The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora N Questions
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Addict

Lynx Aurora N Questions

My PC motherboard has a USB C(Thunderbolt 3) connection. What adapter should I buy that will work with no hiccups? Is the Aurora N Thunderbolt 2?
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
My PC motherboard has a USB C(Thunderbolt 3) connection. What adapter should I buy that will work with no hiccups? Is the Aurora N Thunderbolt 2?
We have tested this Startech and it worked well. But even better is the Apple one, since it is smaller and bi-directional.

LT-TB is Thunderbolt 1. All Thunderbolt 2 did was combine the two lanes of data into one. There was no improvement in audio performance. They did this for video.

To keep things in perspective.....We ran six Aurora 16s, each in 32 channel mode and daisy-chained via Thunderbolt (you must be able to daisy-chain six devices to fully be in Thunderbolt spec...something to ask about when looking at Thunderbolt converters), and we ran those 192 channels (six Auroras in 32 channel mode) at 192KHz. With all that, we were using about 10% of the available bandwidth. So no one should get too hung up over Thunderbolt 2 for audio.

We are keeping an eye on Thunderbolt 3...
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicoletti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
We have tested this Startech and it worked well. But even better is the Apple one, since it is smaller and bi-directional.

LT-TB is Thunderbolt 1. All Thunderbolt 2 did was combine the two lanes of data into one. There was no improvement in audio performance. They did this for video.

To keep things in perspective.....We ran six Aurora 16s, each in 32 channel mode and daisy-chained via Thunderbolt (you must be able to daisy-chain six devices to fully be in Thunderbolt spec...something to ask about when looking at Thunderbolt converters), and we ran those 192 channels (six Auroras in 32 channel mode) at 192KHz. With all that, we were using about 10% of the available bandwidth. So no one should get too hung up over Thunderbolt 2 for audio.

We are keeping an eye on Thunderbolt 3...
Long time Aurora8 (LTTB currently) user here:

When will Aurora 8N TB be available with onboard AES connections?

Will Aurora N (w/ onboard AES) still have 3 BNC outs?

How many channels of AES will it be?

Can we install/use our old LTTB for Aurora N?
(possibly save cost for existing users)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search