The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Nucleus 1 HEEEEELLP!! Control Surfaces
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear

SSL Nucleus 1 HEEEEELLP!!

Hi.

Just purchased used. I Havnt used midi for over a decade, so logics port system is lost on me.
Heres my issue:

Controls work. Faders, lights, strips on the left do not.

Ip midi installed set to 6 ports. But it dosnt show in the midi folder under library/ audio. I can't seem to find out where its being installed

SSL nucleus left and right have been chosen as control surfaces in logic. Set to port 1 and 2 according to daw 1 in the nucleus remote.

Faders and lights work when powering up so it's not a hardware issue.

I'm on logic 10.3. iMac 27 i7 2013 with El Capitan. ipmidi 1.7. Nucleus software updated to 1.6/2. I run apollo 8 and Twin mkII via thunderbolt as my interface and havnt installed the USB driver for the ssl sound card.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th June 2017
Here for the gear

I Think I have narrowed it Down to the Nucleus not recieving MIDI. Since allmost all controllers work, but fader movement, indicators and strips with info from Logic isn't working I'm assuming this is the problem. Could it be the cable simply?
Also. The audio input seems to be getting info from the nucleus. The meter on one channel keeps showing incoming signals and when I press a key on Nucleus it shows on the signal level.
Can anybody please chime in if they have the smallest idea? I have deleted midi files from preferences but it didn't do anything.

Thanks
Rune
Old 14th June 2017
OK, you'll see IP MIDI appear in the Audio/MIDI utility.

I had some issues with the various versions of IP MIDI, and ended up trying both 1.6 & 1.7.

That's where you'll see it. It won't appear in Logic (it's not meant to really).

Stupid question - you've got the ethernet connected? Make sure that WIFI is turned OFF.
I do recall having a similar issue when I built my new machine, and it was that the Mac was seeing Nuc but over WIFI.
Do you see it in the Nucleus Remote software?

Have you set up DAW1 with the Logic template?

hope this helps a bit.
Old 14th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
OK, you'll see IP MIDI appear in the Audio/MIDI utility.

I had some issues with the various versions of IP MIDI, and ended up trying both 1.6 & 1.7.

That's where you'll see it. It won't appear in Logic (it's not meant to really).

Stupid question - you've got the ethernet connected? Make sure that WIFI is turned OFF.
I do recall having a similar issue when I built my new machine, and it was that the Mac was seeing Nuc but over WIFI.
Do you see it in the Nucleus Remote software?

Have you set up DAW1 with the Logic template?

hope this helps a bit.
I have done all of the above. Maybe except run ipmidi 1.6 as I am on an i7 which I assume is 64bit? The Nuc is online in the nucleus remote as well and logic is chosen as daw. I reset manually as it didn't always prompt that th nucleus needs to be reset. The nucleus is connected via Ethernet directly to the mac. The up is 1.1 on the iMac and 1.2 on the nuc.

Any ideas?
Old 14th June 2017
Well, if you've been able to set the 6 channels for IPMIDI, then don't worry about 1.6 vs 1.7.

Can't check all my settings as I'm at work, and my Nuc is at home :D

Will check my network settings when I get in.

Dan
Old 14th June 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks. Frustrering. Because the condition is mint and i Got it at a nice price plus the pres are awesome. I've been through a dozen controllers since steinberg Houston and this thing is beyond what I've worked with so far, even though practical nothing works it is already far more musical than mixing with a mouse.
Old 15th June 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Dan.

Did you check to see if your settings are anything out of the ordinary? I emailed ssl this Monday but I still haven't heard anything.

Thanks
Rune
Old 17th June 2017
Here for the gear

Is it possible that it is some setting from when I used the iPad app to control logic? I have deleted both the plist file and the other file, but no go.
Old 21st June 2017
Hi matey,

Sorry got caught up with some projects and it slipped my mind. Will check when I get home (calendar reminder set up!)
Old 21st June 2017
OK, I've just screen grabbed my settings - pretty straightforward tbh.

To confirm: 6 IP channels (DAW1 = IP Midi 1&2, DAW2 = IP Midi 3&4, DAW3 = IP Midi 5&6) - I've not used DAW3 yet.
My DAW1 is Logic & DAW2 is ProTools. THIS IS IMPORTANT - check the IPMIDIs are set to the right DAW.

