heavy in the graphics card department. You won't take advantage of that in audio production.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
3rdpath's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Why not getting a desktop for the room, more power, good fans, done.
Use the MBP for mobile stuff. Best of both worlds.
I just went from a quad i7 MBP in the studio back to a cMP desktop. The fan noise difference is night and day. I even had my laptop on a raised stand with built-in USB powered fans to help it stay cool. That gave me double the fan noise.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Gaming laptops are usually heavy in the graphics card department. You won't take advantage of that in audio production.
I usually like to use 2 or more monitors at a high resolution. The more powerful videos cards usually have a better ability to handle more monitors. Not just because of their power but they seem to have more multi monitor features without running them at just 1020 x 780 (or whatever).
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
If you're at mixing stage, did you try freezing the VIs so your laptop only deals with audio tracks and related plugins?

KA
This absolutely helps a lot. The freeze feature allows me to play more tracks. But, the problem is it doesn't take much for the MacBook Pro fan to "get going".
Old 6 days ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I usually like to use 2 or more monitors at a high resolution. The more powerful videos cards usually have a better ability to handle more monitors. Not just because of their power but they seem to have more multi monitor features without running them at just 1020 x 780 (or whatever).
You don't need a powerful video card to run multiple screens. It rather depends on the standard used. 4K needs DP1.2 or HDMI2.0 to run @ 60Hz. Anything below (full HD) runs at 60Hz on pretty much every output available.
Old 5 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You don't need a powerful video card to run multiple screens. It rather depends on the standard used. 4K needs DP1.2 or HDMI2.0 to run @ 60Hz. Anything below (full HD) runs at 60Hz on pretty much every output available.
Good points! Theoretically you're right. Unfortunately with my experience some Laptops/Video cards fall short. Either you have to go through more hoops to get them to work or lose video performance. Higher end video cards usually because of their feature set, tend to handle more monitors, easier.
Old 5 days ago
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Good points! Theoretically you're right. Unfortunately with my experience some Laptops/Video cards fall short. Either you have to go through more hoops to get them to work or lose video performance. Higher end video cards usually because of their feature set, tend to handle more monitors, easier.
Well, I'm not a laptop expert, I mainly deal with workstation GPU's. I even did some gaming with a W8100 and a P6000...
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump