The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Reverb Plugins you own and how many
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I have and love it,too.

What would you guys recommend for an alternative for it when looking for heavy modulated colorful reverb for synth sounds?

Or just use delays with fab r?
For me if I want that colorful reverb I use the Vahalla stuff. ProR is my go to for regular duties.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
If I weren't also broke and had the jing I'd get Sonsig sight-unseen just based on how good the other Relab reverbs are that I've heard. Good, good ears over there. Still it's on on my ToGet list and will be by boutique reverb along with ACON Verberate 2 and SIR3 some sunny day this year.

But that $10 a month "rental" deal from Relab has me thinking, that's always affordable. And soon I am likely to have a month of bliss for the price of... borrowing a friend $10 for their own subscription (leggo my iLok)
Yeah just rent the bundle. Subscriptions are perfect for your scenario.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Just got it from everyplugin.com for 24 bucks.

I am taking a punt, as the demo video is absolutely horrendous.. 7 minutes and no real world mixing situations/guitar and verb demos as people would actually use it. They are just being stupid with special FX, but I had no idea when the sale ends and didn't want to lose it at that price.

My strategy - download the 2 week demo now, and try it on some EP's and guitars, a big range of them.
If I don't like them, i sell the unused ilok license code when the price goes up.
If I do like it, I authorise my ilok.

Simple!

Thanks for the heads up about it anyway
Yeah, for me, this Eventide just ain't it, at all. The UAD spring is the only one I can even tolerate, and in fact really enjoy. It also happens to model a totally different kind of spring reverb than basically every other spring plugin on the market. I've looked and basically surrendered to UAD being the only one I can use for now.

Edit: I should point out, my use case for springs is on synths, not guitars. But a great spring can do wonders for a synth. See: Moog Grandmother
Old 4 weeks ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Yeah, for me, this Eventide just ain't it, at all. The UAD spring is the only one I can even tolerate, and in fact really enjoy. It also happens to model a totally different kind of spring reverb than basically every other spring plugin on the market. I've looked and basically surrendered to UAD being the only one I can use for now.

Edit: I should point out, my use case for springs is on synths, not guitars. But a great spring can do wonders for a synth. See: Moog Grandmother
I only use springs on guitars and *sometimes* ep's, period.

So.. yeah.. different strokes for different folks

I have finally installed it and about to give it a whirl Been busy writing a new song today, came out great
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Totally agree that the video and audio demos are awful.
The video is terrible - just slap a normal setting on a normal source like a guitar ffs. I don't know why they seem to be targeting this as a weird fx for electronic musucians...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway View Post
My favorite Reverb is definitely Nimbus, and I've tried everything (except UAD because I'm not invested in their platform).

I made a whole album of classic IDM music after discovering Nimbus (yes this is a shameless self promotional plug, but relatively on point): Nimbus gave me the kind of 'transparent space' I'd been looking for to do this kind of clinical, hi-fi music; in case anyone is curious, you can listen to the songs here: https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases

I also own R4, and though it gets many raves out there, I don't really use it; I still choose Nimbus over it nearly every time, but they may just be a matter of given musical styles more than 'quality'.

I think the post above from the guy saying he can't get any of these expensive plugin verbs to sound right on his Moog synth is interesting and personally compelling as a discussion, because I've always found synths + verb to be much harder to get sounding right than real instruments (or sampled instruments) + verb.

Soft-synths especially seem the most difficult to put in a nice space. I'm not talking about big washy spaced-out tails, those are easy, and blackhole or Valhalla Vintage can do that stuff in mere seconds; I'm talking about rooms and chambers, when you just want the synth to feel like it's in a space, not 'dry' and 'in front of your face' or 'next to your ears' -- that particular experience of something being too up front in the mix. I once created a thread at KVR about the Kraftwerk album 'Man Machine' and how all the synths on it sound so perfectly 'in a space' and not dry / up-front the way modern soft-synths do. Even when they don't have 'obvious reverb', they still sit a little ways back...General consensus there was that their synths were recorded in a literal reverb chamber, capturing that actual space (never confirmed, but likely true of the time). I tried Abbey Road Chambers from Waves to attempt to recreate this, but that thing was a nightmare; not only did it not sound that great on synths, it was also an insane CPU hog and seemed to destabilize my whole DAW (ableton).

One reverb that I've used a lot over the years to achieve this sort of thing on softsynths (prior to buying Nimbus) is Uhbik-A from the Uhbik collection. It's very good at just adding some space (with the 'small' algorithm selected) that feels convincing and not flat. I use it as an insert to do this, as a send it never seems to sound right.

I'm always interested, though, in how other people are getting this done with soft-synths + verb beyond the standard VVV for spaciness, etc.

Reamp.
Old 4 weeks ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
The video is terrible - just slap a normal setting on a normal source like a guitar ffs. I don't know why they seem to be targeting this as a weird fx for electronic musucians...
Well I spent a good half hour with it and it's indeed a great guitar verb. I tried it on multiple guitar recordings and it worked well on all of them, so, definitely a keeper. Just ignore the video and try the demo. Great plugin.

Last edited by TNM; 4 weeks ago at 11:27 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Soft-synths especially seem the most difficult to put in a nice space. I'm not talking about big washy spaced-out tails, those are easy, and blackhole or Valhalla Vintage can do that stuff in mere seconds; I'm talking about rooms and chambers, when you just want the synth to feel like it's in a space, not 'dry' and 'in front of your face' or 'next to your ears' -- that particular experience of something being too up front in the mix. I once created a thread at KVR about the Kraftwerk album 'Man Machine' and how all the synths on it sound so perfectly 'in a space' and not dry / up-front the way modern soft-synths do. Even when they don't have 'obvious reverb', they still sit a little ways back...General consensus there was that their synths were recorded in a literal reverb chamber, capturing that actual space (never confirmed, but likely true of the time). I tried Abbey Road Chambers from Waves to attempt to recreate this, but that thing was a nightmare; not only did it not sound that great on synths, it was also an insane CPU hog and seemed to destabilize my whole DAW (ableton).

[...]

I'm always interested, though, in how other people are getting this done with soft-synths + verb beyond the standard VVV for spaciness, etc.
Try a pair of DearVRs (a pair because you need to place left/right channels in space separately), to me it is really convincing for that type of thing. I treat this as an integral part of the sound, usually bounced or as an insert (with Metaplugin). Just remember to maintain a realistic relation between left/right channels and that any kind of pan is better done within the plugins rather than in your DAW (a bit cumbersome, but worth it, you can make it a bit easier with some meta-controls).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you mean room spaces...

Both UAD Capital Chambers and Ocean Way Studios depending on your objectives.

I'm sure someone else will say there is an alternative to UAD.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

EDIT: wrong thread
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search