In the Nucleus remote confirmation (for both DAW1/Logic & DAW2/ProTools)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...psdtxslhvs.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...psqeypvec4.png
Ensure that your WIFI is switched off, otherwise you will get partial control.

Nucleus Setup in Network settings -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...psqeypvec4.png

Confirmation in Logic that the layer is setup -
Mackie#1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...pse1jlj7el.png

Mackie#2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...pspaduidvg.png

Confirmation of Layers in ProTools -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...psrnoocbim.png

Hope this helps.

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 21st June 2017 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: photobucket/site being a dick - just click on the links
Old 3rd August 2017
Here for the gear

@ ScoobyDoo555 what os are you using (I'm unable to see the pics you posted)

Im running os Sierra and can't open the ipmidi
Old 7th August 2017
Sorry buddy, just seen this. Yeh - I was using photo bucket and they've now pulled 3rd party hosting (i.e. goodbye!)

To answer your question - I'm now running Sierra 10.12.6 and am using IPMIDI 1.7
Old 7th August 2017
Here for the gear

Hi.
Sorry I got away from this thread. My problem was partly this..... I used the SSL video on YouTube and the IP address was wrong....... once I cracked open the Manuel the faders came alive. Embarrassed ������ Once I downgraded to 10.1.1 pretty much everything else came alive except for some minor things like the mixer window and automation with solo, I can cut but not solo. Plus other things that I can work around but really don't understand why ssl don't fix. I upgraded to 10.3 and it worked there pretty much except for control of plugs on insert on the stereo out, so downgraded to 10.2. I'm on El Capitan. I like the nuc but I'm glad I paid less than a third of its retail price. I'm thinking of going for the focusrite 2802 now, mostly because of monitoring, bus comp. and the daw controll. Really the ssl is nice, but it's not quiiiiiiite there for me. I want it to be but I have to test the other and sell the one I don't want.

Last edited by Run_e; 12th August 2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 3rd February 2018
Here for the gear

Thought maybe someone here could help me setup my Nucleus as Im having issues...

So after lots of trouble, I now got ipmidi working AND the Nucleus is showing up green and connected in my ssl remote but it still doesnt have proper contact...still get the osx message regarding that there is another device with the same IP and that I should reconnect later...I had the wifi off as well...

Also the internal display of the Nucleus is showing squares...which I dont think is a good sign, I guess its probably cause its not properly connected yet, but still annoying...(see pic)

The first time it showed green and connected in ssl remote it showed all the soft key assignments and the dropdown bar with all the different daw profiles was available, now though the soft keys dont show up, and the daw profiles drop down list is empty...drives me crazy this thing...

Run_e you mentioned using the ssl video ip and that it was wrong...how did you solve this? I am completely new to ipmidi and using ethernet connections so I have no idea how think around it all...

Any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Nucleus 1 HEEEEELLP!!-screen-shot-2018-02-03-12.02.02-pm.jpg   SSL Nucleus 1 HEEEEELLP!!-screen-shot-2018-02-03-12.05.55-pm.jpg  
Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear

Try this as I SSL UK sorted my issue out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B3 View Post
Thought maybe someone here could help me setup my Nucleus as Im having issues...

So after lots of trouble, I now got ipmidi working AND the Nucleus is showing up green and connected in my ssl remote but it still doesnt have proper contact...still get the osx message regarding that there is another device with the same IP and that I should reconnect later...I had the wifi off as well...

Also the internal display of the Nucleus is showing squares...which I dont think is a good sign, I guess its probably cause its not properly connected yet, but still annoying...(see pic)

The first time it showed green and connected in ssl remote it showed all the soft key assignments and the dropdown bar with all the different daw profiles was available, now though the soft keys dont show up, and the daw profiles drop down list is empty...drives me crazy this thing...

Run_e you mentioned using the ssl video ip and that it was wrong...how did you solve this? I am completely new to ipmidi and using ethernet connections so I have no idea how think around it all...

Any ideas???
Have you put the Computer into a static IP address, IP to 192.168.1.1 Subnet to 255.255.0.0 and the Gateway to 192.168.1.2?

Once we can get this working in this manner then we add in the switch option to be be able to get internet and IPmidi working through the same port.

The router is not intended for this job and that is why you are having issues.

We recommend that you use a switch between this and your internet router. One like this is perfect and it is what I am using on my test setup.

NETGEAR GS108UK 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This is definitely one way comms and putting the PC in this manner will sort this issue out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search